iMac Time Machine Back Up

crotchrocket

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My iMac has a 1TB hard drive, its about 2/3rds full. I also have a 1tb external drive also about 2/3 full.

For my time machine back up, i got a 2TB external drive, as i presumed it would be ideal (as its the size of both drives above full) But after a single back up, time machine fails as there isn't enough space on the 2TB disk. I presumed it would just continually overwrite and keep the 2TB drive up to date ?? Are there settings that can be altered for this or a better way / programme for backing up my two 1TB drives??

My iMac has a 1TB hard drive, its about 2/3rds full. I also have a 1tb external drive also about 2/3 full.

For my time machine back up, i got a 2TB external drive, as i presumed it would be ideal (as its the size of both drives above full) But after a single back up, time machine fails as there isn't enough space on the 2TB disk. I presumed it would just continually overwrite and keep the 2TB drive up to date ?? Are there settings that can be altered for this or a better way / programme for backing up my two 1TB drives??

Time machine should and I stress the word should delete the oldest backups automatically as space on the external drive gets tight.

as for settings i dont know but someone will but as said it should be automatic overwrite

But does it need enough space to always have two back ups (or more) overwriting the oldest? or can it overwrite a single back up over and over

But does it need enough space to always have two back ups (or more) overwriting the oldest? or can it overwrite a single back up over and over

Dunno but as an idea that i would probably go with is

Delete all the old back ups and start again it will take time as it wont be incremental but will certainly clear space and as those back ups are only needed if it goes tits up you would only need the most recent anyway

I think

Mines been running for a few years, and deletes the oldest backup each day. IIRC, it keeps about a dozen back ups all the time.

Your 2tb drive mate, is it formatted to a RAID configuration? For instance if your external drive is in RAID 1 and is made up of two drives they will copy each other in a mirror image so reducing the capacity to half.

No it isn't, I formatted it with my Mac and its just a 2tb external drive when plugged in. I've just re-formatted it and its backing up now, will see when it next backs up if it has the issue again.

Back
Top Bottom