AirPods

GrinningGSer

Infamous old git
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the NavV will connect to Apple airpods.?
Can't test in an apple store because NavV needs to be in its cradle. I can see a use: it'll be better music quality than my Senna unit but if anyone has them could they advise about communications and microphone i.e. what happens when a cal comes in? I've done a search and nada on here.

OR how about the new Beats X wireless:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/scoCVAk7_JI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I'm very aware that playing music whilst riding, or driving is a personal choice and for me I like music, but also find my senna inadequate for quality. Furthermore, I like to ride with earplugs, so the better noise deadening properties of Beats X could be an advantage provided, of course, that the music is not at ear damaging volume.
I will GUESS that neither of the above will accept route guidance from Nav V

Why couldn't you test it in the Apple Store? Surely, the Nav V works when out of the cradle, as long as it is charged up?

But, as long as the Bluetooth connection on the AirPods or Beats are the A2DP (or whatever the letters and numbers should be) standard the Nav V looks for when playing music, then I cannot see why the Nav V will view the Airpods any differently to a Sena or other Bluetooth headset in your helmet.
- in the past, I had my Nav V linking up with a £30 Sony bluetooth radio/MP3 player that I used to put in my top pocket. And that worked well, as they were the required A2DP standard

Seems all of this is academic cos I'd need a round trip of 160 miles to find any AirPods (Apple have an availability checker) and beats (yes owned by Apple) are delayed. Yes, also seems to be a2dp , unlike my older senna, so should connect. Here is a tech teardown and it rapidly gets beyond my understanding. I doubt that the inbuilt accelerometer, for siri activation, would work whilst wearing a helmet; guess I'd need a good bash from my fist :D
For people who like tearing things apart:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ahNUjteea8w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Update: I've now tried AirPods and purchased the Beats x: they fit far more snug in the ears, therefore giving better external noise reduction and also better music bass. They integrate with ALL of my bluetooth music devices INCLUDING Nav V. Also have the Apple W1 chip which integrates with all apple devices. (Apple own Beats ). 5 mins lightning charge gives 2 hrs use and full charge gives 8 hrs. I can also charge these from the GS power socket: (my helmet Senna need mains charging)
I tried a pair of AirPods and these were also impressive, but I would lose one or both and therefore would require a neck strap, which removes their advantage against the Beats X. Sound on the Beats X is good but not fabulous, buy nevertheless less far superior to my Senna outfit and is A2DP , which my old Senna isn't. Its good to have mobile ear pods.
Can't road test these on the bike yet cos awaiting an MOT and service, then good to go ...

Two potential negatives for Beats x: 1) Unable to alter the volume, on the move, from Nav V because it says " use bluetooth control " ( I know that Nav V has a master control for its audio output levels ) 2) It is essential to hide the bluetooth control inside your helmet because it is a)not waterproof and b)contains the microphone. All of these may not be an issue once the volume is correctly set. Note you CAN alter the volume from an Apple device if connected to that device, but it doesn't work that way with Nav V.

Back
Top Bottom