Documentation For Travelling To The USA?

Udders

A Needy Twat
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok, I've been looking at various websites concerning the essential documentation and where to get it from and I'm now totally confused! :blast
If I was going to do the TAT in August 2018 when do I start the process? My address is going to change in about 6 months when the divorce is sorted and the house sold. That won't help timings I guess?
From what I can make out I have to go to the US embassy in London? :confused:
How do I know if my passport has a chip in it?
I went to the US about 22 years ago but can't remember all this bollocks! :confused:
Do I need a visa? The trip will be less than 90 days.
It doesn't take much to fry my brain lately! :D

Help! :bow

Yeah, been there and read that thanks. :thumb2 Still confused! :D.
Do I still have to go to the embassy in London? I fucking hate London! :mad:

If your a British citizen you dont need a visa and your sure as fuck dont need to visit the embassy - you just need an esta as per the link above. You will need to fill out a green form (or is it now white?) handed out on the plane but as far as I know thats it.

Just make sure you have a proper medical insurance (with repatriation) that covers your riding and you ought to be good to go assuming your hiring/buying a bike in the USA for the ride.

If the Yanks get their way you'll soon have to also provide the password to your personal e mail and any social media accounts you have so they can see what you get up to on t'internet. That's Att's US trip fucked then :D

Medical insurance is the big one. Read all the fine print, the standard policy does not include bikes over 125

Don't go onto twitter or facebook and slag of Mr Trump or you may well find yourself on the US No Fly List (ps also don't share the same name with any convicted felons /suspected terrorists ....especially if you are 8 years old ) as you may get on the list as well

If the Yanks get their way you'll soon have to also provide the password to your personal e mail and any social media accounts you have so they can see what you get up to on t'internet. That's Att's US trip fucked then :D

I don't have any social media accounts and never have! :thumb2
Any emails I get are for things like car / bike insurance so nothing to worry about there either!

A word of warning . . . . . . My mate has toured Iran twice and a lot of the "Stans" on his motorbike. He was refused admission to the USA last week at "Pre Clearence" here in Dublin. It transpires that if you have visited any of the "long list" of countries the Americans feel are dodgy then you cant use the ESTA visa. You need to visit an embassy and do an interview. This has nothing to do with Trump, it was a pre existing rule that was there already. The real kick in the ass is that he is a serviny member of the Police (Gardai) here in Ireland and had a letter from the Commissioners office stating that he was returning to work four days later. So if you have a visa in your passport from a "foreign" :rolleyes: country check it out before you travel.

A baptismal certificate and show them a bank statement with your communion and confirmation money and I'd say you'll be fine.

Sent from a OnePlusX

A word of warning . . . . . . My mate has toured Iran twice and a lot of the "Stans" on his motorbike. He was refused admission to the USA last week at "Pre Clearence" here in Dublin. It transpires that if you have visited any of the "long list" of countries the Americans feel are dodgy then you cant use the ESTA visa. You need to visit an embassy and do an interview. This has nothing to do with Trump, it was a pre existing rule that was there already. The real kick in the ass is that he is a serviny member of the Police (Gardai) here in Ireland and had a letter from the Commissioners office stating that he was returning to work four days later. So if you have a visa in your passport from a "foreign" :rolleyes: country check it out before you travel.

That's why I have 2 passports.
One has places like Australia, Canada, USA etc
The other is for the Arab/African countries etc.

And if you tell them you are the recipient of the Victoria Cross. you will still get hassle for visiting Iraq!!

If your a British citizen you dont need a visa and your sure as fuck dont need to visit the embassy - you just need an esta as per the link above. You will need to fill out a green form (or is it now white?) handed out on the plane but as far as I know thats it.

Just make sure you have a proper medical insurance (with repatriation) that covers your riding and you ought to be good to go assuming your hiring/buying a bike in the USA for the ride.

No forms anymore, but be prepared to spend hours at immigration being grilled by some fat twat in Homeland Security who thinks he's Jack Bauer and the only thing standing in the way of the imminent destruction of the American way of life by "terrists", which is anyone that's not a fat white American. Make sure you you can tell them where you are spending the trip - easiest to say the Hilton in whatever city you land in (but check where it is, and maybe even make a booking you can cancel), as they won't have heard of anything else, and definitely don't say you are touring. Don't say you are meeting anybody, and do say you are a tourist.

And don't listen to headphones in the queue - it sends them wild :forry (DAMHIK)

As of last November you still needed to complete the visa waiver form handed out on the plane.

Sent from SYDland...

Just the customs forms I think - the ESTA is the visa waiver programme.

As of last November you still needed to complete the visa waiver form handed out on the plane.

Sent from SYDland...

Summat like that. By the time the form comes round I'm pissed and doodle any old crap on it.

Sent from SYDland...

I can strongly recommend flying out from Dublin. You go through US passport control and customs on 'this side' and just arrive at a domestic terminal. NO passport control, no customs, nothing on their side.
The officials were very pleasant and the process was efficient.
And, if there are any problems, at least you're still on this side of the Atlantic.

You also save a wedge in tax by flying from outside the UK.

I can strongly recommend flying out from Dublin. You go through US passport control and customs on 'this side' and just arrive at a domestic terminal. NO passport control, no customs, nothing on their side.
The officials were very pleasant and the process was efficient.

Yup. did this last April the lady who dealt with us spent 20 minutes listing all the places we should visit in San Diego, her home city. A great start for our trip. :beerjug:

We flew in to the US last night. As long as you've got a passport with a chip in (there's a picture of a camera, or something similar on the front) and an ESTA (takes about 10 minutes to fill out online), it's quick and easy.:thumb

Fill out the white customs declaration form on the plane. After you land, most airports have automated customs here, so you enter all your details, then it prints a receipt. You then hand that to a customs officer.

We got from the plane, through customs & security, and out the door in under 10 minutes yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom