Invercargill revisited

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
17th February 2017

I don't sleep well, despite the aid of a six pack...
tongue.gif

I drag myself out of bed, shower, dress, pack and am pressing the starter at about 0915...

IMG_1940-X3.jpg

Bettie takes me on a weird route out of the city - up the steep hill my hotel is built on...

IMG_1944-X3.jpg

...and eventually on the coast road. It's about 60° F and feels colder...

I stop at a Mobil station and refuel - and add a litre of oil. I've been watching the sight glass slowly draining each morning and today there was nothing in the window. A litre tops it up...
thumb2.gif

IMG_1948-X3.jpg

The reason it feels cold is the bank of fog sitting offshore, with a breeze blowing the cold, wet air inland...

IMG_1956-X3.jpg

It's a beautiful morning, though...

IMG_1950-X3.jpg

...although I confess I did switch my heated grips to 'Low'...
biggrin.gif

IMG_1952-X3.jpg

I ride past miles of empty beaches...

IMG_1965-X3.jpg

The road steers me away from the coast at Taieri Mouth and points me inland...

IMG_1969-X3.jpg

I can see the entire valley ahead is shrouded in a fog bank - which is cold and damp as I enter it. I decide this will be an excellent time for breakfast...

IMG_1973-X3.jpg

I stop at the Black Swan Café, where the lovely Bernie...

IMG_1975-X3.jpg

...brings me Eggs Benedict and a coffee...

IMG_1976-X3.jpg

Fully decaffeinated and re-cholesteroled, I set off towards Invercargill...

IMG_1979-X3.jpg

Most of the fog has burned off, as I knew it would. It won't be a long day today - Bettie is estimating I'll be at my hotel by about 1345...

IMG_1980-X3.jpg

It was just a cottage at the side of the road - I should probably Google it...
confused.gif

IMG_1982-X3.jpg

I spot this old girl on a trailer on the way into Balclutha...

IMG_1983-X3.jpg

Any guesses? It has wooden-spoked wheels...
eek.gif

IMG_1984-X3.jpg

Gratuitous bridge pic...

IMG_1988-X3.jpg

At the rather unfortunately named Kaka Point, I see the sea mist is still persisting (try saying that three times, fast)...

IMG_1994-X3.jpg

...and spend a few minutes watching a grey heron (brilliantly camouflaged - foreground, left, by the rock pool) stalking its prey in the rock pools...

IMG_1995-X3.jpg

Enough - it's getting chilly. I rejoin the main Highway One and...

IMG_1996-X3.jpg

...it's immediately warm and sunny again...

IMG_1998-X3.jpg

Haven't had a barn pic in a few days...

IMG_2002-X3.jpg

The road is almost completely empty and I'm continually having to check my speed...

IMG_2009-X3.jpg

...as I have come into the habit of finding a driver who is travelling at roughly the speed I want, and following a couple of seconds behind him...

IMG_2012-X3.jpg

...not so easy on an empty road...
biggrin.gif

IMG_2014-X3.jpg

I get diverted down the same gravel roads as when I was here last, to detour around a bridge closure...

IMG_2016-X3.jpg

The NZ Post Office seems quite similar to the US model - that is to say some people have PO boxes in the local post office in town, others have their own mailboxes outside their houses. Just like in the USA, these come in all shapes and sizes - I like this one...

IMG_2017-X3.jpg

Couple of happy looking dogs...

IMG_2030-X3.jpg

Spotted this nicely understated little pickup just off the main road - any guesses?

IMG_2034-X3.jpg

Pretty soon I'm on finals for Invercargill and check into my very pleasant room at 1335...

IMG_2035-X3.jpg

I'm here for three nights - have some admin to do and lots of stuff to do and see in the area...

IMG_1954-X3.jpg

Nice morning ride Mike, you are killing me with all these glorious photos....:D good on yer.... have a good few days and keep the pics coming :thumby::clap keeping me motivated for this years rides. stay safe:thumby:

Ref the old car on the trailer, was there perchance a small group of short cartoonish men in homburg hats nearby?
Smacks of Lavender Hill Mob to me.

Back
Top Bottom