The Next Best Bike in The World Ever......Thread :-)

TBF I've read of a fair few high speed stability issues with the 1190R.

Its like the Vibes on the XR the naysayers catch on and then it becomes the worst bike ever and they will never buy one because of it

Ive ridden the hippies and it was superbly planted

high speed ( over 100) would make me think a bit with 21 inch front but only as it would not inspire the same confidence as 17 but feck em its what does the job best for a bod

Its like the Vibes on the XR the naysayers catch on and then it becomes the worst bike ever and they will never buy one because of it

Ive ridden the hippies and it was superbly planted

high speed ( over 100) would make me think a bit with 21 inch front but only as it would not inspire the same confidence as 17 but feck em its what does the job best for a bod
\

Mine's never given any stability problems at all, but then, I've never tried to max it out. Doing that on the roads I like would be near suicidal no matter how stable it was.

\

Mine's never given any stability problems at all, but then, I've never tried to max it out. Doing that on the roads I like would be near suicidal no matter how stable it was.

I actually meant cornering at high speed with the 21 inch front would make me think but thats all it would do and that particular bike isnt made for a max down the autobahn and anyone who buys one for that purpose is a bloody idiot

I actually meant cornering at high speed with the 21 inch front would make me think but thats all it would do and that particular bike isnt made for a max down the autobahn and anyone who buys one for that purpose is a bloody idiot

I had similar apprehensions about cornering speed. But a day at Oulton Park allayed those fears. OK - I was a bit wary of pushing TOO hard in corners, but I was still giving it the berries and had great fun overtaking various sports bikes!

Ask Giles about washing his front wheel out on a track day...

I think it's instructive to note how easy it is to get rid of chicken strips on the R.

Can I get in on this?

Sat on the all the adventure bikes at the Manchester show last weekend.

Got to say, The KTM 1290S was the only one that flicked my switch. I went back four times just to look it over.... bloody stunning in the flesh and fit me like a glove.

I really, really, really want one. Anyone need a kidney?

Got to say, The KTM 1290S was the only one that flicked my switch. I went back four times just to look it over.... bloody stunning in the flesh and fit me like a glove.

Do it, I am loving my 1190 after a few years of relatively drab bikes, much as I can have fun on pretty much anything with two wheels I have not found anything so good at everything before, the compromises for an all-rounder do not hinder the KTM at all.

I am looking forward to a time when I can upgrade my 1190 to the 1290, never considered replacing a bike with pretty much the same model ever before and most "face lifts" leave me feeling like I could not justify upgrading, but the 1290 is ticking all the boxes.

The only thing still annoying me a little is no customisation of the suspension settings, come on KTM how hard would it be to have added the option of fine tuning the settings - we don't all weight the same / ride the same as your test rider.

Do it, I am loving my 1190 after a few years of relatively drab bikes, much as I can have fun on pretty much anything with two wheels I have not found anything so good at everything before, the compromises for an all-rounder do not hinder the KTM at all.

I am looking forward to a time when I can upgrade my 1190 to the 1290, never considered replacing a bike with pretty much the same model ever before and most "face lifts" leave me feeling like I could not justify upgrading, but the 1290 is ticking all the boxes.

The only thing still annoying me a little is no customisation of the suspension settings, come on KTM how hard would it be to have added the option of fine tuning the settings - we don't all weight the same / ride the same as your test rider.

Don't tempt me!

Amazingly, the only thing that concerned me was the electronic integration in the suspension system! I know its the 'modern' way, and is supposed to have massive benefits in terms of ride and safety, but having ridden analogue bikes all my life I'm really concerned about the increasing intrusion of electronic trickery.

The actual thought going through my head when I looked at the plugs in the fork-caps from was 'fuck me, that'll be expensive if it goes wrong, and what happens to the suspension when it does!'

Still want one though...... I may have to wait 3 years until they all get returned once PCP contracts are up for renewal though. Hadn't thought about the 1190, may have to have a look into it. Cheers Brasher!

Should be plenty of good 1190's traded in for the new bikes.

2015 Onwards had a few little improvements so worth paying a few quid more for over a 13/14 - just look out for leftovers registered late, I have a 2015 on a 2016 plate (but 15 - 16 spec remained the same)

The 1190 "Electronic Suspension" is only adjusted electronically, it is not the "Semi Active" stuff fitted to the new bikes so should be cheaper to fix if it goes wrong, early bikes this was optional so you will find some 1190s with Manual suspension (and the R Versions come with manual suspension - and skinny 21" wheels for rough tough off road types)

A tidy 15 Model 1190 is probably a good buy - but will have the electronic suspension adjustment, but it also has the lean sensitive ABS / Traction as standard and an uprated airbox and starter motor.

A tidy 15 Model 1190 is probably a good buy - but will have the electronic suspension adjustment, but it also has the lean sensitive ABS / Traction as standard and an uprated airbox and starter motor.

Do you know that for definite? I'm not 100% sure but thought the lean sensitive stuff was 2014 onwards?

Andres

Do you know that for definite? I'm not 100% sure but thought the lean sensitive stuff was 2014 onwards?

Andres

I think you is right. standard on 14> and retro fittable to 13 MY as Davy F says. £300+ for a software update IIRC :eek:

2016 bikes got tougher wheel rims and possibly the airflow bits under the tank?

2016 bikes got tougher wheel rims and possibly the airflow bits under the tank?

I did not know that, then again I saved £3k on my leftover 2015 - the bits under the tank only cost about £20 and I plan to have them fitted on the annual service, plus the 1290 SA rear header pipe which I am told makes the biggest difference to reducing the excess heat chuck out.

I can live with soft rims as my riding is at the gentler end of the spectrum, and I am really happy the new S model has alloy wheels

Should have said - the stronger rims are for the 1190R.

I shall be saving thousands by keeping my "old" 2015 1190R and not buying a 1290SAR. Which while it definitely looks to be an improved bike, it doesn't look £5K better from here.

I shall be saving thousands by keeping my "old" 2015 1190R and not buying a 1290SAR. Which while it definitely looks to be an improved bike, it doesn't look £5K better from here.

I'll remind you of this post, in 6 months time.:D

Back
Top Bottom