Holiday in Dubai

DottyDog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm off to Dubai in a little over a weeks time for a family holiday. Quite fancy getting a bit of two wheel action when I'm there for 1/2 a day or so.does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not look at women, have sex o a beach and so forth. Or it may end up being very long holiday indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, funny place Dubai

Don't know abour 2 wheelers, they are more into dune bashing in landcruisers

You can go to the water park at the Atlantis without being a guest and it's great for a day out, very nice aquarium too
You have to pay obviously but I don't know how much 'cos I was a guest

There's a ski slope at one of the malls (Al Arab ? can't remember) but it's not huge

There's a bit of a museum in the old town

Otherwise I'm afraid there's not much there apart from expensive shops

I was there 2 weeks ago, drinks were ridiculously expensive at £10 for a pint. I'm there again in a couple of weeks but honestly I wouldn't bother

Biking in Dubai is a perilous pastime, driving is atrocious, taxi drivers must work 20 hours a day, because they fall asleep at the wheel, and all the cars are huge because fuel is cheap, if it's windy, it's like being in a sandblaster, it's hot and dull, the Atlantis is OK, the wife liked swimming with dolphins, and the 4x4's in the desert, and the shopping, though it's far from cheap, the museum is poor, but the only old thing their that's old I hated it, wife loved it, so much so the next time she went, I paid for her sister to go with her.

People do seem to love trotting out the same old drivel about Dubai. i sometimes wonder if they have ever been there or, if they have been, if they ever ventured much beyond the 5 star hotels or shopping malls.

I lived there for 3 years and, if you are willing to make an effort, there is much to do beyond a 'costa' type holiday.

So some random thoughts & comments:

* driving can be a bit manic, but it is not as bad as aroundLondon or any other large english conurbation. So of the motorway type roads can be huge: one section of the outer ring road, between Dubai & Sharjah, is 12 lanes wide on each side of the central reservation!

* There are a surprising number of motorbikes in Dubai, but they tend to come out at the weekends. Harleys tend to get out and about round the built up areas, whilst others go on ride-outs up into the mountains between Dubai & Fujairah

* Dune bashing is available, but typically as a passenger in a Land Cruiser. Great fun, as the drivers are very experienced.

* if you head out into the desert ('Big Red' dune for example) you can rent quad bikes of various sizes and powers and bash the dunes yourself.

* Heritage in dubai is much better than you might expect. Head to the Dubai Creek and get an abbra (a water taxi) across the creek. that way, you can visit the Gold Souk and Fishmarket on the north side of the creek and the Old Souk on the south side. The south side also gives you acess to the Heritage village.

* The Jumeirah Mosque welcomes visitors and you can get a guided tour where they explain the various aspects of worship in the mosque.

* Shopping Malls are big business. I would recommend the Dubai Mall as, when you want a break from the shopping, you can go outside and watch the world's largest dancing fountains in the lake; visit the Burj Khalifa (the visitor centre is accessed from the lower floor of the Dubai Mall); have a circular walk around the lake and visit the smaller Souk al Bahar for a less manic meal or drink.

* For 'heritage' with a big H, head up the coast to Sharjah, where they have a fantastic selection of museums. I would recommend the Aquarium, the Old Airport building, the Arabic History museum, and the Natural Museum. The Old Airport museum is the old airfield buildings from when Imperial Airways used to fly the big Handley Page airliners out to the far reaches of the Empire.

yes, it is expensive, but those that live there are on tax-free salaries!!!!

Enjoy

Rented off-road bikes several times in Dub with no issues where you get a guide through the dunes. Trips varied from 4hrs to a full 3 day trip. Excellent fun and I found sand riding improved my abilities on-road.

Yes,DON'T GO !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 Don't go it's an oppressive third world backward thinking country, yes I know from experience, and yes it is that shit outside of the polish and shine of the usual.

Back
Top Bottom