Dunedin

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
11th February 2017

I sleep well (aided, I'm sure, by the six pack of Amstel
biggrin.gif
) and initially wake up at about 0600. Peering outside, it's a bright morning, so I close the curtains and have another hour and a half.

Dragging myself out of bed, I shower and shave and then start packing the bike. It has rained overnight, but the sky is now high broken cloud and the temperature is in the high 60s F.

I set off at about 0930, heading into town initially to find some fuel, as I didn't pass anywhere yesterday afternoon. I fill up and then turn around and set off on the scenic coastal route to Dunedin, where I have booked a room this evening. This will not be a long day, so I am happy to divert as necessary en route...

IMG_1172-X3.jpg

Liquor stores, like the one I visited yesterday evening, seem to be wholly aimed at selling alcohol, rather than the more general store where you can buy food and other stuff that has become the typical model for the UK.

They say that New Zealand is like the UK 30-odd years ago. I don't actually subscribe to this idea, although, when did you last see a video rental shop?
tongue.gif

IMG_1173-X3.jpg

I'm soon out on good, well surfaced roads, with little traffic...

IMG_1176-X3.jpg

Perfect conditions to get nicked for speeding again
biggrin.gif
- so I keep a close eye on my speed...

IMG_1178-X3.jpg

There are sheep everywhere...

IMG_1179-X3.jpg

I reach the south coast - it reminds me of the north Norfolk coast, where we have similar wetlands and marshes...

IMG_1181-X3.jpg

I stop at a one-stop shop: café; information centre; filling station...

IMG_1182-X3.jpg

The "Big Breakfast" on the menu was not misleading...
DukeGirl.gif

After time to let my skin stretch a little, I kit back up and set off along the tourist loop which follows the coast more closely than the one Bettie has chosen. This new route will involve a few miles on gravel...

IMG_1186-X3.jpg

...but the road's well maintained, so doesn't slow me up much.

I turn right towards Wipapā Lighthouse...

IMG_1188-X3.jpg

...where a sign gives good advice on what to do if the ground wobbles, or the sea appears to be doing something unusual. Since the advice is to go to high ground - and there's none in sight - I guess we'll all drown if the worst happens...

IMG_1197-X3.jpg

It's a lovely spot, though...

IMG_1198-X3.jpg

Onward!

IMG_1202-X3.jpg

I'm soon back on gravel - wondering why this is a crash zone - there's nothing to suggest it might be...

IMG_1204-X3.jpg

The tide is low and there are mostly mudflats to my right...

IMG_1208-X3.jpg

The road follows the bay...

IMG_1210-X3.jpg

Eventually I rejoin the main Dunedin road and enter an area surrounded by tropical plants...

IMG_1214-X3.jpg

...which soon changes to a normal sweeping road through farming country - I could almost be in the Cotswolds...

IMG_1219-X3.jpg

The road meets the coast again and I stop to take the air at Tautuku Beach...

IMG_1224-X3.jpg

It is now a beautiful ride, through long sweeping bends, with the ocean to my right...

IMG_1230-X3.jpg

A bridge on the main road is out, so I follow the detour down some gravel roads...

IMG_1233-X3.jpg

The detour adds about 10 miles to the route...

IMG_1235-X3.jpg

...and deposits me back on the Dunedin road about four miles from the bridge...

IMG_1242-X3.jpg

It's clouding over a bit, but the temperature is still comfortable...

IMG_1246-X3.jpg

I decide to stop for a coffee and a sandwich in The Lumberjack Cafe...

IMG_1248-X3.jpg

It takes them over 15 minutes to produce a very ordinary sandwich and equally impressive coffee...
rolleyes.gif

Hey-ho.

IMG_1250-X3.jpg

When's the last time you saw one of these?

IMG_1252-X3.jpg

It's in shite order, but I can't remember when I last saw a MkIII Cortina on the road on the UK...

IMG_1253-X3.jpg

Judging by the cobwebs all over the grill, it doesn't seem like it's in daily use...

IMG_1254-X3.jpg

Teapotland. Nuff said...

IMG_1255-X3.jpg

I'm soon back on the open road - keeping my speed to a modest 104kph...

