adventure bike warehouse

lawvar

Reaction score
I spoke to Gaz at ABW and they are getting some new bikes and starting off road training again.
Price is £189 for the day including the bike which I think will be 250 Hondas.
QUESTIONS TO THOSE WITH EXPERIENCE
1. How relevant is the training when I have a 1200gs ?
2.Anyone here been on one ? And can they recommend it ?
3.Can anyone suggest a better alternative ?
4.Does anyone here do training ?
Anything else I should know ?
I have the sum total of NO off road experience apart from forestry gravel track and one green lane 100yds long which my Suzuki V-Strom struggled with (correction I struggled with).
My only bike is my R1200gs triple black for touring on so don't really want to drop it if I can help it.
I know I know going to get some stick on this
I'm bracing myself for answers.
Thanks

I spoke to Gaz at ABW and they are getting some new bikes and starting off road training again.
Price is £189 for the day including the bike which I think will be 250 Hondas.
QUESTIONS TO THOSE WITH EXPERIENCE
1. How relevant is the training when I have a 1200gs ?
2.Anyone here been on one ? And can they recommend it ?
3.Can anyone suggest a better alternative ?
4.Does anyone here do training ?
Anything else I should know ?
I have the sum total of NO off road experience apart from forestry gravel track and one green lane 100yds long which my Suzuki V-Strom struggled with (correction I struggled with).
My only bike is my R1200gs triple black for touring on so don't really want to drop it if I can help it.
I know I know going to get some stick on this ��
I'm bracing myself for answers.
Thanks

Firstly Just DO IT you'll have great fun , believe me.

Secondly , if you don't want to drop your GS then DONT go off road on it, you will drop it.

In my opinion getting used to riding off road is a valuable skill which will only improve your confidence and general riding. Riding a gs off road is daunting mainly due to the sheer size of the thing but most of this can be improved with confidence. Many people freeze and panic as soon as they touch anything that's not tarmac so going and experiencing off road will be a fabulous asset. I've done motocross since I was 14 and it's been nothing but a benefit to my road riding as far as I'm concerned.
Ps you will still fall off the thing no matter how much training and confidence you have, unfortunately that's just the nature of the beast but at least you will fall off it confidently and happy in the knowledge that it's probably going to hurt LOL:blast

Doing a day with Gaz on a smaller bike will give you some of the basic skills to do the same on a bigger bike. Do a day with Gaz, and then join him on one of his big bike days around the Peaks - :thumb

if you've have never done it with Gaz ask him to be gentle.....

Start with BMW ORS Level 1 on a R1200GS LC.

Riding a small bike off-road is nothing like riding an R1200GS off-road.

Start with BMW ORS Level 1 on a R1200GS LC.

Riding a small bike off-road is nothing like riding an R1200GS off-road.

Especially if it drops on yer or yer damage something on the bike . A bit of basic training and confidence given is invaluable. Gaz is a top bloke and very good at giving easy advice to follow.

It may save yer a fortune and a few bruises. Good luck

I think that I've already recommend this and told you to ask Gaz for a day's training.

I've been twice. It's worth it.

Also, afterwards, you may well be looking to get a smaller bike to accompany your big GS to go and do more lanes.

Even if you choose never to go green laning again, you'll have a fantastic day. :thumb

Secondly , if you don't want to drop your GS then DONT go off road on it, you will drop it.

Heed Rushy's advice, no matter how hard you try, you will get cocky and you will end up out of your depth and the bike will end up on the deck.

If your lucky the crash bars take the hit, if your unlucky....

Cracked/broken screen
Cracked/broken indicators
Scratched/dented tank
Damaged plastics

Not to mention what happens to you.

Only take your bike off road if your prepared to damage it.

I haven't done the off road training with Gaz but I have been out with him in the peaks when he's done one of the big bike off road rides.
Had a great day too.
There is an awful lot you can learn on a small machine that will carry over, as for learning to ride a GS off road that does take some practice as they handle very different to a lightweight crosser.

If you want some boxer specific practice then do the BMW ORS.

Firstly Just DO IT you'll have great fun , believe me.

Good advice

if you've have never done it with Gaz ask him to be gentle.....

This comment NEEDS TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY :green gri

Especially if it drops on yer or yer damage something on the bike . A bit of basic training and confidence given is invaluable. Gaz is a top bloke and very good at giving easy advice to follow.

It may save yer a fortune and a few bruises. Good luck

Very true

I think that I've already recommend this and told you to ask Gaz for a day's training.

I've been twice. It's worth it.

Also, afterwards, you may well be looking to get a smaller bike to accompany your big GS to go and do more lanes.

Even if you choose never to go green laning again, you'll have a fantastic day. :thumb

Defo

Heed Rushy's advice, no matter how hard you try, you will get cocky and you will end up out of your depth and the bike will end up on the deck.

If your lucky the crash bars take the hit, if your unlucky....

Cracked/broken screen
Cracked/broken indicators
Scratched/dented tank
Damaged plastics

Not to mention what happens to you.

Only take your bike off road if your prepared to damage it.

I haven't done the off road training with Gaz but I have been out with him in the peaks when he's done one of the big bike off road rides.
Had a great day too.
There is an awful lot you can learn on a small machine that will carry over, as for learning to ride a GS off road that does take some practice as they handle very different to a lightweight crosser.

If you want some boxer specific practice then do the BMW ORS.

Sounds like a man of experience ;)

I did indeed; alas I'm just about to change jobs so my current car (which I have to return in 3 weeks) is without a towbar, and I need to wait for my new motor to get a towbar fitted :blast

Go on...you know you want to let your GSA loose off road.....

NEVER!!!!!

Having said that, my GSA has been off road and the single thought going thru my head was how expensive it would be to replace the parts that I break.....hence the EXC ;)

Fannies, get on it and ride.

Gaz is a top bloke and always carries zip ties, you'll be fine.

Had many a great day out with him and Mick DB1. First time I met Gaz he was on his brand new 1200 off roadking it for the first time. He'd broken a couple of indicators and was smiling from ear to ear. That was the start of his obsession and he's still smiling like a chipmunk on speed.

You don't know what you are missing :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom