Recommend / Help Laptop / 2in1

ianm00

Reaction score
Hi,

Im looking for a new laptop or maybe 2in1 type.
Looking for windows laptop not apple.

Budget is upto £800 maximum.

Thinking of i5/i7 processor, 8Gbytes+ Ram, 256Gb SSD (prefer SSD but maybe conventional HDD ok), 14inch or less screen, weight less than 2kg.

What do people think of Dell :
http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-1...53704&model_id=inspiron-13-5378-2-in-1-laptop

Some reviews say its a poor screen and poor battery life. Does anyone have any experience of these or any other suggestions?

Some others I have been looking at are:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...vo-yoga-510-14-2-in-1-black-10146249-pdt.html
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...360-13-3-2-in-1-modern-gold-10156906-pdt.html

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Ian

Why is windows so important?

I know you said not Apple and agree they are a walled garden approach. But in my case the only limitation has been copying DVDs and finding a low cost scanning OCR software.

I sorted the scanning with Viewscan and used an old PC running Ubuntu for disc copying. Naughty me.

MS office works well on the Mac though it has fewer bells & whistles. Personally I prefer the less bloated versions.

I'm no Mac fanboy there is plenty that could be done better. But it does work and I don't need to fret about broken drivers etc.

Sent somehow.

Why is windows so important?

I know you said not Apple and agree they are a walled garden approach. But in my case the only limitation has been copying DVDs and finding a low cost scanning OCR software.

I sorted the scanning with Viewscan and used an old PC running Ubuntu for disc copying. Naughty me.

MS office works well on the Mac though it has fewer bells & whistles. Personally I prefer the less bloated versions.

I'm no Mac fanboy there is plenty that could be done better. But it does work and I don't need to fret about broken drivers etc.

Sent somehow.

I require windows as I occasionally use some CAD software which needs windows. Im used to windows and all my other software is windows based.

Thanks

Ian

Dell have improved massively in recent years in terms of quality. I've been thinking about getting a 13" xps myself.

I can't comment on this particular model but I have seen some of the same reviews that suggest a slightly disappointing screen.

Bear in mind though that if you order online from Dell you can send it back if you don't like it.

Also whatever you do, get an SSD not an HDD, it really makes a massive difference.

Dell have improved massively in recent years in terms of quality. I've been thinking about getting a 13" xps myself.

I can't comment on this particular model but I have seen some of the same reviews that suggest a slightly disappointing screen.

Bear in mind though that if you order online from Dell you can send it back if you don't like it.

Also whatever you do, get an SSD not an HDD, it really makes a massive difference.

Thanks. Now been looking at HP Envy laptops (not 2 in 1). Yes looking for SSD drive now. XPS are bit higher in price.

In the real world are you likely to notice a big difference between I5 and I7 (I think these are laptop/mobile versions not the same as in a desktop) ?

Thanks

Thanks. Now been looking at HP Envy laptops (not 2 in 1). Yes looking for SSD drive now. XPS are bit higher in price.

In the real world are you likely to notice a big difference between I5 and I7 (I think these are laptop/mobile versions not the same as in a desktop) ?

Thanks

Unless you are doing something really intensive then you probably won't notice much of a difference between an I5 and an I7 and yes these will be the mobile versions.

Try and get a 7th Gen processor (Kaby Lake) these are the latest versions and are appearing in laptops now.

Here's an overview of some of HP's latest offerings

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/10/hp-spectre-x360-envy-2016-refresh-uk-details/

The Envy looks quite good.

What Bendy said, plus run windows as well on your Mac. ( they can run Microsoft software ) My daughter shifts between the two on her Mac. No problems at all.

Someone pointed out the pro's of buying direct from Dell. I don't know if it still applies but if direct there is no bloatware on the system.

Last if you don't get SSD you may as well put an i3 chip in, a rather crude way to compare it.

If its just a touch of CAD CAM don't go OTT on the spec. That includes i7 it will open your choice a good bit.

Lastly having worked with CAD CAM I found the biggest screen the best but thats not going to work on a laptop.

I have the HP pavilion that you have posted a linked to, but mines a 15" screen model. I like it, it's quick, excellent screen.

check John Lewis (will deliver to Waitrose for collection) to see if they stock the model you are interested in - they will price match Currys and give you a longer warranty, some as long as 3 years for no extra cost

What Bendy said, plus run windows as well on your Mac. ( they can run Microsoft software ) My daughter shifts between the two on her Mac. No problems at all.

Someone pointed out the pro's of buying direct from Dell. I don't know if it still applies but if direct there is no bloatware on the system.

Last if you don't get SSD you may as well put an i3 chip in, a rather crude way to compare it.

If its just a touch of CAD CAM don't go OTT on the spec. That includes i7 it will open your choice a good bit.

Lastly having worked with CAD CAM I found the biggest screen the best but thats not going to work on a laptop.

I didn't know macs could run windows but think I still prefer windows laptop.

The CAD software is PCB layout software and yes large or dual screens are best but just checking or viewing can be done on the laptop.

Thanks for all the replies.

Hi,

Im looking for a new laptop or maybe 2in1 type.
Looking for windows laptop not apple.

Budget is upto £800 maximum.

Thinking of i5/i7 processor, 8Gbytes+ Ram, 256Gb SSD (prefer SSD but maybe conventional HDD ok), 14inch or less screen, weight less than 2kg.

What do people think of Dell :
http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-1...53704&model_id=inspiron-13-5378-2-in-1-laptop

Some reviews say its a poor screen and poor battery life. Does anyone have any experience of these or any other suggestions?

Some others I have been looking at are:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...vo-yoga-510-14-2-in-1-black-10146249-pdt.html
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...360-13-3-2-in-1-modern-gold-10156906-pdt.html

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Ian

I was in the same boat as the OP re a new windows laptop 2 in 1, or MacBook Pro (to run windows :blast), but all my work software needs are windows based and MBP's are quite expensive (and very nice too) so bought a Lenovo Thinpad Yoga 460 (2 in 1), has a 14" touchscreen.

I've used every manufacturer of laptops over the years and this Lenovo yoga thang is the best form factor I've ever used - even the kids have just got on and used it with ease, build quality is good, screen is bloody good for a thinkpad (usually they are not the best), I'm impressed with it.

It's not perfect, the dell XPS13 2 in 1 has narrower bezels and looks better, but I'll take a thinkpad any day over it.

Just my 2 cents. :rob

It seems some may doubt that a Mac can run windows, use boot camp already installed in the OS. Then install which version of windows you have.

It really is easy. The performance of windows does not deteriorate simply because its not on a PC. It works just fine.

It is a viable solution when businesses can have either. Its a versitallty that does have advantages to the user.

Yes there are some great PC's out there, in fact a far greater choice than the Apple stable. Good luck with your selection.

Back
Top Bottom