1 to 1 rider skills recommendations?

Nin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks

So I hit the big 50 this year, which makes it 43 years since I first rode a motorcycle. Over that time no doubt I've picked up a load of bad habits, maybe some good as well.

I'm intending to invest in a few days to get some help reminding myself what I should be doing, and refreshing or improving my riding skills. While it would be great to do that with an organisation like IAM, I just don't usually have the time in a week to give to their approach - I'd rather do a short intensive refresh then see how we go.

So do you guys have any recommendations for someone who could do a long weekend of either 121 or small group refresher or improvement coaching? I'm happy to travel pretty much anywhere in the U.K, and frankly would rather do this in early spring when the weather is a bit rubbish and conditions a bit challenging.

Alternatively you could read this as "now I've got a policeman's bike, I need to be trained how to ride like one".

Amongst the undoubted piss-taking that commences, some genuine recommendations would be welcome.

Cheers aye

Nin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Where are you based pal? Pm me and we,ll chat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giles is in Kent, and he may offer his services for a small fee (bottle of gin :D).

Many years ago,

I did a driving skills course with plod.

The end of the course finished with an assessed drive with ROSPA,

Don't know if there still going, or cover bikes, but may be an alternative

Mart

Nin,
Thanks for asking the question and others, thanks for the leads....I received my m/cycle licence along with my 'Grade III" certification as a young constable with West Midlands police....and it's well time to take another skills review/upgrade so I'll also be contacting Paul (he must have started as a Cadet if he's done 33 years on the job and still looks so young....). :clap

Thanks chaps, some excellent suggestions in there. I've also been guided towards Rapid training. And who is this Giles fellow you speak of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks chaps, some excellent suggestions in there. I've also been guided towards Rapid training. And who is this Giles fellow you speak of?

He is the ktm loving crap photographer on here, I believe he does training for the rapid bods as well.

I did a day 1 to 1 with Mark Edwards at Rapid Training about 9 months ago. I'd have no issue with recommending him - I think he's also nearer you too.

Thanks again fellas. I've booked with Mark at Rapid - nice and close to me. I shall report back, if I'm spared.

I've booked with Mark at Rapid - nice and close to me. I shall report back, if I'm spared.

How did your day with Mark go?

Following my day with Mark and his encouragement I joined the local RoSPA group and carried on with my training. Had my test yesterday and passed with a Gold grade.

Hard work, but for me well worth it.

Even harder work for my tutor - and the patience of a saint.

I went down the Rospa route with my local group.

Saturday morning sessions and then ready to take the exam.

I did it for exactly the same reasons and have to say that I am far more confident and a much better rider these days (hopefully) !

My day out with Mark at Rapid was excellent. With one other rider, we were hooning around the lanes of Buckinghamshire. Mark is a really good coach, and to the point which suits me fine. After the first 20 mins observed ride, he quickly got to the two points on my riding - choice of gear and overtaking, and spent the rest of the day practising.

My problem going into the day was I'm basically a lazy rider, using high gears, lots of torque, and waiting for things to happen. I came out of the day bossing the bike and the road, planning further ahead and taking much more active control.

The other big change was I realized I don't need a big torquey bike like the Pan European, I'd be much better off with a lighter, higher bike, so the Pan will be up for sale very soon.

A great day, best value for money I've had in ages and I can't recommend it enough.

Glad you had a good time ... Mark is a good mate and a nice bloke. :thumb2

Cheers Giles - yep, I agree. He's completely changed the way I use my bike. Out with the big heavy torque monster, in with a smaller, lighter, more agile number. I find myself drawn to the 1050 Adventure now, something I'd never have considered before.

I had the joy of spending the day with Giles (Rapid) recently and would absolutely recommend him and Rapid for a session of well structured riding and feedback. Great assessment style and plenty of laughs through the day but most importantly I walked away with a pocket full of new tricks. (Wedge of cheese and pendulum Giles :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom