Would The UK Be A Cheaper Weeks Tour Than Northern Europe?

Simon W, You really class those trips as work, If only.:D:beerjug::green gri

Non-work trips are eight or nine hours in the saddle, no U-turns, enjoying myself at my own pace; work trips as 12-hour days, a million U-turns, being bossed about by a man with a camera! Honest!

If you go to France the cheapest way is to camp - eating out all the time is expensive, if that's not for you then my tips are:

1 - Stay inland, the coast is expensive - have a look at the map and find a nice hilly area with a river or lake, there will be swimming.

2 - If you eat in a restaurant try to make it at lunchtime it's much cheaper than in the evening - every town will have a lunchtime cafe, look for a few vans parked close together. They'll be a 3 course lunch - often no choice but don't worry the food will be delicious. Often you won't need a big meal in the evening and you can just make up a small picnic - it will be warm and at that time of year you have long, long days :D

3 - There are lots of tourist offices around - at around 4-5pm arrive in a decent size town and head for the TO. Tell them that you want some cheap but nice accomodation for the night. There will be people registered with the TO for accomodation but not strickly official B&Bs. We have done this loads of times and you get to stay in ordinary French peoples houses - their son has gone off to university so they let out his room occasionally, older ladies or men, now living alone, want a bit of company and extra money.....that kind of thing, but beware they will usually speak no English but there's fun in that too.

4 - France closes between 12-2pm (except the little restaurant ;)) - you have been told :D

5 - At that time of year I would head south and east of the Loire for better weather - try Burgundy or Beaujolais :beer:

6 - as everybody has already said GO ABROAD, you won't even think about that few hundred quid extra on the credit card.

Whatever you decide - have a nice holiday :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom