Cam chain tensioner upgrade

Bryn

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Having just got my new 2001 1150, there's not a great deal of noise on start up from the cam chain tensioner.... it's on 47000 miles and has been looked after well....

A couple of questions:

Is the cam chain tensioner upgrade worth the while? ( never done it with the other 3 or 4 I've owned )

And if so according to the motor works site I seem to need 3 bits to do the job

ENA 56922 Camchain piston
ENA 88629 Camchain Tensioner
ENA 63308 Washer

I understand the new kit has a 15mm nut, and if its original its a 17mm nut .... I've sussed the one fitted is 17mm

Advice welcomed :thumb

what is it about 1150's that inspire the need to fix what is not broken? Best of luck and happy miles with the new steed!

Melons (the sort you eat) are good at combating OCD...... just saying like ;)

I've thought about doing this on my 1150 many times. I can't decide whether to do it or not. :blast My bike is quiet on start up but there's a known problem with the original part wearing. So, do you do it before it becomes a problem or not? :nenau
Think I'm gonna do mine. Prevention rather than cure I guess? :rolleyes:

I'll fight the OCD ( although I've got CDO) :D

Looks like an easy project if it starts to get rattly...the original tensioner bolt is 17mm, the upgrade is 15mm.....so I believe. The bolt on mine is 17mm hence my belief its not been done ;)

I did mine and it made no difference at all! Guess it did not need fixing:D

Well, it's cheap and easy to do, so why not get it done...sorted..got mine lying here for some time and will put it in now

iv done it on both my 1150 gs worth the money even if there know noise. you dont want the cam rail to snap on fuck the lot up worth 60 quid in my book

If you decide to go ahead with the new tensioner, make sure the piston actually fits the sleeve before fitting to the bike.

I updated mine last year and the piston needed rubbing with fine wet and dry paper
before it would fit.

Back
Top Bottom