Broadband

Possu

Reaction score
Looking to move from BT, Virgin have a local office and I have a mobile contract with Vodafone.

Not interested in TV, just want a decent landline and broadband contract, anything I should know about either of these two providers or is there someone I have overlooked?

Virgin only do Internet through their fibre/cable TV network so make sure that is in your street or your out of luck with them. Other than being pretty expensive and their call centre being in India I have had a pretty good service from them over the years. I had no other choice until recently since BT broadband was dog slow until they put the fibre into the area.

I'm happy with my Plusnet line and fibre broadband.
;)
They are onwed by BT

Virgin, brilliant, get 70meg all day all night, fibre! If you go the BT route only go fibre otherwise you'll have to put up with an out of date copper tail.

Nuff said.

go on Quidco compare and see what is available locally - I'm looking to change from BT too as we have yet another price rise when I thought I had a 12 month deal

Now TV - part of Sky - are doing broadband now. They do a rolling month contract which I like the idea of. You do get a TV service, little more than Freeview with Sky1 added. Useful cashback from Quidco & Topcashback.

I have Sky and they are increasing their charges, I contacted them to cancel and ended up upgrading to fibre for £5 less so was happy BUT! and there's always a but....I have had to pay a £10 charge for a upgraded router

Does anyone know if I need a different router for fibre as I'd have thought that were the same :nenau

Thinking of going for a Vodafone Fibre 76 offer:

Min download speed: 60mbps
Upload speed: 20mbps

£28.00 per month, no need for a BT landline, retain my landline number, an additional £8.00 pcm gets me unlimited UK mobile and landline calls. £36.00 pcm, everything I need, no additional costs apart from international calls which in this age of free video messaging etc, will be minimal.

£28.00 per month, no need for a BT landline, retain my landline number, an additional £8.00 pcm gets me unlimited UK mobile and landline calls. £36.00 pcm, everything I need, no additional costs apart from international calls which in this age of free video messaging etc, will be minimal.

Or the similar Virgin offering ;
Superfibre 50 .....Love them ( just checked, I pay £25.70 a mnth inc VAT)

(Why on earth keep a landline number though ? Thats a stupid waste of a few hundred pounds over 3 years)

Happy with Plusnet. Been good service they do a deal if you sign up for 2 years and don't push TV.

I have Sky and they are increasing their charges, I contacted them to cancel and ended up upgrading to fibre for £5 less so was happy BUT! and there's always a but....I have had to pay a £10 charge for a upgraded router

Does anyone know if I need a different router for fibre as I'd have thought that were the same :nenau

yes, when I switched from ADSL broadband to fibre in 2014 I was sent a different router by plusnet

Vodafone transfer was seamless. If you have a BTinternet email you will need to change it or pay a monthly subscription to keep it (£5)

Virgin, brilliant, get 70meg all day all night, fibre! If you go the BT route only go fibre otherwise you'll have to put up with an out of date copper tail.

Nuff said.

I'm a bit curious just how Virgin can make the copper tail disappear?

Nuff said.

Almost all of the BT fibre [and companies that use the BT network, like Sky, Talk Talk, Vodafone, etc] have copper for the tail. The 'fibre' bit is between the exchange and one of those green street side boxes somewhere in/near your neighbourhood. The 'old' style ADSL was copper all the way back to the exchange. It is theoretically possible for the 'fibre' broadband to be slower than the old style 'copper' [if they go to different exchanges], but that should be rare.

My knowledge on Virgin is quite likely out of date, but they used to have a Siamese cable... copper with coax. Coax did the broadband and TV, copper did the phone. There were trials on using coax for telephone in the 90s but it didn't really work.

Don't ask me anything about motorcycles, though.

Yup Virgin use a different cable system completely independent from BT. 99%of other companies use BT cable whatever they call themselves. A lucky few with BT cabling will have fibre to house but it's pretty rare as yet

Back
Top Bottom