Would The UK Be A Cheaper Weeks Tour Than Northern Europe?

crotchrocket

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My wife and I are due to go to Europe for a week in the summer on the GSA, however due to other holidays / expenses the holiday budget has diminished. Would it realistically be a decent saving to tour up to and around Scotland perhaps via a night or two in Wales? I haven't toured in Europe only the UK and Ireland. Our basic plan so far was to head through Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and Denmark. If we can prolong the journey to 10 days i'd like to go across to southern Sweden. But on a like for like board basis (obviously I would have the additional cost of a ferry to France) would the UK be cheaper on a day to day basis (Fuel, Food, Accommodation). My other concern is the Scotland weather. We penciled in the 12th June at the moment.

Hi

i would say hotels or BnBs (which are generamlly better value and nicer) will be cheaper in europe, at least in France, Belgium and Germany

Petrol is maybe a little cheaper too, food probably not much difference price wise

You won't need to cross the Channel, so you'll save that cost for starters

Petrol is the same or dearer in Europe, especially in Belgium/France and Holland

Euro is not as good as last year, but may improve and give you more VFM

Good accommodation - vis a vis can be cheaper than UK and certainly better VFM

Food is much the same, but generally better quality in Europe for a cheaper price

Have you considered Spain.
The ferry from UK to Bilbao or Santander is an option that can work out the same
as touring through France taking into account fuel and accomodation costs.
Once in Spain your pound goes further than some of the other European countries and certainly further than the UK.
Fantastic roads and a far better chance of good weather.

On balance and especially due to where you live I would say Europe. Ferry crossing very cheap and even Euro tunnel reasonable. Long crossing to Santander expensive by comparison and would only suggest best bet if you wish to go to northern Spain as it saves a long ride, fuel and accommodation if you were to ride. As you've not done Europe before then why not go for it ? As you are limited to one week only suggest France of Germany where to go depends on what you want to achieve. Good roads can be found easily within a days ride so consider what else you and partner wish to see. All in all I don't think the UK will be a saving.

We're off to the Czech Republic for a fortnight in the hope it will be a bit cheaper. On average I find accommodation more expensive in the UK although Welsh Wales can be very reasonable.

Definitely go for Europe - it will feel much more like a holiday than staying in the UK. Plan ahead and book modest accommodation and you'll be surprised how far your budget will go. And leave the hassle of UK traffic behind which is a huge bonus.

Whatever you choose. - Enjoy :beerjug:

Just to give you an idea, I organise a European trip every year, between 4 & 10 of us, 8 days, 7 nights, all ferry/train, fuel, hotels, food, booze, tolls have never been more than £850 each based on sharing rooms. We always stay in the best hotels we can find and eat in the best restaurants we can find. 2015 was £550, the cheapest so far.

This year is northern Spain, ferry booked, all hotels booked, so far looking to come in around £850 each.

Yes Just do it while you can without worrying about visas and other obstacles the Frenchies put our way after brexit. As you have not done it before it will feel much more of a holiday than staying here and the cheap ferry crossings are on your doorstep. Don't fall into the trap of doing too many miles per day as it is so easy to plan just that when looking at the maps and beware of speed limits as the days of 3 figure speeds in the countryside are long gone, at least they are in my experience. Get some guides and play on the web and you can spend the next few months planning your trip , and that can be half the fun

Thanks everyone some really interesting points. Hadn't thought about it being trickier in the Future post Brexit. Will have a proper read through and chat with the Wife this evening :thumb2

Thanks everyone some really interesting points. Hadn't thought about it being trickier in the Future post Brexit. Will have a proper read through and chat with the Wife this evening :thumb2

Indeed. After Brexit one will be required to show one's passport at the border.

Hi

i would say hotels or BnBs (which are generamlly better value and nicer) will be cheaper in europe, at least in France, Belgium and Germany

Petrol is maybe a little cheaper too, food probably not much difference price wise

With the current exchange rate ?

