LED bulbs

Bendy toy

Reaction score
I've just fitted these.

1 Pair Philips LED Chips 4800LM H7 Headlamp Headlight Kit Beam Bulb 6000K LD904

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272450840088

They are a very bright white so NOT the blue tint I'd expected from 6000K. Light output is even higher that the HIDs I used to have. However I've done the job because one burner had failed, I don't know if their output was falling off.

My headlight tilt mechanism has at some time been repaired and came loose. Needing to use the bike I gaffa taped over the top 2/3 of the dip lens. It still put loads more light on the road than the original halogen bulb.

The bulb has an adjustable ferrule that can be turned or moved in/out. The LED emitters are at the same level as the halogen filament so I've kept mine as they came from the box.

The bulb back ends have a screw-on heat sink that's too tall for the OEM lamp covers and the H7 bulb connectors need to be brought outside the headlamp case.

It would probably be better to chop off the OEM headlight connector and solder the H7 connectors to wire extensions but this was my choice.

The LED driver blocks are cable tied to the beak frame.

The the LED heat sinks are too tall to accept the OEM bulb covers. Either risk dirt getting inside the light or find a fix. I cut the backs off to make screw on rings then cut 3" discs of thin rubber these fit under the heat sinks and are trapped under the cover ring. Being thin and flexible they don't interfere with the reflector tilt adjustment.

Red rubber grease on the outside allows the cover ring to turn without tearing rubber.

Rubber glove washer/boot, bulb, heatsink and cut off/trimmed cover.
96c512ae60e358138aa3136685220456.jpg

Bulb and washer fitted. The H7 flange is thicker than a halogen bulb so pointed nose pliers make it easier to fit the holding clip.
80a3b38204fa2029c36327809b3e7d57.jpg

Job done. Refit the lamp and connect the LED drivers.
e9e880a3acdb37a6da9c475140342bca.jpg

Interesting project, Bendy.
Was your HID kit the 35 or 50w kit and how is the beam pattern compared to before?
I have the HID50 kit(50w) and do like it. Did have a problem last September while in France. Might have been the 30+C temperatures in the city, but the lamp warning came on and went off again when it cooled down. When I was parked up in the garage at the hotel in the Pyrenees, I noticed that the dip had a pronounced flicker. Couldn't be bothered putting in an original bulb and didn't seem to be doing any harm.
When I got home and removed the bulb, I noticed that there was slight heat damage to the reflector just above where the bulb had been.
If anyone else has that flicker in their HID system, time to check your reflector!
The original 6k bulbs were a definite blueish white and certainly got attention when coming up behind cars. Couldn't get a 6k at the time so replaced the dip with a 5k. This is a definite white.
It has made me a bit paranoid about looking for flickering since and I do struggle with the warm up time with HID. The high beam flash is useless.
Be interested to hear how you get on with this kit.

These bulbs are rated at 40 watts. But 4,800 lumens is about 5x the light from a 50 watt halogen.
The HIDs were supposed to be 3x the light of a normal halogen. They were very bright (and well focused) and have not damaged the reflector.

The bike did 35 miles on fast duals this morning. The dip beam heat sink was quite warm but nothing like the heat thrown off a normal halogen.

This afternoon it did a similar distance at 1/2 the speed and the heat sink again was warm but not too hot to touch.
The rubber glove coped fine. No signs of getting too hot. But it will perish and isn't exactly glamorous, but it keeps the shyte out until I find a better idea.

The lamp may be fine without any covers over the bulbs. The normal lids seal tightly but water can often get in via the pilot bulb which is not a reliable fit.

Maybe all it needs is a cup shaped cover that lets air flow but keeps splashes and spray out of the lamp.

The dip beam has a good cutoff at least as good as the halogen. But saying that the HID was perfectly acceptable and always passed the mot.

Last night with half of the dip beam taped off, I still had far better forward visiblity than the old halogen. Main beam lights up the whole road.

It's subjective and I don't know if the HIDs had degraded but I recon these LEDs are more powerful.

I've now sorted out the wonky beam tilt mechanism. It's been un clipped before and someone has drilled the case so the ball & socket can be reconnected. The drilled hole has a rubber plug.

These bulbs are rated at 40 watts. But 4,800 lumens is about 5x the light from a 50 watt halogen.
The HIDs were supposed to be 3x the light of a normal halogen. They were very bright (and well focused) and have not damaged the reflector.

The bike did 35 miles on fast duals this morning. The dip beam heat sink was quite warm but nothing like the heat thrown off a normal halogen.

This afternoon it did a similar distance at 1/2 the speed and the heat sink again was warm but not too hot to touch.
The rubber glove coped fine. No signs of getting too hot. But it will perish and isn't exactly glamorous, but it keeps the shyte out until I find a better idea.

The lamp may be fine without any covers over the bulbs. The normal lids seal tightly but water can often get in via the pilot bulb which is not a reliable fit.

