Rear Subframe Corrosion

It's great that BMW seem to be good about replacing bits under warranty and all, but is there any evidence that they're making an effort to improve the finish to make it less of an issue in the future? Or is the attitude just that despite these being 'adventure' bikes most riders are doing the same 3-5k sunny miles a year as the average UK rider so it only affects a minority and why dip into the profit margins?

Nope, no evidence at all. All my dealer says is that BMW are aware of the issue, and are constantly making changes. Or not!:blast

Having been struggling all winter to get these wheels clean, I took them off this weekend and had a real good go at them on a bench with a PH Neutral cleaner, car shampoo and elbow grease. This is as good as i can get them. They were fine last winter, as were my grey cross spoke wheels on my GS the year before. I also ran a 990ADV with black spoked rims through winters without issue. No wonder I couldn't get them clean, its corrosion on the rim. I know it looks like dirt which can be wiped off, but its not. I even tried a small section with the scouring part of a kitchen sponge but nothing..... bugger. Anyone recommend a way to clean these up?

My bike is just about a year old and the wheels are showing signs of corrosion not quite as bad as yours but, I shall be giving my bike a check over before it goes in for service in a couple of weeks, in case I need to get anything looked at in regards replacement.

Terry

I've got some gtechniq wheel armour in the garage, which has been excellent on my car wheels, so will be applying it to the new GSA as soon as it arrives. See here: http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/gtechniq/c5-alloy-wheel-armour.aspx

It's definitely worrying that the new bikes can't seem to take normal mileage, my 2007 bike did 55,000 miles, rode through every winter and the wheels looked much better than the above.

My wheels were ceramic coated a few weeks ago (see other thread), and none of the mud and crap from the weekend has stuck to them, after a quick jet washing. They seemed much easier to clean since. My dealer also put a small blob of lacquer on each spoke nut, as these are prone to corrosion (their words). We shall see how they hold up.

I hate to say it, but it would appear that BMW do seem to be making more cost cutting exercises where the LC is concerned. As well as putting the prices up.:blast

Initial feedback from Vines yesterday was that its not covered and i'd need to call BMW customer services to proceed if i wanted too. Bollocks to that, considering the sheer quantity of parts replaced on bikes on this forum. So told the young guy i would speak to someone higher in the food chain at Vines. Actually quite aggravating he approached BMW to make a case about replacing parts, based on a 2 minute conversation and some pics he took on his phone in their carpark. If i'd known that was the chance to make a case, i would have send pics and text myself :blast idiot. Oh well, time to document the rust!

Prior to having my engine replaced BMW insisted on further photos of the rest of the bike so they could gauge it's overall condition

The guy you are dealing with at Vines sound none too helpful :duno

Yeah useless, haven't even mentioned the wheels to them yet, this was the subframe and swing arm.

I am waiting to hear what the dealer John Clark BMW in Dundee is going to do about issues even worse than yours. My bike already has already had over three grand of warranty work from BMW and it looks like another three required.
Rear subframe was painted by a blind guy with parkinsons. the rear wheel is pitted to hell and the front is OK. The "usual" corrosion at the gasket on the final drive is about four inches sq... at 10000 miles and 18 months nobody should be having to argue that its "acceptable wear and tear"

Last edited:
I'm still chasing Vines. The corrosion is much worse and we've hardly had any rain since march and definitely no salt on the roads.

UPDATE

I am waiting to hear what the dealer John Clark BMW in Dundee is going to do about issues even worse than yours. My bike already has already had over three grand of warranty work from BMW and it looks like another three required.
Rear subframe was painted by a blind guy with parkinsons. the rear wheel is pitted to hell and the front is OK. The "usual" corrosion at the gasket on the final drive is about four inches sq... at 10000 miles and 18 months nobody should be having to argue that its "acceptable wear and tear"

John Clarke submitted the claim to BMW and all the big parts are now replaced. Final Drive, Rear wheel and Rear subframe. I am having it treated by "all year biker" in the hope I can at least keep it reasonable until trade in time. I have a new job where `i work from home now so, no more daily commute in all weathers. so lets see if the new parts corrode at the same rate....

Good comparison pic between February and May. The small white spots under the paint have gotten worse, then broken through the paint and the paint is now coming off, followed by the unpainted areas now rusting. The subframe has already been agreed to be replaced. Just waiting on some other components to be authorised before its replacement.

FEBRUARY

MAY

Vines, they know all about corrosion and how not to treat a bike.

If it helps your case, ask them about their white GSA 2016/66 reg demonstrator
When I test rode it in Feb, it was less than 6 months old 900 miles and covered in rust and salt damage. Pics on another thread.

Linky, see post #20

3 months old, 1,700 miles.
6084803260e2741119f936f652f03b7a.jpg
9951645291b084ccba0edc2bee785395.jpg
1a03e2456948a0bf7f5ceb8337b9483c.jpg
d6d8ed24db28f2f8114f1ee014994bca.jpg

From the dark side this was sent

I am sensing a theme here. ..

I wish you the best in getting that fixed. I genuinely think that there was a problem in the paintshop at the last half of 2015 onwards. Original paint was almost nonexistent. My replacement subframe has paint which is over thirty five microns thick... Curiously after being accused of not looking after my bike I checked the front of the engine casing where it gets wheel spray and its in MINT condition. go figure...

Vines, they know all about corrosion and how not to treat a bike.

If it helps your case, ask them about their white GSA 2016/66 reg demonstrator
When I test rode it in Feb, it was less than 6 months old 900 miles and covered in rust and salt damage. Pics on another thread.

Linky, see post #20

Would that be the one with the NOG plate Brian? :rolleyes:

Whoops, my mistake. Thanks for pointing out, I must have been light headed from being up on my high horse. bnige

To be clear Vines had nothing to do with the pics I posted, apols for any upset caused.

now, where's me sword. :blast

Whoops, bu66er, my mistake. Thanks for pointing out, I must have been light headed from being up on my high horse. bnige

To be clear Vines had nothing to do with the pics I posted, apols for any upset caused.

now, where's me sword. :blast

I wish you the best in getting that fixed. I genuinely think that there was a problem in the paintshop at the last half of 2015 onwards. Original paint was almost nonexistent. My replacement subframe has paint which is over thirty five microns thick... Curiously after being accused of not looking after my bike I checked the front of the engine casing where it gets wheel spray and its in MINT condition. go figure...
Rejected. Sent it back and bought a Triumph.

From the dark side this was sent ...

Back
Top Bottom