Touratech toolbox rusting brackets

stevekdavis

Reaction score
Toolbox has been on my 2017 GSA for about 200 miles, admittedly very wet miles however it shouldn't be rusting.

cf87d6fd4ad1ebdba1bf02a3b562df7b.jpg
84443a97535ffdc88d937633ea74eaf0.jpg
3d0804631692c561c5a188bd7a7299c9.jpg

Anyone else had this? Bought from Nippy Normans but I'll tackle Touratech directly on the phone tomorrow.

What grade stainless? Salt on roads means marine grade is minimum (A4?). Looks like it is on welds.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

My materials science are a little rusty but that's not good. Had the GS emotion toolbox for a few thousand miles. It got dirty - that's all. Speak to Touratech they'll sort it out as that's not good publicity for the rufty tufty brigade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also had a gsemotions toolbox on my old gsa for over 20k miles with no rust. Thought touratech would be better quality.

I have the same toolbox and it is showing similar signs of rust. I think it is the bracket rather than the box which is rusting slightly.

When I cleaned my bike yesterday I was pleased with the way the box itself is still unmarked after several months - and totally waterproof (I've read that some of the competitors are not!).

In fact, I wonder why the BMW top box and panniers cannot be treated in the same salt resistant way as the TT box

I hadn't thought to do it but I'll get in touch with TT and will be interested in their comments

Rub it off with a little wool, and spray lightly with some galvanising spray...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom