Methven

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
21st February 2017

I sleep well (apart from hearing something pacing around on the gravel outside at around 0200 - I quickly closed the patio door and went back to sleep...
biggrin.gif
). I'm showered, dressed and packed by 0900 and wheel the bike outside...

IMG_2735-X3.jpg

...before pressing the garage door button (at the far end of the garage) and doing a comedy run to get out before it closes...

IMG_2736-X3.jpg

It's a glorious day - already in the high 60s F and forecast to get a lot warmer. I take Highway 8a out of Wanaka...

IMG_2738-X3.jpg

Just outside town there is a firm called Puzzle World...

IMG_2739-X3.jpg

As well as weird buildings, I notice they've planted Monkey-Puzzle trees...

IMG_2740-X3.jpg

I set a cruise of about 105 - no traffic about this morning...

IMG_2745-X3.jpg

I notice there's a vehicle museum of some sort to my left - but I'm pretty much museumed out at the moment...

IMG_2750-X3.jpg

The air is crystal clear...

IMG_2751-X3.jpg

...I really should have cleaned my visor last light...

IMG_2755-X3.jpg

Just after crossing this bridge, Bettie gave me a hard right and we start towards...

IMG_2757-X3.jpg

...the small town of Tarras...

IMG_2763-X3.jpg

The irrigators are working at full tilt...

IMG_2761-X3.jpg

Riding conditions are about perfect...

IMG_2766-X3.jpg

I stop at the Tarras Country Café for breakfast - to find they just have stuff they heat up. I choose a chicken and salsa wrap (which proves to be an excellent, if unconventional, choice for breakfast) and a cup of tea...

IMG_2767-X3.jpg

I'm soon back on the bike and heading down Highway 8...

IMG_2768-X3.jpg

I have about 230 miles to do today - I'd like to be finished early, to avoid the heat of the late afternoon...

IMG_2770-X3.jpg

It's a lovely ride - the long grass on the hills ripples slightly on the light breeze, giving the hills the appearance of being covered in velvet...

IMG_2772-X3.jpg

It's not a challenging ride (other than the challenge of keeping my speed down, of course...
tongue.gif
)...

IMG_2775-X3.jpg

...but the road runs through some beautiful country...

IMG_2786-X3.jpg

I'm headed towards the Lindis Pass...

IMG_2791-X3.jpg

...where the road gets twistier...

IMG_2802-X3.jpg

...but it's a gentle pass - no switchbacks or steep climbs...

IMG_2804-X3.jpg

In fact the other side reminded me slightly of Glencoe, though this is on an altogether smaller scale...

IMG_2811-X3.jpg

Onward!

IMG_2812-X3.jpg

I'm soon leaving the Lindis Pass...

IMG_2818-X3.jpg

...and pressing on towards Methven, my target for today...

IMG_2827-X3.jpg

I'm going to intersect with a road I travelled the other day - at the splendidly named town of Twizel...

IMG_2830-X3.jpg

A white SUV approaches me from behind quite rapidly, so I move left to let him pass. He adjusts his speed to mine and follows me for twenty miles or so - I'm acting as his speed buddy - dammit!
biggrin.gif

IMG_2833-X3.jpg

Mount Cook comes into view...

IMG_0668-X3.jpg

What could be better than riding a bike here, on a gloriously sunny day and a view like this?

IMG_2848-X3.jpg

I know I'm very fortunate to be able to do this...

IMG_2857-X3.jpg

Soon the lake's behind me and I'm heading towards Lake Takepo...

IMG_2867-X3.jpg

...which is just as blue and beautiful...

IMG_2885-X3.jpg

I stop for a coffee and meet two New Zealanders from near Christchurch, Ian and Erin.

IMG_2888-X3.jpg

They're cracking company and have a hundred questions about my plans. Ian gives me some history on Bill Richardson (whose empire includes Allied Oil and Richardson Cement - one of the biggest suppliers on the islands). Apparently he lost a son at the age of 30 or so - as he was training him to take the business over. His collecting started shortly after that...

I say my farewells to Ian and Erin, then get moving towards Methven - about an hour and a half away now.

One final pic of the lake...

IMG_2887-X3.jpg

...and we're back to the pleasant, but less spectacular, valley road...

IMG_2894-X3.jpg

I find myself a speed buddy - moving at 104kph - for a few miles...

IMG_2895-X3.jpg

...but he eventually turns off...

IMG_2901-X3.jpg

It's getting a tad warm...

IMG_2911-X3.jpg

...and although I'm drinking pretty much constantly, I recognise I'm not concentrating enough to ride fast...

IMG_2903-X3.jpg

...so I bring the speed off a little and do some mental exercises to keep myself alert...

IMG_2914-X3.jpg

Occasionally the road is mottled with shade from trees to the left - the cool is very welcome...

IMG_2916-X3.jpg

I saw this smart looking gentleman in Geraldine - no prizes with that number plate, I'm afraid...
tongue.gif

IMG_2919-X3.jpg

Almost there...

IMG_2924-X3.jpg

Spotted these two in the small town of Alford Forest, about five minutes out...

IMG_2928-X3.jpg

I arrive at my motel at about 1430 - it's very warm. Regrettably the room has neither AC nor even a fan...
knary.gif

I start the pics uploading on the (quite fast) WiFi, then pop into town to refuel the bike and pick up some essentials (=six-pack and something to eat).

Great day...

IMG_2865-X3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom