Rear LED brake light

B Murr

Reaction score
Whats the latest on this issue. Some threads already on the forum but all seem to focus on one off designs made by folks on the site and haven't had post for a number of years. Is it the case that the generic LED brake bulb ( CREE type I think?) found on ebay and elsewhere can be just inserted in place of stock bulb ?

Just had a wander through a new SuperCheap Auto parts store, nothing super and very little cheap . but they did have Phillips branded LED stop / tail light globes for $56-, which is about ten pints in English money!
Emerald Isle tend to let their first customers do their product testing for them, so if their tail light is a new product I would hold off until the testing is complete!

After my rear brake light switch stuck on and the bulb then melted the rear light innards, I fitted the led matrix replcement frpm motorworks (no doubt the Emerald Isle part) - well made, bright, reliable no problems at all. Recommended.

Both their Paralever driveshafts and their bean can replacement ignition systems failed first up.
Emerald Isle are standing behind both the products, but the problems should have been sorted out before they put them on the market.
And, with respect, when you buy a LED powered component you pay for the fact that it is supposed to have a long life, 20,000 hrs is sometimes claimed, so the fact that it has come on and lasted a few months is nice to know,
but no guarantee it will last the claimed life - neither the shaft of the ignition lasted long.http://www.ukgser.com/forums/newreply.php?p=4625639&noquote=1

As you may have guessed, I bought a para driveshaft--------------.

Not new. If you followed the link you'd find the instal link was posted 2013. No issues. I'd also suggest low financial risk.

I have their twin plug ignition installed, & will buy the paralever driveshaft once I become a bit more paranoid about this one.

With respect, I believe EI has stood behind their products. I am very happy that they are out there offering replacement product that is functionally much better than what BMW is prepared to offer.

If you had bought one of the original driveshafts and it failed 400 km from anywhere, had a $800- towing and accommodation bill, a holiday ruined, had to pay $100 postage on the shaft back to your supplier, been without your bike for five months and only received a replacement shaft in compensation you might think different.
Then the process was repeated with the ignitions, so there were probably a few who suffered the same before they were sorted out.
I am glad that you bought yours after things were sorted out and are happy with them, but I cant see how that negates the problems that I and a good few others had with the items that were put on the marked before they were tested and the problems sorted out - and that was all I said , I didn't say that the items currently on sale were not up to standard, I just gave a few words of warning about anything new they might bring out , based on the undisputed things that have happened previously.

Just had a wander through a new SuperCheap Auto parts store, nothing super and very little cheap . but they did have Phillips branded LED stop / tail light globes for $56-, which is about ten pints in English money!
Emerald Isle tend to let their first customers do their product testing for them, so if their tail light is a new product I would hold off until the testing is complete!

I fitted mine on my R90/6 about 2 years ago and after approx 10k miles it's still working fine and provides a much brighter light than OEM. A very worthwhile improvement.
P.S. The 450w alternator and Nippon Denso starter from Emerald Isle are also working fine.

I fitted mine on my R90/6 about 2 years ago and after approx 10k miles it's still working fine and provides a much brighter light than OEM. A very worthwhile improvement.
P.S. The 450w alternator and Nippon Denso starter from Emerald Isle are also working fine.

Who supplies those, in UK/Europe.

If you had bought one of the original driveshafts and it failed 400 km from anywhere, had a $800- towing and accommodation bill, a holiday ruined, had to pay $100 postage on the shaft back to your supplier, been without your bike for five months and only received a replacement shaft in compensation you might think different.
Then the process was repeated with the ignitions, so there were probably a few who suffered the same before they were sorted out.
I am glad that you bought yours after things were sorted out and are happy with them, but I cant see how that negates the problems that I and a good few others had with the items that were put on the marked before they were tested and the problems sorted out - and that was all I said , I didn't say that the items currently on sale were not up to standard, I just gave a few words of warning about anything new they might bring out , based on the undisputed things that have happened previously.
Ah, okay, understand where you are coming from now. Didn't have the history before.

I tried a cheap eBay replacement led bulb in my R100GS - the vibes reduced it to its component parts in a few weeks. One of those occasions when it's worth buying the proper part.

I was waiting until Phillips or some other reputable company brought them out.
But now they have,and priced them at $56- I will probably wait a little longer.
FWIW I have had a couple of budget priced LED items, indicators and Tactical torch fail PDQ, so Jon 1's experience is not unique.
Not all lost with the torch, as it came in a little foam lined case which is great as a tool and storage box and stops everything from rattling about in the bottom of the top box or tank bag - pity you cant buy them empty!

I got one from Mat at Boxer Toko in Holland and it's da Bollix
It's super bright and easy to install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got one from Mat at Boxer Toko in Holland and it's da Bollix
It's super bright and easy to install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I click their link to webshop I get redirected to bmwboxersupplies. Are they the same thing?

Back
Top Bottom