Heading to do 5 passes Switzerland...

Supermarkets ok, but for cafes beer is cheaper !

I used the Ride magazine's routes, which I adapted to suit our needs. As per Wapper's post above.

Hope you have better weather then we did.

You really could do very much worse, OP.

The good thing is that Simon W and RiDE have hacked out a pretty good route that is reasonably divided into days to cater for the 'average' biker. Display the routes on your computer and then just amend them a little to suit your needs. If you think you can go further (or do less miles) in a day, great, do it. Want to go somewhere else? Just tug the route around a bit. You CAN do it, I promise.

In the thread:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/443849-Porsche-15-passes-in-four-days

I tried to show how it's possible to take one route (15 passes in 4 days, from a Porsche sponsored book; dreadful things, cars) and add to a route from RiDE (by bikers for bikers) to create one holiday. You could do something similar for yours, for sure. Draw on lots of sources to do it. It's reasonably fun and you get to learn about your holiday as you go along. All good preparation for departure day.

You really could do very much worse, OP.

The good thing is that Simon W and RiDE have hacked out a pretty good route that is reasonably divided into days to cater for the 'average' biker. Display the routes on your computer and then just amend them a little to suit your needs. If you think you can go further (or do less miles) in a day, great, do it. Want to go somewhere else? Just tug the route around a bit. You CAN do it, I promise.

In the thread:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/443849-Porsche-15-passes-in-four-days

I tried to show how it's possible to take one route (15 passes in 4 days, from a Porsche sponsored book; dreadful things, cars) and add to a route from RiDE (by bikers for bikers) to create one holiday. You could do something similar for yours, for sure. Draw on lots of sources to do it. It's reasonably fun and you get to learn about your holiday as you go along. All good preparation for departure day.

Thanks again , nothing set in stone, so will have a play with routes , cheers Wapping!

I'm certain that any route Wapping suggests will be awesome, but subject to final routing, if you choose a night in stresso on lake maggiore before the passes there are several hotels that have secure bike parking. The day trip to the islands is worth it for the pizza at lunch. There's a ferry that crosses the lake for more grey roads and gets you to the Swiss border.

Sounds ideal Joe, have made a few routes up based on the Ride one, then a couple of fast roads without tolls . Put it by the lads and concession is fast roads to our first nights destination ( in the voseges). Then the next few days at a leisurely pace and scenic roads and passes. As has been said before would you do 370 miles in the UK on A roads to get across country quickly, probably not !!

:tears
Hi can anyone recommend any routes they may have undertaken from Calais to Switzerland?
There will be 3 of us on the monday morning eurotunnel, gets us into Calais around 9.30 am euro time.
My plan was to head down and have an overnight stop somewhere in between Calais and Interlaken where we will be based from the Tuesday evening until the Friday morning. Don't mind motorway for an early push to eat the miles , but be nice to have some A type roads in afternoon.
Ardennes area? Voseges? Military interest always good?
Not wanting anyone to set me a planned route or the like , but some help would be much appreciated as never been over that side of France and Switzerland before.
Thanks Baz.

I hate you....:barf

;)

....made a few routes up based on the Ride one, then a couple of fast roads without tolls . Put it by the lads and concession is fast roads to our first nights destination ( in the voseges). Then the next few days at a leisurely pace and scenic roads and passes.

Great, you (and RiDE) have done it!

It shows anyone that it can be done and your mates will owe you a beer or more. Which is nice.

sorry you can't make it fella !

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Gutted mate.. busy year ahead for us, wife's kicking the arse outa being 40 this year.... leaving little room for bike time.. but I'm collecting huge away points for next year :beerjug:

hi how much is a decent coffee?
the thing about Switzerland is that prices vary massively some people just stop in the first place they get too and suffer the prices, look around a bit and you can usually get a better price, it is still going to be more expensive than here in part due to the low Pound and the fact they have the highest minimum wage in Europe (I believe) COOP's are usually very reasonably priced for basics and its worth picking up a few bottles of water,beer,wine,coke or whatever takes you fancy from them.

Some good options there.

You could bomb across to the Black Forest and ride down the B500 to Switzerland (just make sure you pickup the B500 just south of Baden Baden for the "famous bit")

Another option is to ride through the Vosges on your travels.

A few years ago we used a route that took us from Calais to near Troyes where we stopped, but arrived in France a couple of hours later than you so you could press on a bit further. We then rode via Fribourg to the Gurnigel Pass which drops you off in Thun, just a short stretch of main road from Interlaken, or if you have time / weather on your side you could run over the Panaramastrasse which brings you out about an hour the other side of Interlaken. This might work well as it gives a decent 2nd day if the weather is good, with the ability to cut it shorter if it is bad.

Good value café at the end of the one way (at a time) road at the top of the Grimsel, it is in Hermans book, but easy to find as it the junction is right opposite the other cafes at the top of the pass with a timer showing how long until the lights change. We stopped a few years ago and were surprised how few people bother to ride down there, which may explain the very reasonable prices. Hoping to stay there one year as it looks like a great location for a stopover.

There are a few dead end roads in the book - all around the Andermatt loop and all very pretty, none add exciting twists and turns, but the views are good, the one between Andermatt and the Susten has a nice café at the top - but the prices are a bit steep.

The restaurant at the top of the Nufenen was good value last time we used it (2010) it was a bit like a motorway service station kind of affair with food pre-cooked, but the prices seemed reasonable at the time and the food was surprisingly tasty.

The Goulash Soup is always a good choice for lunch :thumb2

Good value café at the end of the one way (at a time) road at the top of the Grimsel, it is in Hermans book, but easy to find as it the junction is right opposite the other cafes at the top of the pass with a timer showing how long until the lights change. We stopped a few years ago and were surprised how few people bother to ride down there, which may explain the very reasonable prices. Hoping to stay there one year as it looks like a great location for a stopover.

There are a few dead end roads in the book - all around the Andermatt loop and all very pretty, none add exciting twists and turns, but the views are good, the one between Andermatt and the Susten has a nice café at the top - but the prices are a bit steep.

The restaurant at the top of the Nufenen was good value last time we used it (2010) it was a bit like a motorway service station kind of affair with food pre-cooked, but the prices seemed reasonable at the time and the food was surprisingly tasty.

The Goulash Soup is always a good choice for lunch :thumb2

Thank you Rasher :cool:

Back
Top Bottom