2017 GT review

No mention of the fun to be had with the no hands, feet up, reverse button.

As I said, no mention of no hands, feet up... which is where the fun'll really start.

All joking apart, it seems to maybe require both hands on the bars.... left to operate the 'engage gear' button and the right to press the starter button. That just leaves the feet up; unless of course you sit on the bike backwards. I feel an ocean of fun coming on.

As I said, no mention of no hands, feet up... which is where the fun'll really start.

All joking apart, it seems to maybe require both hands on the bars.... left to operate the 'engage gear' button and the right to press the starter button. That just leaves the feet up; unless of course you sit on the bike backwards. I feel an ocean of fun coming on.

Does it come as standard with LED reverse lights?

mine is ordered

I`ve ordered one, GTL with comfort pack. Due late April early May due to lead time :mad:

I am, however, looking forward to it :D

In this week's MCN.

IMG_0336_zpscl8zxtri.png

I must confess that I was tempted by the new 1600GT, seriously considered getting one. Then I wondered if it really is so much better than the 1600GT I've got and have decided no. The reverse gear I have done without, though it's arguably a luxury it's needed from day one. The gearshift-pro is fun but I can't say I've missed not having it on the two GT's I've owned. I've never found too much wrong with the fairing, screen or suspension on my current (or past) GT. The communications interface (music, phone etc) I won't use. The outright performance and engine characteristics seem to be completely unchanged. The SOS thing.... well, I just hope I never need to test it in anger on any bike....not much fussed by the colour change..... and it'll still eat tyres, that's for certain.

I'll go along to the London show. If it wows me... but I suspect I won't be changing my mind.

Thanks though for putting up the reviews etc. If anyone is looking for a real touring bike, that can be hustled across Europe, around hairpins, down wiggly bumpy lanes, one or two up, with more luggage space than a small car and really is all day comfortable... go try one out.

I must confess that I was tempted by the new 1600GT, seriously considered getting one. Then I wondered if it really is so much better than the 1600GT I've got and have decided no. The reverse gear I have done without, though it's arguably a luxury it's needed from day one. The gearshift-pro is fun but I can't say I've missed not having it on the two GT's I've owned. I've never found too much wrong with the fairing, screen or suspension on my current (or past) GT. The communications interface (music, phone etc) I won't use. The outright performance and engine characteristics seem to be completely unchanged. The SOS thing.... well, I just hope I never need to test it in anger on any bike....not much fussed by the colour change..... and it'll still eat tyres, that's for certain.

I'll go along to the London show. If it wows me... but I suspect I won't be changing my mind.

Thanks though for putting up the reviews etc. If anyone is looking for a real touring bike, that can be hustled across Europe, around hairpins, down wiggly bumpy lanes, one or two up, with more luggage space than a small car and really is all day comfortable... go try one out.

Every now and again an item of technology comes out that is a game changer. For me, Gearshift Pro is it. Having it on my last three GS's, I would struggle to enjoy a bike that doesn't have it now. My riding has adapted to it and has made riding much more enjoyable. I rode for a few days a 16GT last year and really missed the GSP and thought then how the bike would benefit from it. I agree that to change just for that would be daft, but it is a great addition to the new bike.

I have it on my S1000XR and the original variant (up shift only, basic quickshifter) on an HP2 Sport. Upshifts you can do clutchlessly on the 1600 without any problems. Down the box, you can use the slipper clutch anyway.... failing that you can just about leave it in any gear you like and just ride it..... but hey, I like a gearbox as much as the next bod.

Personally, as an ex 1600GT owner, I would like to see an auto-box option.

I made exactly the same observation in another thread. The bike's characteristics would really suit it, for sure. Auto-gearboxes are now so good, the conventional clutch and gear lever will soon be as obsolete as points.

Maybe it's a weight thing, it's heavy enough on paper already or maybe the engine space simply cannot be reconfigured easily? Perhaps the next real model uplift or variant will be a hybrid? They will come, no doubt about it. Stop-start too, perhaps but that'll catch a few people out so it'll need to be very well integrated and very obviously in its reliable performances; all quite possible with good modern electronics and very good sensors.

They can leak out stuff onto the bike and then shift it on to other bikes. The electronic suspension started on the 1600 and is now widely used. The iwheel thing thing too and is now widely integrated elsewhere in the range. The quick shifter is easy to integrate from other bikes, for stuff coming the other way.

Flyer review.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DEugPo53E0Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back
Top Bottom