Aces and super sausages

Simian73

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Got a little trip planned from Lincolnshire to the super sausage cafe near towcester then after a brief overnighter, onto the ace cafe in that there London. We are going via webbs triumph in Peterborough (some of us are tex mounted) and have a decent route to here but from here to the sausage cafe it's a605/a45/a5. This sees a bit boring so open to suggestions on a better route from webbs to sausage cafe then onto the ace. From the ace we where going over towards thetford forest before returning to Lincolnshire and again open to suggestions on the good roads. I've got simons weirs bikers Britain to help out but it's just adding the good stuff together.

I can't help with the route but hats off to you for heading to the Super Sausage, it's a great place. :thumb2

From my memory of visiting the rellies in King's Lynn from East London I used to head up to Braintree (boring bit of either M11 to Stansted then A120 across to Braintree, or up the A12 to Whitham then out the back road). From Braintree up to Halstead, then Long Melford - pleasant enough ARoads but not that many good blast opportunities, then into Bury. Get through Bury and head up to Elveden (notthe mai road to Thetford) on b roads under A11 and up through Thetford chase. Roads here great blatting through the forest. Past Centre parcs up to Brandon, head out towards Mundfordd but just out of Brandon hook left to Weeting and Methwold then eventually join main road to KL near Wareham. Head on to Stradsett and you can then either go left towards Downham Market or straight on (its a staggered crossroad) to KL and head up A17 (dull). If you head towards Downham dont go into Downham centre but go south to Denver - home of what used to be my favouritest bike dealer Denver M/c's a Ducati dealer - now defunct I think.Go through Denver over the sluice and out on ARoad to Wisbech. Stay on this road through Wisbech (dont stop unless you want to get mugged or marry your cousin) and you will hit the A17 at the Macdonalds past Sutton Bridge. Not sure where in Lincs youre heading but if you re north based then you can blattup the 17 then head upto the A52 breaking off to hubberts Bridge then Langrick Bridge through New York to Horncastle then up over Caistor top .

For the Peterbrough to Super Sausage if you want to avoid dreary dual cariageways then head out on A47 to Leicester. Keepgoing till youget to Uppingham - A47 is an ok fast a road - then head south to Medbourne and Market Harborough - a well known twisty bike route. From Harbourough head towards East Farndon, Clipston , Naseby (battle of) Cold Ashby into Watford and drop under M1 and onto A5 near Watford Gap. Straight run downA5 to SSausage.

Hope that gives you some ideas.....enjoy the ride whatever you do.

From Peterborough take the B660 South then plot a route across using the B Roads above Bedford and South of the A45

From the Sausage get East of the A5 and pick a B Road route down towards Thame via the Claydon's - all those B roads are nice and head in the general direction.

Alternatively leave Lincolnshire and go North to the Dales and avoid to greasy joints

From the Super Sausage head over to the A413, it's a decent road and runs right down to the A40 which will then take you on to the Ace.

Seeing your reference to Webbs here in Peterborough, reminded me that their premises in Eye looked derelict and empty last week when I drove past.
I thought they had closed down.
They have in fact relocated to a spanking new shop near Baldersons bmw.
Hopefully the burger van can find them as easily as I did - had to cut my visit short and resorted to a Maccy d...which was nice.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will get the map out and get plotting.

Avoid the Ace it is crap , head to Foxes / H Cafe at the junction of A415 / A4074 near Dorchester on Thames, if you are feeling flush go to the Riverside Cafe at Benson.

The Super Sausage still gets a decent turnout on the weekend. They run regular events in the season. Here is last years list to give you a flavour, yet to be updated for 2017: -

http://www.supersausagecafe.co.uk/super-sausage-events-2016/

Personally I would give the Ace a miss; maybe do it once. It's OK when you get there, but all at the expense of about 45 miles of slab each way for us. Much the same with Rykers; too much boring Motorway & always the risk of filtering for miles through tailbacks. We sometimes use On Yer Bike, on the A41 west of Aylesbury - decent burger van & a good mix of bikes.

H's at Berinsfield (formerly Fox's Diner) run a weekly evening meet in season, Mondays I think. Usually a good turnout, but we were not impressed with the food. The Riverside at Benson is far superior, with a great outlook onto the Thames & a busy cruiser boat yard - this is a great stop on a nice day, but expensive as KC says. The golden arches have an outlet nearby too.

Back
Top Bottom