Another RT-P project

Did you do anything with the aux electrical system and battery?

If you can locate a set of the authority blue light mounts the come up through the two holes above the indicators they are the perfect mounts for drls and make the classic triangular light pattern and show up above bonnet level

Attachments

• 3D3148A7-367B-49D8-974D-44F270E0D6AC.jpg
    3D3148A7-367B-49D8-974D-44F270E0D6AC.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 9F42BD87-8AC4-4E50-A930-E7B611D0BCF1.jpeg
    9F42BD87-8AC4-4E50-A930-E7B611D0BCF1.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 165
Really good job and nice write up! Cheers.
I may own a 2016 or 2017 R1200RT-P with a week so I am very curious.

Do you believe you could have kept the police panniers and still fitted the bike for a passenger. The reasons I ask are because a number of folk have pointed out the handiness of the authority side cases and how narrowing the bike is a plus. Also, I will be unlikely to find used >2014 r12rt luggage. And parts from BMW are hurtful:D

Also - I didn't really see the mounting holes you mention wanting to cover. But your observation makes me understand that its possible to keep some of the RT-P side plastic and therefore making the conversion slightly less expensive.

Anyhow - thank for the writeup

I don’t think it’s possible to set it up for a pillion and keep the authority panniers because the framework for the authority panniers uses the pillion peg attachment point as a mounting point. If you have a look at the beginning of the thread, third picture down, you’ll see what I mean about the mounting points. The frame is attached to the lugs that would normally have the pillion pegs.

The side panels are basically the same and use the same fixing points. The holes allow a bar to pass from one side to the other. It’s attached to the chassis rails and forms part of the crash protection gubbins.

Did you do anything with the aux electrical system and battery?

If you can locate a set of the authority blue light mounts the come up through the two holes above the indicators they are the perfect mounts for drls and make the classic triangular light pattern and show up above bonnet level

I left the aux battery in place as it was wired in to the existing loom with proper BMW parts , as opposed to something I could simply disconnect.

Back
Top Bottom