As I arrive in the pleasant little town of Balclutha...

IMG_1258-X3.jpg

...I spot this perfectly preserved old gent in the Ford showroom...

IMG_1260-X3.jpg

...I should think it's the manager's pride and joy...

IMG_1259-X3.jpg

I liked Balclutha - it was busy and had a great looking high street...

IMG_1262-X3.jpg

...and a fantastic bridge on the way out...
biggrin.gif

IMG_1263-X3.jpg

On the way in to Waihola, they are quite blunt...

IMG_1264-X3.jpg

...OK...

IMG_1266-X3.jpg

Well, that's jolly cheerful...
lol8.gif

IMG_1270-X3.jpg

His and her Impalas...
thumb2.gif

IMG_1271-X3.jpg

Back out on the main road, I pass this old estate - unfortunately I was unable to get a shot of the front - any guesses?

IMG_1275-X3.jpg

In no time, it seems, I am entering Dunedin...

IMG_1276-X3.jpg

...where I check in to my beautiful apartment...

IMG_1278-X3.jpg

...with complimentary milk and beer in the fridge...
thumb2.gif

A good day...

IMG_1244-X3.jpg

They say that New Zealand is like the UK 30-odd years ago
The roads look as busy there as they would do at 4:00am on a Sunday summers morning here.... perfect for riding :thumb2

Excellent write ups as usual Mike :thumb2

IMG_1271-X3.jpg

Back out on the main road, I pass this old estate - unfortunately I was unable to get a shot of the front - any guesses?

1960 - 1962 Plymouth Valiant in 'Kitchen Green'. A 'small' American car, designed to seat 6 passengers.:eek:

Interesting write up today Mike. Keep them coming. :clap:clap

IMG_1271-X3.jpg

1960 - 1962 Plymouth Valiant in 'Kitchen Green'. A 'small' American car, designed to seat 6 passengers.:eek:

Interesting write up today Mike. Keep them coming. :clap:clap

I think, from the rearlights, it's a 1966... ;)

Continue to enjoy it Mike... loving the pics, feeling the fresh air, :beerjug: stay safe, and avoid the speeding tickets. Good luck bud

Dunedin - I was there in 1976 when HMS Glamorgan docked there - I wonder if it has changed much over the last 40 years:D

12th February 2017

A great night's sleep - this is a lovely motel and I decide to extend my stay by another night. This is fine, but I'll need to move two rooms down the same floor - to a room with a jacuzzi...

IMG_1394-X3.jpg

Hey-ho.

I move my kit to the new room (which the girls are still cleaning) and dump most of the ret of the contents of my panniers there too, so I can tour 'lightweight'. It must be understood that 'lightweight' is a relative term - both for me and my bike...
biggrin.gif

I don't have a plan for the day. I have checked the forecast and it hints at getting wet after lunch, so I mooch around the town to begin with, getting the measure of the place.

I like Dunedin a lot. It has huge steep hills, lined with old Victorian houses - very much like San Francisco - and some great old buildings on its main streets...

IMG_1281-X3.jpg

My girlfriend had visited the Soames Museum yesterday - he was the architect for the Bank of England. So when I spot this lookalike, I take a picture - then realise it has been repurposed as a lap-dancing bar...
tongue.gif

IMG_1282-X3.jpg

Very ornate Victorian monument - but I preferred the penguin in a business suit nearby...

IMG_1283-X3.jpg

Phone boxes are becoming an anachronism these days...

IMG_1284-X3.jpg

...although they make these look attractive at least. In remote towns I have noticed that they have changed kiosks to be free internet points - which is a great idea...

IMG_1285-X3.jpg

I ride over the flyover towards the dockland area...

IMG_1286-X3.jpg

...which has masses of warehouses - all closed up on a Sunday...

IMG_1291-X3.jpg

Murals seem to be a common theme...

IMG_1295-X3.jpg

It's a beautiful, cool morning, with hardly a breath of wind...

IMG_1299-X3.jpg

I head out along the Otago Peninsula...

IMG_1303-X3.jpg

...which is just beautiful...

IMG_1304-X3.jpg

I should imagine that buying a Bach (pronounced Batch - New Zealand for cabin or holiday home) here would cost an arm and a leg...

