Psssst,don't tell the wife!!

Thanks mate. Rides lovely. Needs a touch of fettling but on the whole, fabby. I'm really pleased. :thumby:
Well, the touch of fettling turned into a head scratcher today,
The bike wouldn’t run over 2k revs, massive backfiring dying off no power etc.
Turned out I’d wired the Emerald Isle reg rec in parallel with the brush feed so once it started charging it was backfeeding out of the rectifier into the alternator brushes and was charging at 16 volts,with no voltage control.
This was freaking out the seimens ignition unit and making it advance a stupid amount.
It all made perfect sense once I had realised what I had done.( I’ll blame it on too much caffeine that day:blast)
Any how’s,
It was obviously running a bit rich though the mid range and on idle so I dropped the needles one notch and tweaked the idle mixture ,rebalanced the carbs.
Jobs a goodn:thumb
I’ll let tufts tell you about the bike:D

Well, what can I say?

Once the problem was identified and rectified I rode the bike home. On a nasty cold wet day, greasy roads are not that good for first 'proper' rides.

All I can say is the bike flies. Whatever Mikeyboy has done to the engine, it really shifts. It's the kind of engine that the only reason to slow down is so you can accelerate again. I'm sure it's faster than my 1150!! :eek

The riding position is comfortable for me, all the switch gear is familiar so riding it is easy. So easy that it's 'easy' to forget how tall it is. There were a few moments at junctions where I put my foot down and remembered just how tall the bike is and had to stretch the extra to touch the ground.

Did I say how quick it is and how good it sounds? Superbly put together by Mike, it's so good. Everyone should have one.

To prepare for the Lands End Trial, I shall be pretty much riding this bike in preference to my others where possible so as to get used to it and generally make sure everything is working how it should. We need to spend some time on the lanes to ensure the suspension is set up.

So apart from a little electrical mishap, this bike is a real stonker. The 650cc to 860cc converted engine pulls so much stronger than my 800cc g/s. Completely different feel. It has an urgency about acceleration and probably a much higher top speed.

Oh, and I suppose I should find an empty car park and practise some slow speed stuff too. :comfort

Did I say how fast it was? :D

And to add,it’s very stable ,no wobbles!
Although it should be as it’s 4 inches longer on the swingarm,
But still has an impressive steering lock due to chris’s Work on the head stock.
It still needs a bit of tinkering to get the jetting right but ,
I want one:cool:

Most enjoyable read indeedy.... :thumb

Any dirty pictures yet ?

I have got it a bit dirty riding it. I need to clean two bikes now.

I haven't had time to ride it off road properly, and it needs a proper front tyre on it. Mike says that there's still some bits and bobs to be done as well.

But that won't stop me going out on it tomorrow! :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom