Slovenia, Croatia and B&H

Jockser

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In August myself & a friend are going to the Austrian MotoGP. Afterwards we have a week to get to Munich and want to head south, maybe to Sarajevo or Dubrovnik before turning around.
I'm looking for recommendations of places to visit - car / bike museums and particularly WW2 / Cold War sites. Twisty / scenic roads would also be of interest.

Lake Bled & Mangart in Slovenia have been done, Vrsic Pass is already on the agenda

What (else) have ya got ?

Passo di Predil from Italy over to Bovec then 203 down through the Soca valley all the way to Postojna which has excellent limestone caves and a nice castle. You could spend a week just in this corner of Slovenia in the Julian Alps.

Plitvice National Park in Croatia. Pula on the Istrian coast.

Excellent wessie, that's the sort of thing. Limestone caves & a castle sound good. Plitvice is already waypointed but it's good to have it confirmed :thumb

Ain't that always the problem, too many roads & too little time :rolleyes:

Istrian coast (Porec, Pula and Rovinj) are excellent spots. Roman, Venetian and Austrian influence. Loads of places to stop and relatively cheap by modern european standards. Loved Dubrovnik too, but its a long way south and much of it seemed to be on a single coastal road that was busy as a busy thing (I was on a bus and had partaken of refreshment before the journey).

I'm fairly sure though that you spend several days in that part of the world riding around at random and still have a great trip.

Kelly's Heroes was filmed in Istria - so that'll cure the negative waves anyway.

Sounds great......... any room left on the wagon???

Sent from a OnePlusX

Istrian coast (Porec, Pula and Rovinj) are excellent spots. Roman, Venetian and Austrian influence. Loads of places to stop and relatively cheap by modern european standards. Loved Dubrovnik too, but its a long way south and much of it seemed to be on a single coastal road that was busy as a busy thing (I was on a bus and had partaken of refreshment before the journey).

I'm fairly sure though that you spend several days in that part of the world riding around at random and still have a great trip.

Kelly's Heroes was filmed in Istria - so that'll cure the negative waves anyway.

Thanks Ricardo, all good info. At some point I'm gonna have to rule stuff out (due to time or distance) but for the moment all ideas are appreciated

Sounds great......... any room left on the wagon???
I'll drop you a PM later, just gotta get something finished b4 half five :rolleyes:

Mostar's great.

No cold war stuff, mind. But it is to the Bosnian war as Ypres is to WW1. Definitely worth a visit, and the road down from Banja Luka is a corker.

Mostar's great.

No cold war stuff, mind. But it is to the Bosnian war as Ypres is to WW1. Definitely worth a visit, and the road down from Banja Luka is a corker.

Thanks ogden :thumb

Looks like a road the XR might be happy on alright :bounce1

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...-Betten-books-French-Alps-Slovenia-amp-Istria

http://www.slovenian-alps.com/en/what-to-do/activities/summer/motorcycling

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...e-touring-maps-Free-download-PDF-s-into-iBook

Google: WW2 balkans book. There are a couple of them. Whilst certainly bloody, it wasn't a major theatre of the war. Churchill did actively support the partisan effort with airdrops, not least as he favoured a continuation of the drive up through Italy, coupled to an allied drive through the Balkans, as an alternative to a seaborne invasion of Northern Europe. He lost out to the planners of D-day and its sister invasion via the French Mediterranean coast.

Thanks ogden :thumb

Cheers Richard :thumb I missed your post in the first link. I'll now take myself off to a darkened room & punish myself severely :whip

Google: WW2 balkans book. There are a couple of them. Whilst certainly bloody, it wasn't a major theatre of the war. Churchill did actively support the partisan effort with airdrops, not least as he favoured a continuation of the drive up through Italy, coupled to an allied drive through the Balkans, as an alternative to a seaborne invasion of Northern Europe. He lost out to the planners of D-day and its sister invasion via the French Mediterranean coast.

Aye, there's loads of books about the war. And probably plenty with the info I want ("there's a good museum here" or "there's a former base here") but I ain't found them yet. Plus I'd prefer recommendations to avoid wasting too much time viewing cr@p. Yes, I know we're all different & have different likes / dislikes but I'd trust (most) Tossers' opinions over a website promoting said attraction. And, TBH, I'd prefer things that aren't on the 'tourist trail' so I'm still open to suggestions ;)

What I meant was that there were very few books (a couple of them) - at least in English - about the Balkans' theatre in WW2. This assumed you'd might want to read something about it.

Yup, so you'll be wanting Tossers' opinions on what to see, where to go and the local knowledge gained from hands-on experience. You are in the right place.

You could maybe copy bits of this, perhaps? http://www.mototrip-tours.com/motorcycle-tours/guided-motorcycle-tour-balkans.htm

If you in that part of world (Croatia/Bosnia) then definitely ride along Croatian coast, beautiful place
from Sarajevo - Mostar - Dubrovnik - Makarska - Split - Trogir - Sibenik - Zadar - Plitvice Lakes - Opatija - Pula - Rovinj - Porec and then in to Slovenia

Nice one, ta muchly :clap

If you in that part of world (Croatia/Bosnia) then definitely ride along Croatian coast, beautiful place
from Sarajevo - Mostar - Dubrovnik - Makarska - Split - Trogir - Sibenik - Zadar - Plitvice Lakes - Opatija - Pula - Rovinj - Porec and then in to Slovenia

Thanks Kordun, some of those are already earmarked but I'll investigate the others too :thumb

What I meant was that there were very few books (a couple of them) - at least in English - about the Balkans' theatre in WW2. This assumed you'd might want to read something about it.

Yup, so you'll be wanting Tossers' opinions on what to see, where to go and the local knowledge gained from hands-on experience. You are in the right place.

You could maybe copy bits of this, perhaps? http://www.mototrip-tours.com/motorcycle-tours/guided-motorcycle-tour-balkans.htm

A must read ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UME8722/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1.

Back
Top Bottom