Maybe all it needs is a cup shaped cover that lets air flow but keeps splashes and spray out of the lamp.

The dip beam has a good cutoff at least as good as the halogen. But saying that the HID was perfectly acceptable and always passed the mot.

Last night with half of the dip beam taped off, I still had far better forward visiblity than the old halogen. Main beam lights up the whole road.

It's subjective and I don't know if the HIDs had degraded but I recon these LEDs are more powerful.

I've now sorted out the wonky beam tilt mechanism. It's been un clipped before and someone has drilled the case so the ball & socket can be reconnected. The drilled hole has a rubber plug.

Hi Bendy the led bulbs you have I don't think are Phillips as I imported some myself from china and they are identical to yours !
When I had my bike serviced by mikeyboy I got him to put them on at the same time , he fitted them without the heat sink.
So far they have been fine and with the added bonus that only a small hole for the cable is required to fit the original covers back.
This gives much more air and space round the builds themselves.
Mine also came with additional modules for canbus but they were not needed on the GS as no warning lights came up.

Bendy, type into eBay 'rubber headlight bulb cover hid'.
There's various sizes made exactly for that purpose.

Great find.
I want to keep the heat sinks exposed at least until I know how warm they get. The information with the bulbs is minimal to say the least.
But there are no end of rubber covers so there must be something suitable.

Sent somehow.

Hi Bendy the led bulbs you have I don't think are Phillips as I imported some myself from china and they are identical to yours !
When I had my bike serviced by mikeyboy I got him to put them on at the same time , he fitted them without the heat sink.
So far they have been fine and with the added bonus that only a small hole for the cable is required to fit the original covers back.
This gives much more air and space round the builds themselves.
Mine also came with additional modules for canbus but they were not needed on the GS as no warning lights came up.

Interesting stuff.

The LED emitters might be Phillips but at the price and no branding anywhere its probably advertising BS.

I want to keep the lamp shell reasonably water proof. But with your experience of these bulbs and @comberjohn's universal covers it looks like it's an easy option.

I will be changing the H7 connectors back to normal and splicing into the loom connector. The LEDs are still an unknown quantity so putting the wires through the lamp case was a bad idea.

I'm using the ballast boxes.

Sent somehow.

Ok so here's the SP.
the bulbs fit though you need pointed pliers to fit the spring clips.
The bulb covers are not deep enough to accommodate the heat sinks.
I wanted to be sure they don't overheat so cut the tops off the covers. It leaves a rim about 8mm high. The covers have a bayonet fitting so finding a suitable rubber cap hasn't happened.
At full dipped angle the heat sinks catch the covers. My beam aims high so to get enough dip, I turned about 1/4" off the bottom edge of the heat sink to make space to move.
The lamp still needs to be sealed. A 3" dia washer cut from any waterproof material will do. It can be rubber or polyurethane glove or an old nylon rain suit.
Fit bulb, fit washer, grease the cover ring gasket and fit. The washer gets trapped under the bayonet end.
I chose to splice a new pair of H7 bulb connectors into the headlamp power lead. It's fiddly so I extended the three wires.

Sent somehow.

Got to say I have been happy with mine so far though they have not been used in the dead of night .
After I had them I went out with some g's members and they commented on how bright they look.
I have the same bulbs fitted to the car and they made a vast difference , I only fitted them for dipped beam as I wanted to see how they performed first.
I also got some led sidelights for the car as well as they looked like glow-worms compared to the dipped.
So far (but time will tell) can recommend fitting without the heat sink and using BMW cover.
Another thought since the heat sink screws off if you wanted to keep it you could be turned down on a lathe or filed or cut to shape.

Got to say I have been happy with mine so far though they have not been used in the dead of night .
After I had them I went out with some g's members and they commented on how bright they look.
I have the same bulbs fitted to the car and they made a vast difference , I only fitted them for dipped beam as I wanted to see how they performed first.
I also got some led sidelights for the car as well as they looked like glow-worms compared to the dipped.
So far (but time will tell) can recommend fitting without the heat sink and using BMW cover.
Another thought since the heat sink screws off if you wanted to keep it you could be turned down on a lathe or filed or cut to shape.
Are you using the exact same LEDs as Bendy Toy?

Oneplus 2 = my phone

Pretty sure there the same but as i imported mine from china mysef cannot be 100% sure.
But they look identical

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Left hand is LED right is standard H7 bulb massive difference .

Whats a ferule?
If its the mounting ring by memory i think so

Yes they do found another pic
abcc1047ad5f6e170d7db2b2399c48ab.jpg

Same thing i think ?
762c249421e01b14f89a00b495c36f85.jpg

They look like mine. I turned the heat sink sides to parallel. The fins bend easily so light cuts only.

Ive kept the ferrules/flanges as they came out of the box and they seem ok. Holding against a Halogen bulb the LED emitters are at the same height as the original bulb element.

However it could be rotated 90 deg to shine either side instead of up/down or moved in/out to change focus.

Sent somehow.

Back
Top Bottom