new v-strom 650

Colin

Reaction score
just traded in my 2014 f700gs. low suspension model for a new pre registered suzuki dl650 v-strom. after test riding one last week and was very impressed.£1000 off price.
I collect it on the 7 march. they are fitting a Lust 40mm lowering kit. I would have liked either a red or blue. but not available, so black or white. so I chose black.
probably get some Givi trekker luggage. they don't seem to be as wide as other makes.
don't seem to hear any bad reports about these bikes.
we will see how it perform when we take it to Croatia in June.

Tried One of those. First class do everything you would want. IMHO. May not have the Kudos of a GS but value for money top notch.
Enjoy your new bike.

Bought mine about a year ago and the wife and I took it to Spain last year and doing the same this year. I got it because it is the most spacious of the mid range bikes and copes tow up just as well as a bigger bike. The only criticism would be that the standard seat becomes uncomfortable after an hour and a half, but easily sorted.
image_zpsrxylvxkh.jpeg

taxed & insured it this morning. went out for a ride, 48 miles got fekin soaked. had sun, rain, hail stones. but loved every minute.
what a joy to ride. will fit the givi trekker luggage in the next few days. it was doing 67 mpg. kept it under 5000 rpm.

610 miles on the clock now. going for it's first service in 2 days. changed the screen to a MRA vario due to turbulence. fitted a front fender extender. and 20mm handlebar risers from M&P. rear suspension lowered 40mm. front forks dropped 15mm.
givi trekker luggage. oem handguards, and grip puppies fitted. most I've done is 169 miles in one trip so far and bum was ok. 69 mpg. really pleased with it so far.
the reason for lowering... i'm 5'6" with 29" leg.

40mm rear, 15mm front doesn't sound ideal...
You will probably need a stiffer rear spring if touring 2up and/or lots of luggage.
Yep great vfm bikes, comfy, plenty quick enough with good economy & range BUT that does plummet if you are 'brisk' on the motorway.
Enjoy.

These bikes look great and being Suzuki nothing will go wrong plus easy to service.
There is a big benefit to a standard suspension setup, just change the dogbones and drop the forks and you can set the bike to suit you.
There is a lot of talk about suspension and changing stuff. Its a new bike the suspension is fine.
Ride and enjoy.

40mm rear, 15mm front doesn't sound ideal...
You will probably need a stiffer rear spring if touring 2up and/or lots of luggage.
Yep great vfm bikes, comfy, plenty quick enough with good economy & range BUT that does plummet if you are 'brisk' on the motorway.
Enjoy.
I have had the rear wheel touch the underside of the mudguard when fully loaded 2 up. Is it possible to add a extra bump stop to restrict the movement. And maybe I will fit a hyperpro spring.

Any packing would reduce suspension travel, so while the tyre wouldn't contact (good) the shock would bottom out earlier (bad).
A stiffer spring would help but really full suspension movement shouldn't have the tyre catching anything.
Maybe 25mm drop links rather than the 40mm and try lowering the seat height if the remaining 15mm is important to you.

It's easy enough to remove the shock if you decide to fit a spring.

Phil

2016 dl650

removed rear shock and fitted a 3/4" nylon spacer under bumpstop. refitted the shock without spring, pushed it up and it doesn't touch mudguard. enough clearance to get my fingers above the tyre. refitted spring and put it on hardest setting which is about right for 2 up and luggage. got 1260 miles on it now, went to Bovington tank museum today to see the German Tiger collection, and it was doing 74 mpg.
I bought a s/h low seat which has helped.

Nice work.
A 3/4'' spacer would reduce wheel travel by ~ 2'' leaving only ~ 4'' of suspension travel, taking sag into account, thats only ~ 2 1/2'' compression movement (from a static position).
I hope it works for you but I feel that the bump stop is going to get some hammering.

the reason for lowering... i'm 5'6" with 29" leg.

Sorry if this sounds patronising - it's not meant to be...

I also have only a 29" inside leg, though I am a little taller. For years I rode an 1150 GS without any modification and I now ride a Tiger 800 (roadie) also unmodified. You might be better off simply returning the bike to standard and living with the fact that you can't get both feet flat on the ground.

I haven't ridden the 650 V-Strom, so maybe it is huge and you have no choice; but as a general rule you should be fine without both feet flat and, of course, when you really need more control with a pillion passenger your suspension will be compressed more anyway.

Back
Top Bottom