Rear Subframe Corrosion

Well its taken 4 Months, but the GSA went in this morning for major surgery. BMW no longer change whole engines for corrosion and the dealer was due to change the corroded heads, meaning rebuilding the engine and combining old and new parts, so I decided not to go ahead with it. The hassle and possible issues with doing that totally outweighed the relatively small amount of corrosion around the exhaust heads and coolant drain plugs. The up shot is that they are powder coating my main frame, sub frame and both stands so it wont rot again!! (something they should do in the factory....) Rear swing arm and final driver are being replaced and hopefully the wheels will be too, but BMW playing hard ball and insisting its they type of wheel cleaner I've used :blast

Anyway, on a loan scooter for 2 weeks (my choice) so looking forward to getting it back already.

Nice little surprise waiting for me today when I went to swap over my new can. :blast

LwhApwI.jpg

That paint is thin.

How's the scooter going?

GT or Sport?

I've got the Sport, its a fantastic machine for motorway then city commute for me. If i were sensible, it would be the ideal way to get to work all year round, but i'm not really a scooter person. Had the Electric one for a couple of days too, but the range isn't long enough.

Nice little surprise waiting for me today when I went to swap over my new can. :blast

LwhApwI.jpg

That paint is thin.

To be fair, there will be some vibration and moisture can trap there. At least you can rub down and touch up and it will be hidden. Black is a nice colour to touch up.

Fair ! Not something often written on here, especially about BMW ..... :D

To be fair, there will be some vibration and moisture can trap there. At least you can rub down and touch up and it will be hidden. Black is a nice colour to touch up.

Yeah, if anywhere is going to rust it’s there, but the paint does look very thin and the bike is only ~18 months old, so it’s still a bit disappointing to see. I’ve attacked it with some Hammerite tonight, hopefully it’ll be looking a bit better by the morning.

It better not take too long to dry, I want to get my new Akra on there…

Finally got my bike back! Its looking great. Took 7 weeks though :blast

Anyway, onwards and upwards. (and off to take shares in ACF50)

Not being covered under warranty

https://youtu.be/si3tZm_xp4s

Can anyone give information on how they got their subframe changed or painted/powder coated under warranty. Bmw uk and Cotswold are saying tuff shit😡😡🤬

Can anyone give information on how they got their subframe changed or painted/powder coated under warranty. Bmw uk and Cotswold are saying tuff shit������

That’s a paint problem if ever I seen one, Disgusting..
clearly seen the paint flaking off around one of the bolts, it’s not adhered to the metal from new.
Cotswold, would I buy a bike off them.? Prob not now..

I’m sat here fuming for you.. I would be pissed off with that, take some professional advice.
Consumer law or not fit for purpose maybe..?

It started within 6 weeks of delivery from new
Riders of Cardiff have been the worst dealership I have ever had dealings with.
John in the service desk is so stuck up his own ass.
When I popped it in for then to gave a look, I was told
“What do you want us to do? We have plenty come in like this but BMW never pay us so we’re not doing any more paint claims “

Now Cotswold have tried and this was the reply

Good morning Peter

Thanks for messaging your details.

I’ve spoken with the service team at Cotswold Motorrad. I’m afraid as they’ve determined that the corrosion has been caused by off road usage, without being cleaned at regular intervals, this cannot be corrected under warranty.

I appreciate this isn’t the answer you were hoping for and I’m sorry to disappoint you.

Kind regards

Alan
BMW Motorrad UK

Can anyone give information on how they got their subframe changed or painted/powder coated under warranty. Bmw uk and Cotswold are saying tuff shit������

That’s appalling. Have you owned the bike from new? If so, can we have some idea of cleaning regime/ ridden in winter etc....

I've seen them corrode like that and they've never been near a muddy track

It does look like some Gibbon has been replacing your tyres though

What have you covered the bike in? ............ FS365?

Vines Motorrad in Guildford organised all the warranty work and fought my case for me. It took months to get done as BMW UK refused the claims numerous times. They know its used off road, which is why they got it powder coated as they knew another frame would just rot in a year agin. I think the paint on the GS is appalling and BMW know it. They are also trying every which way to get out of these warranty claims now as its loosing them a fortune. People using their bikes as per the photos in the sales brochure are being penalised and its disgusting.

A chap I know was in the final stages of getting his GSA replaced, when the MD sent him a letter stating he'd gone through his social media and seen the bike being used in 'extreme situations' so they were not going to replace it. These extreme situations are UK green lanes. Hardly a Sahara crossing. He sent them images from his social media next to images from their sales brochures and they were basically the same image..... so they are now 'considering' the bike replacement again. To run salt in the wounds, that Motorrad dealer were reusing his images in their own social media campaigns to show what the bike can do....

Back
Top Bottom