LED bulbs

The bulb back end is much bigger than the old halogen the heat sink will probably catch the access hole in rear of headlight. Be careful to not dislodge the beam level adjuster. It's a plastic ball & socket and does pop out.
I turned down my heat sinks to give a bit more clearance taking the tapered shape to parallel.

Sent somehow.
Yeah, I'm expecting to have to fiddle around with the install. I'm considering running the main beam bulb without the heat sink as it won't be lit for long periods.
I'm aiming to keep the original connector and covers intact so I can put it back to standard if I need to. Probably have to make up some patch leads to allow a neat job.

Oneplus 2 = my phone

Those rear caps you got. Does any other model share the same part? Like the RT and so one?

Good idea to get a couple of spares.

Those rear caps you got. Does any other model share the same part? Like the RT and so one?

Don't know....I just looked on eBay and some guy had 3 for sale for £4.99 each

Oneplus 2 = my phone

Yeah, I'm expecting to have to fiddle around with the install. I'm considering running the main beam bulb without the heat sink as it won't be lit for long periods.
I'm aiming to keep the original connector and covers intact so I can put it back to standard if I need to. Probably have to make up some patch leads to allow a neat job.

Oneplus 2 = my phone

The main beam is probably ok running bare but the dip beam heat sink fouled the opening and its always on. I didn't take much metal away 1/4" off the radius did the job.

My ballast/driver boxes have quite short leads so I tucked the OEM H7 connectors into the lamp casing. Then spliced two new connectors into the three wire feed to the lamp. The most elegant would be a suitable inline connector but I've no clue where to find one.

Sent somehow.

Lots of models share that part ... looking at an 05 RT, its also used on E90 / 91 - GSA & K series

Mart

When I fitted Horizons LED`s over a year ago I purchased some rubber blanking grommets from ebay and punched a hole in them to suit the neck of the led`s.
These also had removable heatsinks without fans or control modules.
The grommets were cheap and allowed the heatsinks to do their job.

The issue for me was the heatsinks stopped the reflector moving low enough. On my first outing I had to tape over the dip lens.

Sent somehow.

I have not had that problem, low beam cut off is good.
Also had it double checked when it was MOT`d , although not necessary as the chap that does the mot`s is very thorough.

I've got the same, albeit the H4 version in my R Nine T, the Heatsinks are reversible to. Mine were sold as Phillips Luxeon, and the emitters are branded but the rest is probably the usual chinese effort. A single H4 works very well though, I reversed the heatsink to make it fit more easily in the headlight bowl of the 9T and so far, so good. Beam cut off's look almost identical to the H4 Halogen it replaced, and quality wise, no issues as of yet.

This was my kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H4-LED-Ph...lamp-Bulb-Light-6500K-Lumileds-/182449459475? Cheaper than the Cyclops, and gives me a spare :)

I've got the same, albeit the H4 version in my R Nine T, the Heatsinks are reversible to. Mine were sold as Phillips Luxeon, and the emitters are branded but the rest is probably the usual chinese effort. A single H4 works very well though, I reversed the heatsink to make it fit more easily in the headlight bowl of the 9T and so far, so good. Beam cut off's look almost identical to the H4 Halogen it replaced, and quality wise, no issues as of yet.

This was my kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H4-LED-Ph...lamp-Bulb-Light-6500K-Lumileds-/182449459475? Cheaper than the Cyclops, and gives me a spare :)

This looks good and well worth considering.

Is it me ,

The halogen appeared to give a better visible area 30 ft in front of the bike, albeit with reduced peripheral pattern

The LED gave a superb peripheral pattern but was visibly weaker in the area in front of the lamp (ie where you need it)

We need some before and after night shots for comparison chaps

Mart

Maybe it does but the R Nine T is a summer toy, and for me it's more about getting noticed and the LED on low beam is much more noticeable on the road. I don't think I've used it at night yet

The H4 kit I fitted does have an almost identical cut off and beam pattern to the halogen but is much whiter and brighter.

When I've got time I will do some before and afters

I have not had that problem, low beam cut off is good.
Also had it double checked when it was MOT`d , although not necessary as the chap that does the mot`s is very thorough.

The dip cutoff is well defined with no scatter, I've now got the reflector set as low as possible but it's still a touch high. The reflector moves normally with the adjuster so I don't believe that's the bulb's fault. It's possible that adjusting the dip beam emitters a bit closer to the reflector might help. But I believe it's my headlight.
My heat sinks fouled the cut down bulb covers but might have been ok without the covers.

Sent somehow.

6b4eaf1327813a7e902a56a55caf3206.jpg

2ff1b8f033a99c3504637d42aeb93e33.jpg

So far so good, by twisting the bulb retention spring clip 'ears' at right angles it has given me enough clearance to reverse the heatsink and get it far enough into the housing to fit the original covers. So only needed to drill 14mm hole for the 4 pin connector. I'm hoping there's enough volume of air inside the headlight unit to keep the bulbs cool enough.
Next hurdle is getting the power connectors that I've tucked inside to the external LED drivers.

Oneplus 2 = my phone

Looks neat,

but you need airflow over the heatsink to diassapate the heat,

Unless the heatsink is capable of doing it without any form of additional cooling

Can you not get the heatsink outside the case into the airflow?

Id be tempted to run it up as is , can you get some temperature readings of the cased and uncased varients?

Mart

Back
Top Bottom