My wife and I are due to go to Europe for a week in the summer on the GSA, however due to other holidays / expenses the holiday budget has diminished. Would it realistically be a decent saving to tour up to and around Scotland perhaps via a night or two in Wales? I haven't toured in Europe only the UK and Ireland. Our basic plan so far was to head through Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and Denmark. If we can prolong the journey to 10 days i'd like to go across to southern Sweden. But on a like for like board basis (obviously I would have the additional cost of a ferry to France) would the UK be cheaper on a day to day basis (Fuel, Food, Accommodation). My other concern is the Scotland weather. We penciled in the 12th June at the moment.

Count your ride down to the ferry or tunnel as touring GB , and get yer ass into Europe. You wont regret it. OH,and enjoy.:beerjug:

You can have as cheap a time in Europe as the UK if you're prepared to plan carefully. You may need to stay in cheap chain hotels, though booking early will generally get the best deals from nicer places - and booking direct, rather than through a third-party website like Booking.com, will normally get the best price of all (especially if you're prepared to phone up and ask if they do a biker's discount - some places will, though not the chain hotels, and never by email - only on the blower).

As I claim for lunch when I'm working (which last year included more than 20 days in France) I can assure you that lunch on the road over there always costs the same as lunch on the road in the UK; there's a pound either way in it and often my French cheapy lunches are a bit more expensive – mostly because soft drinks are notably and oddly pricey in France. To keep costs down your best bet is to stock up with lunch-type stuff at supermarkets or bakers (remembering that in France the shops shut at lunchtime: get your supplies at 11am). Evening meals are usually more reasonable than eating out in the UK, but it is still quite easy to wander into a posh restaurant that's more expensive than eating in a nice British pub - check the menus before going in. Petrol will be a similar price, but you're likely to do more miles so - overall - you'll spend more on fuel (and if you need to use motorways to cover distance in a hurry, you may also have tolls to pay). Plus you'll have to pay for your crossing to get there.

On top of which, of course, the exchange rate means your money won't go so far as it used to. This thread made me go back to my expenses and do a few sums: if I was to redo any of my pre-Brexit-vote trips at today's exchange rate, they'd be 15-20% more expensive. Which makes me realise that this year I'll have to go back to camping, rather than staying in hotels, when I go to France on my not-work trip to the Alps.

My rough league table of most-expensive-countries-to-visit runs: Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Italy, Posh France, Holland, Belgium, the rest of France, Spain, Portugal. I split France between the posh bits (the Riviera, cities, tourist traps, etc) and the rest, because there can be a massive difference in prices between the charming, catering-for-locals villages of the Auvergne or the Limousin and the prices you'll pay for anything in Biarritz or Cannes or a Loire chateau. And even the affordable bits of France are way more expensive than Spain.

But. It is still definitely worth going to Europe. Absolutely. It's amazing. It'll feel much more like an adventure, somewhere fresh and fun and exciting.

Just plan carefully, book wisely, avoid the quaint tourist cafes where it's 1 euro for a croissant and 2.7 euro for a coke... and just enjoy yourself. It'll be amazing.

ETA: The actual question was: will there be a decent saving? Answer: probably not. You can probably do a decent UK tour for £10-£15 per head per day less, which does add up over the course of a week to being £150 or more for the two of you. But the holiday you can have in Europe is going to be way more than £150 better!

Others have said to contact the hotel directly to get the best price and I can't argue with that.

However, I'm a great fan of Booking.com - they offer a very convenient way of finding hotels in any area you want to visit - and in the majority of cases it is possible to book rooms without paying at the time. Also, most offer the option to cancel up until the day you're due to arrive - great flexibility for touring, especially if you hit bad weather and decide to head for the sun.

I haven't tested extensively but I've not found any prices cheaper than those offered by booking.com. Another advantage is that it can be accessed via a tablet or via a phone app.

Recommended!

Others have said to contact the hotel directly to get the best price and I can't argue with that.

However, I'm a great fan of Booking.com - they offer a very convenient way of finding hotels in any area you want to visit - and in the majority of cases it is possible to book rooms without paying at the time. Also, most offer the option to cancel up until the day you're due to arrive - great flexibility for touring, especially if you hit bad weather and decide to head for the sun.

I haven't tested extensively but I've not found any prices cheaper than those offered by booking.com. Another advantage is that it can be accessed via a tablet or via a phone app.

Recommended!

+1 for Booking.com, we use them most of the time

Good info and reviews usually on tripadvisor.com as well

Back
Top Bottom