Intermittent speedo on F650GS (Dakar)

SilverSurferToo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been a lurker for quite some time. I've had an R1100S but have now got a R1200GS which is brilliant piece of kit (but you knew that already) and I've generally found any question I was about to post had already been asked and answered, so have never had to post anything - until now.
I have always fancied a F650GS for the spring commute as ... well the big GS is just overkill sometimes. Anyway, I managed to pick up a 2000 model GS Dakar from here just the other week (Thanks again!).

However, I took it for a decent run today and after a few miles the speedo stopped working. The odomoter and trip are both showing digits, the lights are on but it's not measuring distance or speed. It did flicker very intermittently and showed 20mph when I stopped in the garage so I'm guessing a chaffed wire or dodgy pick-up. I had a quick look at a well known provider of DIY manuals but didn't see anything about the pick-up. I'm assuming it is at the rear wheel beside the rear caliper and is accessible when I remove all the plastic gubbins there etc. Is that right?
I've seen some comments about wiring around the headstock too but do you need to remove much of the fairing to get to that? I've only got a few hours available tomorrow so don't want to start a 4 hour strip down but if that's what it takes then fair enough.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Check the ABS sensor wire for the rear wheel for any abrasions, particularly where it may have come into contact with the wheel/tyre.

Also check the rear abs ring is clean and the speed sensor is the correct distance from it. It may seem an odd thing, but check the battery terminals are clean and tight. If they aren't it can cause all sorts of issues on these bikes.

So the sensor was right up against the ring. Why? Good question to which I don't have an answer. Used a washer on sensor side of bolt to reset the gap and we have a working speedo again. I'll need to disassemble the whole thing properly some time to see if something is bent to cause the sensor to hit the ring. Thanks for the suggestions gents.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom