Norton Commando

I need to give myself a kick up the arse and finish off my MKIIA because I sent the head away to have the exhaust threads sorted out over a year ago and I've yet to put it back on.

It's had a full rebuild but I fitted a pair of MK2 Concentrics and a single K&N air filter but I've never been convinced it was a good idea and might go back to standard and sell the carbs currently sitting in a box in my workshop.

Mikuni, works well and its a very easy starter, the bike has a few mods done as I bought it as a wrecker with a blown up engine, the original engine was built by Mick Hemmings and was tuned up just a touch too much hence the grenaded engine, so i put it all back to stock (ish) but added a new oil pump and mk 3 timing cover, pazon ignition and single carb, as so much was altered i ended up building my own wiring loom, dead easy, i bought a standard new loom and stripped that to provide the correct colours in the right places, bit of a faff but i'm sure future owners might appreciate the effort.

Great looking bikes there buddy
My fastback is a real pig to start, it has mk1 amals and and old boyer ignition, I think it's time for a new ignition and to choose either the new Amal carbs or a single Mikuni carb

The end is in sight

The end is in sight on my rebuild, although of late its been one step forward and two steps back.( the white tape is temp :D )

Attachments

• nearly.jpg
    nearly.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 596
The finished item, now just enjoying it but its hard work after 20+ years on a modern bike going back to an old brit :D

Attachments

• IMG_4490.jpg
    IMG_4490.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_4492.jpg
    IMG_4492.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_4499a.jpg
    IMG_4499a.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 536
I’m currently sitting drinking coffee at Andover Norton while they pack a load of parts into boxes ready for the great escape at Xmas. That’s the great escape into my workshop while the mother in law visits.

I really need to get this bloody project finished and see if I can get on with the bike and if not then it goes and I’ll have a bike sized hole to fill 😀

I need to give myself a kick up the arse and finish off my MKIIA because I sent the head away to have the exhaust threads sorted out over a year ago and I've yet to put it back on.

It's had a full rebuild but I fitted a pair of MK2 Concentrics and a single K&N air filter but I've never been convinced it was a good idea and might go back to standard and sell the carbs currently sitting in a box in my workshop.

Why don't you graft a single su carb on it. Norton experimented with the same set up; and by all accounts it was very good; but too late in the day to save them.

Why don't you graft a single su carb on it. Norton experimented with the same set up; and by all accounts it was very good; but too late in the day to save them.

I did consider it but took advice from Andover Norton and I’ve now got a pair of standard carbs along with all the parts required to fit them sitting in a box waiting until the mother in law arrives at Xmas when I’ll retreat to the workshop and start the rebuild.

I like going to Andover Norton because they give me coffee and they’ve got an amazing supply of genuine parts along with the expertise to tell me what I need. Lovely people well worth visiting :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom