Recommend me a route down to Domfront

Thanks chaps, I've been touring many a time and planned routes generally with success, however what with this part of France being popular i thought I'd seek advice, no point in reinventing. the wheel as it were.
We arrive in Calais circa 10am French time, 300 miles is doable for sure.. I will have a grander at the via Michelin too

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sorry if I missed something but I've just looked at the question again and can't find any mention of Calais.

Checking on the map, I would now say, Leave Ouistreham.....

You won't find anything of any use in the opening post, you have to go to post #15 to find out that our intrepid trooper is striking out from Calais:

7 beers made me forget the start point!!.. it'll be Calais to domfront (Orne ),.. then le havre to calais on the way back.
Her Birthday is the 24th April, its not my wife i'm a Londoner missus is a colloquialism. She does like cards though

He leaves at 10 AM.

Leaving Ouistreham just ain't going to work.

Before someone recommends that poor old unibar goes via the Belgeon Ardones, Open door sore glands and the Meow bridge, here's a simple suggestion of a route between Calais and Domfront (Orne) - i.e. where unibar wants to go - along with an explanation of how I did it. But first:

1. This thread demonstrates how hard it can be to assist if the person asking for help (and let's be plain, it is help they are seeking) decides not to tell the prospective audience anything of any use. This latest appeal was a classic example of all the exciting things the bod planned on doing, his meeting the guys and his better half's birthday but the square root of feck all else of any use. The information had to be dragged out, like blood from a stone. Why might people bother to asist if people who ask for help can't trouble themselves long enough to ask for it properly?

2. It assumes that there has to be an interesting way (generally avoiding motorways) to go 300 or so miles from A to B in a day, starting (so we later find out) at 10 AM. Sometimes there just isn't or there might be if the person asking for help is perhaps prepared to spend some time of their own with a map, instead of drinking seven or whatever it was pints. I like beer, so cheers anyway and let's crack on:

1. I started by asking Google maps for a route between A and B using a bicycle.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/C...0815737e0!2m2!1d-0.650433!2d48.594289!3e1!5i2

That gave me a simple guide to the direction any route would need to take.

2. I then asked BaseCamp to give me the fastest route A to B. I didn't ask it for wiggle roads, motorbike routes or to avoid motorways or any of that old bollox and malarkey. Why? Number one, those Garmin tools are most often used by the hard of thinking and number two, I wanted to see where it went and how close it might be to Google's suggested bicycle route. It looked OK.

3. I then zoomed the BaseCamp map in and could see that - unless one went a long way off-piste - the motorway route was probably direct enough. The route is always going to be getting on for three hundred miles and we're told the fellow wants to start at 10 AM earliest. We can assume that he does not want to be arriving at 10 PM, so you really don't want to start buggering around down every scenic green lined D road when suggesting how to go from A to B.

Of course it is possible to leave A and go down different roads to arrive at B. Of course it's possible for anyone (but not necessarily the fellow asking the question) to leave at 8 AM and use the extra two hours to do all sorts of things differently.... but you know what you and your bike are capable of, whilst we know next to nothing about people who ask for routes but we do know when this fellow's girlfriend's birthday is.

4. Zooming in a bit more I could see that the motorway replaced, as it so often does, the old N and D roads that by and large run parallel. It was then just a question of dragging the magenta line onto the 'old road'.

5. But, from time time this took the route through some pretty big towns like Boulogne, Abbeville and Rouen. Not wanting to waste the bod's time and having in mind his desire to "generally avoid" motorways, I jumped him back on the super slab just to miss the built-up areas out. Similarly, if there was an obvious ring road I could take, I took that, too.

All really easy stuff.

6. The advantage of simply dragging the route off the motorway and onto the 'old road' is that unibar can an always jump back onto the motorway at near enough any point to make up time.

7. I put the coast road from Calais in at the start and the 'scenic' run across the national park from Sees due west through Carrouges and la Ferte Mace to Domfront only to give unibar a 'feel good' start and end, the rest of it being (almost inevitably) a straight diagonal line, south west from A to B.

Here's the route:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lxqmk9gzmksobo/Calais to Domfront.GPX?dl=0

It was created in BaseCamp and it's hosted on Dropbox. If anyone has a Mac it's possible it will open as a text file. This is not Garmin's fault, so don't moan that it is. For some reason Mac's and Dropbox between them conspire to change regular .gpx flies into text files by adding .txt after .gpx in the file name. Simply save the file and rename it, deleting .txt and all should be well.

It is 268 miles, A to B with Garmin estimating the time at 6 hours, 50 minutes and 9 seconds. A blind one armed man on a pogo stick could do it faster than that, I'm sure.

Is it perfect? No, of course not and it's not really our job to make it so... that's down to unibar, it's his holiday after all and he knows himself better than we ever will. The whole operation took about 10 minutes, including testing the Google map link in the UKGSer test section. Fine tuning would, I guess, maybe take 20 minutes, say half an hour all in. Away you go, unibar. All yours.

Richard

PS I am very partial to London Pride.

londonpride.jpg

You are welcome to one should we ever meet!!
I tend to use tyre, the one thing that jumped out at me from the above was to use Google maps cycle option, i would not have thought of that, i agree the odd ring road or couple of junctions of motorway is a necessary evil
Again thanks to all, piss taking accepted fully, next time i won't post after an extended afternoons drinking.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Tyre (Google maps based) is - so I am assured - good for plotting out routes and to then get them into a GPS device. You could do exactly what I did in BaseCamp in Tyre or several other brands of routing software, like MotoGoLoco.

What Tyre and the others probably won't tell you is what roads to ride down between A and B. That nugget of information has to be supplied by you.

The bicycle trick is a good one. It's not perfect as it might sometimes route you along dedicated cycle only paths, so zoom in and out a bit to make sure you won't be hooning your awesome steed along a disused railway line or canal towpath. Repeat the same operation in ViaMichelin and see what that offers up in its assorted preference settings. Sometimes they can be quite different. It's all free, so use it.

Enjoy your holiday.

I've got a mate who lives about 10km from Domfront and so have done that trip numerous times on my motorcycle. Like someone else said, if you have any say in the matter, the night sailing from Portsmouth to Caen (Ouistrehem) and arrive in the morning. Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs but that area of Normandy is in part known as 'Suisse Normande' and whilst it doesn't have mountains, it does in places look a lot like Switzerland.

Also if D-Day stuff is your bag then there some fascinating history around Falaise and it kinda fun to find the tank in the woods (Hint: https://goo.gl/maps/vwS5YGyKFDU2) especially as the road leading up to it has some cracking sweeping bends!

In essence if you want an interesting day ride with the opportunity to see a very un-Normandy looking part of Normandy, ride some good roads in cracking countryside and stop for lunch, this could work for you. If you're interested, PM me and I'll dig out and send you a GPX file of a route that I've used in the past, as it may well be useful as you could always adapt it slightly for the return trip to Le Havre.

:thumb

April looms. Is the OP all set for Domfront? Are he and his mates still mates and are they still all on for Normandy?

Its all going to happen i'm pleased to say!
Thanks All

Back
Top Bottom