Vietnam: more than just Migs and Skyraiders

Great report. We’re off to Vietnam (and Thailand, Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia) in January on a 7 week tour using buses, boats and a few flights. Having grown up with nightly reports of the Vietnam war, or what the Vietnamese call the American war, we’re really looking forward to being there

Enjoyed that, did it (the ride report :) in bite size chunks over a few weeks so now I can finally close the extra UKGSER tab in my browser.:aidan:D:beerjug:

Im glad this thread is having a resurgence as thats how I spotted it. Im heading over that way for 12 weeks in about a fortnight and plan to rent a bike in Vietnam. I went for 8 weeks earlier this year to Thailand and Vietnam but only hired bikes in Thailand for 6 weeks. My understanding is that you cant legally rde a bike in Vietnam as a IDP is not accepted and to get a Vietnamese license you need to be a resident in Vietnam. Is that your understanding or am i missing something??

I went to Saigon, Cu-Chi and the Meekong Delta to Kan Toa whilst I was there and cant reccomend it enough. Like you im planning to start from Hanoi this time and focus on the North before going back to Thailand and Myanmar..... cant wait and this has really got me excited again.

I know what you mean about the weather over there changing. We got caught in a typhoon which developed in a matter of minutes and I was really worried. There were corrugated steel roofs blowing across the roads in front of us, trees falling down and the debris getting blown onto my knuckles was painful. It went fro sunny to nightmare in about 2-3 minutes and lasted about 20 mins that felt an eternity...... I should write a post of that trip myself.

Thanks for posting.

AndyT:cool:

Im glad this thread is having a resurgence as thats how I spotted it. Im heading over that way for 12 weeks in about a fortnight and plan to rent a bike in Vietnam. I went for 8 weeks earlier this year to Thailand and Vietnam but only hired bikes in Thailand for 6 weeks. My understanding is that you cant legally rde a bike in Vietnam as a IDP is not accepted and to get a Vietnamese license you need to be a resident in Vietnam. Is that your understanding or am i missing something??

I went to Saigon, Cu-Chi and the Meekong Delta to Kan Toa whilst I was there and cant reccomend it enough. Like you im planning to start from Hanoi this time and focus on the North before going back to Thailand and Myanmar..... cant wait and this has really got me excited again.

I know what you mean about the weather over there changing. We got caught in a typhoon which developed in a matter of minutes and I was really worried. There were corrugated steel roofs blowing across the roads in front of us, trees falling down and the debris getting blown onto my knuckles was painful. It went fro sunny to nightmare in about 2-3 minutes and lasted about 20 mins that felt an eternity...... I should write a post of that trip myself.

Thanks for posting.

AndyT:cool:

I’m off in march to ride from Hanoi to Ho Chi Min . We are getting Vietnamese driving licences , though IDP was ok earlier this year as you say you now need a driving licence .
I’ve done the north twice but looking forward to the ride south . Beautiful country . Again thanks for your write up

Lonely planet now state that you only need an IDP and local insurance on their website for vietnam.
We are considering a trip next year so I have been doing some research as when we went 3 yrs ago we hired a bike not realising we wouldn’t have been covered if we had a mishap on it.

Al.

My daughter spent a few weeks in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh and didn't want to leave. On my (long) list of must do items.

Trump wasn't as keen this week though :rolleyes:

Just left Vietnam and now in Cambodia. Excellent report and so accurate. Saigon war museum brought a tear, or several, to the eye. Agent Orange, or dioxin (look it up) was evil beyond imagination. Fascinating country, but so were Burma (myanmar is the military’s name for Burma), Laos and Thailand.

Been to Thailand 4 times, only been back from the last trip a couple of weeks. We have done a couple of week long bike trips in Thailand, both in the north from Chang mai, cheap food, nice places to visit and really good roads
One route following the Mekong and back to Chang mai and then the mae hong son loop which follows the border with Burma, both are about 700km, from this trip report it sounds like there is a wider range of bigger bikes available in Thailand, would definitely recommend a visit.

Al.

Hi did Vietnam Cambodia and Laos 4 years ago most fantastic Holiday we have ever had it’s a bucket list must ����☹️

Back
Top Bottom