Non GS But still very important.

No. I'm sure he's a fine gent, and the world is a better place for his presence, but why is he more important than any other soldier who risked his life in less glamorous engagements?

How come, after all these years (70 of them) he hasn't been given one before if he is so deserving? That is an aweful lot of Queens birthday and New Years Honours to have been passed up.

I signed it anyway because it is better than some 28 year old footballer who doesn't know the meaning of the honour, just asking?

No. I'm sure he's a fine gent, and the world is a better place for his presence, but why is he more important than any other soldier who risked his life in less glamorous engagements?

For a start a higher proportion of them died. In reality they were all heroes. The dambusters were special. We all owe them and their colegues a very great debt. And I'm an Irishman. JJH

Nah! sorry!

There was a time when things like Knighthood and enoblement meant something, probably when George "Johnny" Johnson was a young man.

Today, they are just meaningless titles bestowed on anyone.

I would not wish to degrade this brave mans honour with such a worthless title.

:nenau

I don't really understand your logic. Shouldn't, therefore, bomb disposal experts deserve a knighthood?

Yes. Remember uxb? As I said the dambusters were special. They were all heroes. As we move foreword to a new world era remember the sacrifices of that generation that gave us the world stability that we have known for the last 70 years. Yes but what about this and that which happend since? (Pick your own war) well what would the alternative been like? JJH

Job done. A more worthy nomination would be hard to find.

Shame on you, Snowdrop, for your sad thoughts.

For a start a higher proportion of them died. In reality they were all heroes. The dambusters were special. We all owe them and their colegues a very great debt. And I'm an Irishman. JJH
Some where around 57000 aircrew died in service ,
A couple of books that were written by survivors, that bring home the reality of that particular theatre of war make EXTREMELY compelling and harrowing reading
Bombers moon by Don Charnwood
First light. by Geoffrey Wellum

Shame on you, Snowdrop, for your sad thoughts.

Snowdrop? :duno Was he an MP? Or are you using the latest american pathetic insult to describe a liberal? Robert Lewis Howard in my opinion...he is the man the Dude, one hardcore soldier

He needs to release a few albums or win some major sporting event first before been considered for a knighthood fighting for his country and risking is life is never enough.

Signed :beerjug:

Snowdrop? :duno Was he an MP? Or are you using the latest american pathetic insult to describe a liberal? Robert Lewis Howard in my opinion...he is the man the Dude, one hardcore soldier

To you - I can be anything you wish for.
Just close your eyes tightly and imagine it.
;)

I agree. As far as I know all the Dambusters crews were decorated for that mission, but did they all receive Knighthoods? I don't think so, but if the last surviving receives a Knighthood then shouldn't the others have parity? To be honest, I'm not clear as to whether a Knighthood can be awarded posthumously.

Bomber Command has been treated shabbily - I think this award is not only justified but highly deserved and long overdue.

Bomber Command crews were indeed treated shabbily. Maybe to avoid claims of war crimes by their leaders. Arthur Harris especially.

It's sad to say that so many brave men fought valiantly and died but many of the missions were verging on (if not actually) criminal. Dresden the usual example had some military significance but to fire storm a medieval town was more likely done to impress Stalin.
Some will say the numbers of civilians killed put the Dambusters raid into the same category.
That doesn't take away from the efforts made by the flight crews but it does explain why bomber command got ignored in the various gong departments.

Sent somehow.

Back
Top Bottom