LED bulbs

All the wiring bits n bobs have arrived...now to bodge..... err, solder my patch lead together.
f2c3c89e16c095b12522e849c85377d6.jpg

Oneplus 2 = my phone

All zip tied up ready for re fitting...gonna run like this while I see what sort of heat builds up, if it's not too bad the caps will go on.

b0f710ad3d0103ac400273c3f059cca7.jpg

Oneplus 2 = my phone

How are you going to measure the temps?

I have a laser type thermometer, which is well handy for brake hubs etc.

The temp when your moving should be quite low due to air movement,

Its the temp that will build up when you stationery, slow moving traffic etc

Mart

All zip tied up ready for re fitting...gonna run like this while I see what sort of heat builds up, if it's not too bad the caps will go on.

b0f710ad3d0103ac400273c3f059cca7.jpg

Oneplus 2 = my phone

So where are the patch leads in that lot?

Mart

If these are designed for cars, that have very enclosed headlight areas, why do peeps predict problems on an unfaired bike?

Has anyone in our climate had any problems with these?

If these are designed for cars, that have very enclosed headlight areas, why do peeps predict problems on an unfaired bike?

Has anyone in our climate had any problems with these?

If you look at a car design, it wouldnt matter if you had to leave the back covers off, as the area is quite dry being that they have a bonnet to cover everything.

The problem with bikes, is that you need to get the power feed from the bulb to the ballast, then the ballast to the main loom, as the unit hangs

out the back of the housing, all of this stuff including the back of the lamp unit is open to the elements

if you cover everything up, you build up heat, heat kills electrical components, may not be instantly, but it will shorten a components lifespan.

Mart

Patch lead finally done after much swearing, but no burnt fingers...
89780ea4d5720e7a546bd9bd5ecf605a.jpg

Now to see if it works....

Oneplus 2 = my phone

They have a fan built into the heatsink, not good IMO, possible failure point.
That also means heatsink is fixed, so u can't get behind it to seal the bulb in the housing while heatsink is open to the air.
Also noticed colour temp is 6500k and various threads I've read say stay at 6000k or below, but have no experience of this myself.

Oneplus 2 = my phone

I find the claims simply unbelievable
Max current draw is 2.2A which would be, at the highest rated voltage of (an improbable) 48v, 106watts. At 12v that the bike will give(ok it could be up to 14.4), you would see no more than 26/30 watts.
I've no doubt they would be bright but a claim of 25200lumens is ridiculous, seller should also learn proper English!

Off for a coffee now my piss has simmered down

Many of these adverts quote the current draw per bulb but the lumens are per pair.
The light output is halogen equivalent whatever that means.
Halogens by the way turn less than 10% of the power into light. LEDs convert a much higher proportion so need much less power and are still many times brighter.
IMO anything above 6000K is too blue. Mine are 6000K and don't seem to have quite the depth of the HIDs. The LEDs have more blue (less useful) light but get by on brute power.

Sent somehow.

Had a chance to get out and try my new LED's now and I must say they're pretty good. The dip beam is so bright I hardly notice the difference when I switch main beam on.
Was surprised how hot the heatsink gets though, pleased I opted to keep it outside of the unit in the end.

Oneplus 2 = my phone

Had a chance to get out and try my new LED's now and I must say they're pretty good. The dip beam is so bright I hardly notice the difference when I switch main beam on.
Was surprised how hot the heatsink gets though, pleased I opted to keep it outside of the unit in the end.

Oneplus 2 = my phone

Pictures please :) and how hot is hot?

Mart

As hot as I could stand to hold, any hotter and I would've let go!
I'll post some pics later

Oneplus 2 = my phone

Can you do a pic in situ?,

Just trying to work out where you connected and fed the patch lead from inside to outside

Mart

The patch lead connects to the loom and I just snaked it around the bottom of the clocks as that's where I cable tied the LED driver boxes. If I did it again, I'd make the lead a lot shorter.
I'll post some pics in a bit.

Oneplus 2 = my phone

I soldered H7 bulb connectors to the loom. Not ideal. A patch lead with two H7 leads and a connector as mentioned above is a much better option.

Sent somehow.

Back
Top Bottom