How much of a wee coolant leak is a problem ?

SMcGirr

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had a wee weep,of coolant from the wee weep hole but it seems to have cleared up. Do I need to bother about a one off dribble ?

No. Only worry if the weep continues. I had the same issue on my Honda CRF 250 when it was new. The dealer replaced whatever led to the weep but it did it again for a short time then stopped and never did it again.

Not a problem, it should settle down with use..:thumb

My local dealer wanted to pull my GSA down and fit a new water pump.

I asked another dealer who said leave it and it would be fine, and it was, I rode it to Austria raced around the Alps and it didn't use any more coolant.

Hope this helps, just keep an eye on the coolant resovior if you are worried, it's easy to see the level.

My April 2016 GS had 3 water pumps before i rejected it. Current GS OK

My April 2016 GS had 3 water pumps before i rejected it. Current GS OK

As I replied earlier, My local dealer who is a relatively small dealer suggested that my bike must need a new pump, however I got a second opinion from Pidcocks who shift a hell of a lot of GS's, and have actually sold me two new bikes, and they said that a little bit of weeping is fine and it will settle down. It just looks worse because of the blue colourant.

I didn't fancy having my new bike being pulled down, so I took Pidcocks advice which proved to be totally correct, so it could just be that a lot of pumps are being changed needlessly, and as such are creating a reputation of weakness where there isn't one?

Had a new pump fitted to mine after it started weeping at around the 2000 mile mark. It is not a big job to change.

Had a new pump fitted on my 1 year old GS at 6,000 but it was weeping oil not water.

I've noticed the last two times I've cleaned the bike a splattering of blue from said weephole in like a triangular splatter.

Concerns me somewhat.

New pump required on my 2016 GS after 2k. No probs since.

I've noticed the last two times I've cleaned the bike a splattering of blue from said weephole in like a triangular splatter.

Concerns me somewhat.

Go and tell your dealer so they can log your concerns, you have now made it their problem. If they don't fix it and your bike goes pop, it is in bmw's lap.

Back
Top Bottom