map update 2017.2 too large for device

twig

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
hi, having issues updating my 660lm to the latest 2017.2 maps.
never had any problems in the past updating but this time garmin express has come up with a message

"map update is too large to fit on your device, to continue select a region"

at this point I thought, ok , as I only have a 4GB sd card installed I will replace it with a brand new 16GB card as I want full coverage of Europe on my zumo.
I have now done this and the message above still appears when I try to update maps again.

I contacted garmin on there chat support service and they suggested I format new card which I have done, still too large message appears.
I recontacted there chat support and reply was to call them. before I call them next week I was hoping someone might have had this problem and be able to help me.

my feeling is the new card is not being seen by garmin express although I can see it on "my computer" when connected to zumo.
I have successfully updated my laptop to latest maps of full coverage of Europe.
I have also copied all old maps/files from old card to new one and when installed the card works fine.

have tried using map updater as my thoughts were to download maps from my laptop but that just directs me to garmin web site and I don't know any other way of transferring them.

thanks

Somebody on the site had a problem caused by using a cheap (possibly fake) SD card. Try another decent one, straight out of the packet and report back, please. If nothing else, it's an easy place to start.

Somebody on the site had a problem caused by using a cheap (possibly fake) SD card. Try another decent one, straight out of the packet and report back, please. If nothing else, it's an easy place to start.

that's interesting, the card is a brand new sandisk ultra straight from the packet, but admittingly I did purchase it from an online internet shop.
will pop up town now and buy another
thanks

The other thing to ensure is that whatever you have removed from the SD card really has been deleted and the space cleared. On my Mac, a ghost of what was there sometimes remains, requiring the card to be scrubbed again.

bought a brand new sandisk ultra 16GB card from currys and unfortunately I am still getting the same message
"map update too large to fit on your device".
the zumo works fine but just cant update.
cant think of anything else to try other than call garmin next week
thanks

Are you sure it's trying to put the map onto the card, not into the device itself?

Are you sure it's trying to put the map onto the card, not into the device itself?

that's my immediate thought - the 660 does not have enough internal memory for the full Europe dataset.

pretty sure there's a setting in Garmin Express when you start the process to toggle between SD card & internal memory - I've sold my 660 so can't check.

Start off by deleting Garmin express off your PC. Download the latest version of it, and then check you have correctly formatted the SD card. My 660 is a bit tempremental over reading cards so this may be part of the problem but to load a full set of European maps needs a readable card. Double check you are trying to load it onto the card.

that's exactly what my gut feeling is but I didn't know you could control where garmin express puts the maps in the zumo

when the zumo is plugged into laptop the internal memory named garmin zumo (f drive) shows 856mb free of 3.65GB

old SD card (g drive) shows 212mb free of 3.68GB

when new sd card is installed (g drive) shows 16GB free of 16GB

map update is around 5.5 GB so obviously wont fit on old card but should easily go on new one, but as you chaps say it just isn't seeing this and possibly trying to put on internal memory

if anyone knows if I need to alter settings in garmin express, advice would be appreciated
thanks

Start off by deleting Garmin express off your PC. Download the latest version of it, and then check you have correctly formatted the SD card. My 660 is a bit tempremental over reading cards so this may be part of the problem but to load a full set of European maps needs a readable card. Double check you are trying to load it onto the card.

thanks, have downloaded the latest express a few times now, but tbh not sure how you ensure its being loaded onto card

is it possible to remove earlier maps from the garmin device internal memory

thank you very much to everyone who has helped me.
updated maps are now sitting nicely on my larger SD card in my zumo..

I downloaded mapinstall software from garmin using wapping's link
there is a dropdown box when the software is initially opened where you can select either the zumo's internal memory or the SD card as the destination for the maps.
I then just simply drew a box around all the maps on the screen and away they went to the SD card.

ime also sure that scotboxer's method would have worked as well

again, thanks
:thumb2

can you not put the card into a usb card reader and try sending the maps to it from basecamp or mapsource, providing you have them installed on the pc.

to late it seems.

Phew!

Well done for being patient.

The links and video I found by asking Google for: 'Installing maps to sd card garmin' and then surfing around a little. Glad it all worked out.

Hello All:

Apropos of this 'problem' of the 660's internal memory being too small to hold the complete (Nordkapp to Gibraltar, Iceland to White Russia) current version of City Navigator Europe:

May I suggest that rather than loading everything onto a SD card and running off that, you will get much faster performance from the 660 if you just do a 'regional' load into the device's internal memory. By faster performance, I mean faster boot-up, way faster map redraw, and voice prompts for course changes will begin a few seconds earlier than they will when running off a SD card.

You can do a regional load into your internal memory using Garmin Express. The procedure is as follows:

1) Remove the SD card from the slot in your 660 and set it off to one side.

2) Connect the 660 to your computer, start Garmin Express, and select either 'update maps' (if appropriate) or 'reinstall maps'. If you have been using a SD card in the past, chances are that the maps present in your device's memory are from the era when everything would fit into the internal memory - back when the world was still flat. So don't be surprised if you get offered a map update first time you connect to Garmin Express after having removed the SD card.

3) Garmin Express will tell you that the complete mapset (e.g. 2018.10) won't fit into your device, and you will be offered a choice of loading a 'region'. By default, you will be offered the region corresponding with the last known position of the device, but you can select any region you want.

4) Let the download proceed. Garmin Express will notify you when it is done.

What you will now have is one region (hopefully the one that you spend 99% of your time riding in) loaded into INTERNAL memory.

What about your SD card? Well, if you want to have your cake and eat it too, put the SD card into the 660, go to Garmin Express, then download the entire friggin' European mapset onto the SD card. But - and this is the important party - after you have done this, remove the SD card from the slot and tape it to the inside of the battery door using a wee bit of Scotch transparent tape (it won't hurt the SD card). Why do this? Because you want the device to run off the maps that are loaded into the internal memory, not the maps on the SD card.

By removing the SD card and taping it to the inside of the battery door, you get the best of both worlds. 99% of the time, when you are in your home region (e.g. the UK), the device will operate at peak speed and efficiency, because it will be running off internal memory and not handicapped by having to read from the SD card. But, just in case a tornado picks you and your bike up one day and deposits you in Greece or the Balearic Islands or French Guyana, you still have that cartography available - after you sober up, just open the battery door, stuff the SD card into the slot, and turn the device on. Voila - full coverage at your disposal, albeit with slightly slower operational speeds.

Regards,

Michael

When the 660 became too small to fit all of the maps on, I started to divvy up the coverages and put some on the device and some on the SD card. I figure that SD cards regularly fail so if all of the mapping is on there, this could give you a problem. I can manage to get all of UK/Ireland and Western Europe on the device, and then Eastern Europe/Scandanavia on a small memory card as required. It does require a bit of faffing each time a new update is released to select the correct coverages, but it gives me the best of both worlds I think.

Back
Top Bottom