IMG_1310-X3.jpg

...but would be worth it for the view - and for the peace and quiet...

IMG_1314-X3.jpg

...this sign...

IMG_1324-X3.jpg

...is wishful thinking - there are few penguins in residence at this time of year - and you'll likely only see them at dusk...

IMG_1327-X3.jpg

Eventually the headland comes into view...

IMG_1328-X3.jpg

I park up and walk down to the wooden decking overlooking the rocks below...

IMG_1333-X3.jpg

The surf roars in against the cliffs - long strands of kelp at their base...

IMG_1336-X3.jpg

It always makes me feel odd, seeing the sea like this. It's been doing this for a million years - and will be doing it long after everyone reading this is dust...

IMG_1358-X3.jpg

...and on that happy note - let's get a coffee...

IMG_1363-X3.jpg

Who do you reckon the words "Chinese' and 'Japanese' are for?

IMG_1368-X3.jpg

I reckon it was instructions written to the sign writer...
rolleyes.gif

IMG_1373-X3.jpg

So - breakfast!

IMG_1374-X3.jpg

They're clearly ready for me - but I make do with a salmon bagel and a coffee...
biggrin.gif

I then visit the display, which is excellent and very informative. I find the perfect gifts for friends and family in the gift shop, where I am served by the charming Mary - wearing a traditional Maori facial tattoo...

IMG_1376-X3.jpg

Sufficiently be-souvenired, I stroll back to the bike - to find there has been a major change in the weather in the hour I have been inside...

IMG_1379-X3.jpg

A cold onshore wind has blown up and the cloud cover is rolling in. We are clearly in for some rain...

IMG_1377-X3.jpg

I quickly kit up and then head back down the peninsula to try to stay ahead of the weather...

IMG_1381-X3.jpg

I spot this old tram, and what looks like a ticket office - hopefully being restored...

IMG_1383-X3.jpg

...although there seems to be a lot of work to do...

IMG_1386-X3.jpg

I'm still managing to stay ahead of the weather...

IMG_1387-X3.jpg

This nice mural is to commemorate local artist John Noakes (no - not the Blue Peter chap), who introduced the idea of painting murals on the bus shelters along the peninsula. This painting was by a chap called Daniel Mead - and is notable principally because it is the only good bit of mural art on any of the bus shelters...
tongue.gif

IMG_1390-X3.jpg

I get back off the peninsula and decide to head straight back to my hotel - there's nothing to be gained by staying out in the rain - plus I have cold beer in the fridge...

IMG_1297-X3.jpg

Dunedin - I was there in 1976 when HMS Glamorgan docked there - I wonder if it has changed much over the last 40 years:D

Thankfully, the Internet arrived (although as recently as 2000 it was still at 28.8kb dial-up speed!)....no more dependency upon the BBC World Service for any news of the outside word - although still my first point on the dial each morning for 'substantial' news. - Oh, and FedEx arrived, too!! Spare parts now available at realistic prices!

Thankfully, the Internet arrived (although as recently as 2000 it was still at 28.8kb dial-up speed!)....no more dependency upon the BBC World Service for any news of the outside word - although still my first point on the dial each morning for 'substantial' news. - Oh, and FedEx arrived, too!! Spare parts now available at realistic prices!

Sounds Idyllic :cool:

More

The terrain looks almost Irish! Keep it going Mike. Feck the food,more cars and waitresses!!

Chinese and Japanese on the signs

Loads of Chinese in particular out there touring they are a major source of income
Keep a weather eye for them on the wrong side of the road in their hired motor homes
Watching penguins coming in at Otago last year the Chinese had an in house interpreter such are their numbers

Bach's are in the North Island.
In the Mainland they are called Cribs.
The car looked like a Chrysler Valiant Wagon which was built in Australia and New Zealand. Very similar to the Plymouth version
And Lord Snooty I doubt Dunedin has changed much since 76, we did some scenes for the film Jude down there back in the late 90's and a WW2 film that was based in Wellington but Dunedin has the old buildings that Wellington doesn't.

Adrian

You two have just reminded me how superb Mike O's Inspection Ride Report was :thumby:

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom