ZRX1200S and Zx12R

jp842

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have just acquired these two on a bit of a whim. Has anyone had either , and any thoughts on what is good/bad about them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 904
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 747
I've had two ZX12's.
Rear tyre wear can be a bit of a problem so can fuel consumption. You're license will be in serious danger as well.

Absolutely bloody brilliant i'd have another tomorrow. They make the world go backwards and you will find yourself giggling like a child.

Hi

I had the ZX12R for five years from new in 2001, until I got my first GS. I bought the ZX after having a ZZR1100, and it was head and shoulders above the old bike. I has several problems with the headlight relay sticking on, and a broken wire to the cooling fan.

Thoroughly enjoyed my time with it, and completed my longest single journey on it, the 780 miles (I think) from Andorra to home.

ZX12r is a big heavy bike...loved my two. As stated above...world goes backwards !! Regulator wires apparently let oil along them and this burns out rectifier/regulator. Never happened on my two though. I found the ZX12R bars were a bit to far forward for my liking so fitted a straight bar conversion kit.

If you ever need to replace the battery on a zx12 buy the best you can do you don't have to do it again - and fit a take-off so you can charge it easily. I think it was about 30 bolts/fasteners to get to it!

Awesome bikes though - loved mine.

+ 1!

I'll take my zrx in Lawson colours, please.

Enjoy those two, happy days!

Just dug mine out again today ( now sporting black levers and OE green mudguard )....forgot how fast the bugger is !!:D

Wifey spanks it's arse as well !

Attachments

• Kawasaki ZX12R 19.11.2017 (4).jpg
    Kawasaki ZX12R 19.11.2017 (4).jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 509
Owned Both

of these. Infact in the same colours as well.

Only advise, but you probably know already. Keep them both standard. People are tempted to buy things. But Kawasaki got it right with the styling. Less is more.

Loved the ZX12R. Great bikes for not a lot of money.

Wasn't so keen on the ZRX1200S. But that was a personal thing. Always wished it was the Lawson replica type with the smaller fairing. Hated the mat black exhaust pipes. Always looked scruffy.

of these. Infact in the same colours as well.

Only advise, but you probably know already. Keep them both standard. People are tempted to buy things. But Kawasaki got it right with the styling. Less is more.

Loved the ZX12R. Great bikes for not a lot of money.

Wasn't so keen on the ZRX1200S. But that was a personal thing. Always wished it was the Lawson replica type with the smaller fairing. Hated the mat black exhaust pipes. Always looked scruffy.

Agreed, have the new OE silencer packed away in the loft. :)

Dug her out the other week and have put a few more miles on her.....gone back to standard colouring ( removed last owners anodised tat etc ).
Look's nice and mean in plain green and black !

Attachments

• IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 351
A nice suite of bikes you have there.
I had 3 of the ZX12 My No:1 bike ever.
A wheelie bike everywhere so steering damper a must, not easy to fit.
I made up my own mounting system for an Ohlin.
I also made up new lower pegs for the pillion and fitted a rack + throwovers.
We did 70,000 miles 2 up at bonkers speed.
No issues or tickets.
Its not the bike the world has moved and using a ZX12 with mild aggression would result in a lengthy jail term.
But to run one of these to the red line in every gear is an experience to relish.
Your biggest issue will be the need to constantly hold the beast back.
Fec it if I see a nice one i will buy it.

Back
Top Bottom