Tyres, why the headache?

RPMDAKAR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am in a moment of insanity as I contemplate using the Dakar for some off road fun, nothing to serious, you wont be seeing my name in any results anywhere, but I do hanker after taking to the rough. I have a pair of spare wheels, unfortunately shod with almost new road tyres, and I like the look of the Mitas E10 & E09 range, but for some reason I cannot get a matched pair, that is, 90/90 S21 & 130/80 17 I am confused???????? Any ideas out there?

Is there an advantage or disadvantage to this?

I have Mitas on my little Xcountry, no idea which ones, 07 I think, road and off road, chunky road tyre type of tread. Not had the chance to try them on a lane yet, but I have found one close to home to go and practise on and got my confidence a bit. With no idea of techniques or how to ride off road (only done it once with Skygod last April and I have forgotten everything we were taught it was so long ago). It is quit emuddy when I walked it the other day - that was how I found it.

I could do with going with someone to show me the ropes on some easy tracks first.

I quite likeen the E09 rear, in fact currently using one one 950se, but although I have a few fronts in the shed I'd not consider using them in muddy offroad conditions. Stick a Mitas C17 yellow band on the front and you won't go far wrong.

I quite likeen the E09 rear, in fact currently using one one 950se, but although I have a few fronts in the shed I'd not consider using them in muddy offroad conditions. Stick a Mitas C17 yellow band on the front and you won't go far wrong.

+1 for the E09 as they are also really good on the road and last for ages.

Did I see one of your bikes Tim with a Mitas C02 on the back? Only ask as there is one fitted to the CCM I picked up today, and I was wondering if I should save it for Iceland this year.

A C02 is over the top as a rear for Iceland mate, I use them for local trail riding only and because they're cheap but still work reasonably well. I actually prefer the C02 when it's half worn because it slides predictably.
Getting the front to suit is more important for most instances and have found the C17 to be much better than more expensive tyres like Michelin Deserts.

EDIT!
The C02 is an aggressive looking rear and thinking again that actually may be a good thing for you as it'll inspire confidence, I'd repeat though, it's the front you will want confidence in and that will help develop your technique :)

I can help you with that when we're there if you'd like.... it's all in the head, not the tyres :D

A C02 is over the top as a rear for Iceland mate, I use them for local trail riding only and because they're cheap but still work reasonably well. I actually prefer the C02 when it's half worn because it slides predictably.
Getting the front to suit is more important for most instances and have found the C17 to be much better than more expensive tyres like Michelin Deserts.

EDIT!
The C02 is an aggressive looking rear and thinking again that actually may be a good thing for you as it'll inspire confidence, I'd repeat though, it's the front you will want confidence in and that will help develop your technique :)

:eek::eek:

Just checked mine Mitas Enduro E 07 front and rear.

I also tackled my first muddy lane! It is only about 600 yards each way, I soon learned that coming back up is much easier than going down. The front was sliding around all over the place on the grassy, peaty, muddy middle but flat section. Then I got into the side rut and it was much better from a slithery aspect, but was very much bumpier. I did manage to not fall off or drop it, but I had to stop about half way and gather myself, I was getting tied up in knots and had to sort myself out and get things back under control.

Coming back up I just stayed in 1st gear and came up gently, but it pulled straight up no problem and with no sliding around. I could see the tyre tracks from on my way down where they had slid and there was no tyre tread marks, just scoops where the tyre had gone forward aand sideways at the same time. I was relieved to see the tarmac again! My first 'green lane' completed without mishap. :thumb2

I used an E09 yellow stripe on my XChallenge for the hard alp tour, it lasted really well, but the hard compound and stiff carcass made it a bastard to fit. Probably didn't help with it being a 150 section :D

I have a 140 on the SE but couldn't fit it myself so took it to my local bike tyre fitter, took 3 of them and hour and 20mins get it on.

Should have fitted a 130!

I have a 140 on the SE but couldn't fit it myself so took it to my local bike tyre fitter, took 3 of them and hour and 20mins get it on.

Pray for no punctures out on the trails except it sounds like you could run it flat, as long as it doesn't come off the rim!

Going to try a C19 front and EF07 next on the 690.

I fitted one of those for magnon the other week,whilst it didn't take me me 20 mins you can forget about getting one off at the side of the trail:blast
I completely agree on your comment on the c02, good fun on cold wet roads:green gri

Back
Top Bottom