Tyres

DevonAl

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
:hide. Tyre question, I know!! Recent convert to the GS, bike has original Tourances fitted at present but was wondering if anybody runs Bridgestones, have used 020, 021 & 023's on my 1100s for the last 10 years, so as the farthest I will go off road is to my garage I was thinking about fitting pure road rubber. Have had no issues on the 1100 but appreciate the 1200 is a bit different.
Have read a lot of the tyre threads and as usual most people think what they have fitted are the best but thought I would risk asking anyway.:blush
Al.

For road use Pilot Road 4 Trails will do fine, if I wasn't concerned about milage I would run Angel GTs.

I'm running Tourances because they came with the Bike.
I'm happy with them but I have a pair of PR4T's waiting in the Wings as I picked them up at a very good Price.

All the magazines seem to raving about the new Metzler Roadtec 01 for pure road use. If I get tempted to put a road only tyre on, it will either be these new Metzlers or a set of Pirelli Angel GT

Finding 100% road rubber in 19" isn't so easy. But the Conti Trail Attack is trail in name only and Michelin do the PR3/4.
I had Bridgestone's trail a free years ago - wasn't impressed.

Sent somehow.

The BT 023 comes in a 19" that's why I asked the question as they were fine on the 1100 and easily outperformed me!!

Al.

Avon Trailrider's, I've had just about everything on my past 4 GS's and the Avon's are a really nice tyre and seem to be wearing well. Mind you, unlike a lot on here I also liked the Anakee 3's, but the best so far for me were the Anakee II's.

The BT 023 comes in a 19" that's why I asked the question as they were fine on the 1100 and easily outperformed me!!

Al.

Both bikes have a no dive front end and anti jack back end so you may as well stick with the tyres you like best.

Sent somehow.

I'm liking the Dunlop Roadsmarts I have on mine. They suit me better than the PR3s I had on previously, it feels like the bike just lost 20kg.

I'm liking the Dunlop Roadsmarts I have on mine. They suit me better than the PR3s I had on previously, it feels like the bike just lost 20kg.

I had that feeling with Conti TKC-70, but they wear pretty rapidly and are quite noisy. But they really grip and handle gravel strewn lanes extremely well. However the tread blocks move about at speed so the bike hasn't go the same planted feel as it does with road tyres. Tread life is poor but not a surprise with so many gaps.

I too use roadsmarts.. Take an extra mile to warm up over the pilots but as good, and last 35% longer

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Any one fitted a set of Metzeler Roadtec 01 yet? Due for a set and PR3 been ok just thinking of a change.

Any one fitted a set of Metzeler Roadtec 01 yet? Due for a set and PR3 been ok just thinking of a change.

Love them on my FJR - makes the old girl feel quite sporty; front end grip far better in the turns than 023s. Said to be good for around 8k, if the front doesn't cup. Time will tell.

Not sure how that might translate to a GS. I suspect the front profle may make the bike feel unstable. Most everyone I talk to rates the PR4s for road work, with a few preferring the CA.

I had 2 sets on the XR and now have them on the Hypermotard

IMO they are superb for grip both dry and wet and give decent life

I was getting over 4K on a rear on the XR

My mate also runs them on his Superduke R with similar success

If they do the right size you cant go wrong with them

There seems to be many available, all with their fans.

Do a comparison on price of:

Roadtec-01
Roadsmarts
Conti attack 3
Pilot Road 4

You may find over £30 a pair difference in price. They all get good reviews in practice - so on a bike like the GS........... Get the cheapest of the choices?

Al

I'm in a similar situation..

Karoo 3's need to come off, the desert like terrain of W Sussex, dosent suit them lol

Looking at Bridgestone A40 or Avon Trail riders ---

Cant get my head round Anakee 3's or similar - slicks with token tread???

Give the Avons a try........ I'd be surprised if they disappoint you.

They can also handle a bit of loose surface.

Sent from a OnePlusX.

Ive just got about 5000 miles out of a rear Conti Trail Attack 2. It would have been better but I'm doing a lot of motorways and duals these days.

The front looks about 1/2 worn though probably more than that in reality. There is minimal chamfering on the tread blocks. I have a Maxxis ProMaxx rear to replace the used Conti. It's a sports tyre so won't last long but at £55 from TyreLeader I'm not arguing.

I found sport touring rubber to be the best for road use in my R1150GS & Super Tenere. Over the last few years I have had a Tracer & now a R1200RS. This has given me the chance to test Dunlop Roadsmart 2, Avon Storm 2 Ultra, Michelin PR3/4 and most recently Metzeler Z8.
All I can say is that modern tyres are fantastic and the difference is minimal. Most people fall out of love with a tyre when it is not the tyre's fault - either the tyre is poorly inflated, has a worn profile from too many motorway miles, rider's over exuberance or the road surface was not optimum.
I found the Avon Storms to be priced about 30% less than PR4 so will be trying them on the RS next if the price differential is the same. They wear well and had excellent grip over 2 sets on the Tracer.
I also have a Tiger Explorer currently on Tourance Next - that will go on sport touring rubber when the Tourance are worn out.

Back
Top Bottom