Scotland Tour May/June 2017

Gab

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I've searched for some threads related to Scotland and there were so many results that I thought it'd be easier for me to post a new one asking for what I exactly need.

I'm planning to go to Scotland (from London) for the second bank holiday of May. I'm thinking to get a few days off work in order to start my trip either in the evening of Friday 26th May or in the morning of Saturday 27th May and be back home on Saturday the 3rd of June.

Considering the dates (1 full week at least), the period of the here (beginning of June) and the fact I'd certainly like to visit the isle of Skye and some of the Highlands (and obviously some distilleries, e.g. Talisker and/or Oban), does anyone have any suggestions on the route to follow and the places that are a must-see? Advice on the best routes and the good places where to sleep would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

1. Look at the RiDE magazine website for suggestions.

2. Look at the Curves thread, lovelingly created on a day-by-day basis. This also includes GPS routes for both the Curves and RiDE magazine routes. In short, "Exactly what you need".

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/444133-Curves-book-Scotland

3. Try the Scottish sub-section

4. I really don't believe you've tried that hard but hey, it's your holiday so why not get someone to do it all for you?

PS As regards 'good places to sleep', do you have in mind a tent or five star luxury?

PPS As regards the distillery sites. Their adresss is on the internet and on the back of the bottle. You'll find them on a map.

PPPS As regards must see things, try the Scottish Tourist Board. Bods from as far afield as Japan, Brazil and Namibia go to Scotland to look at stuff, so somebody must know where all the stuff is.

Hi Wapping,

Thanks for your reply.

I was actually reading your thread about the Curves magazine and all the additional information and photos you posted. Impressive!

Regarding the good places to sleep it could either be a tent (if a couple of 'camping addicted' friends join me) or the typical mid range hotel / b'n'b. Not looking for any luxury accommodation.

Regarding the distilleries LOL. What I meant is that it'd be nice to know which are the ones that really worth visiting. And that perhaps are on the way.

It'd also be good to know the average cost of a 5/6 day ride in Scotland from people who have already experienced it.

Distilleries - it depends on your route, obviously.
Aberfeldy, Edradour, Blair Athol (in Pitlochry), Glenkinchie (near Pathhead south of Edinburgh), Royal Lochnagar, Oban, Talisker, a large selection in the Speyside area. The best ones are those that make the product you like to drink.

Suggest you rough out a route and then post it up here for comments. Stay clear of the A9 is the only rule!

Speed cameras and lots of trucks and grockling tourists in buses. Get a map and look for alternatives! Perth, Blairgowrie, Glenshee etc. Or cut off the M74 and go through Galloway to the Clyde west of Glagow. Take a ferry to Cowal or Kilcreggan and then north to Oban.

I have some tried and tested routes that will give you 4 or 5 nights but they start at Doncaster (ish )
You are welcome to them if you Pm me an e mail address and have basecamp software

Thanks guys!

Redrick, will pm you now.

Edited: I've just sent you the 'Add as Friend' invite but I didn't manage to find the p.m. option :-S

You need to be a site subscriber to send PM's at a cost of £12 a year. It's cheap for the quality of holiday you'll receive.

Speed cameras are all front facing apart from up at the Slochd, near Inverness.

You need to be a site subscriber to send PM's at a cost of £12 a year. It's cheap for the quality of holiday you'll receive.

Oh... I see. I might subscribe then.

I bet the quality of information/holiday is better than the quality of banter ;)

Regarding the distilleries LOL. What I meant is that it'd be nice to know which are the ones that really worth visiting. And that perhaps are on the way.

I bet the quality of information/holiday is better than the quality of banter

I don`t drink so the Distilleries are of no interest to me - my advice is to pass them by.
How`s that for quality banter.

p.s. You really need to hand over that £12 to achieve the full benefit.

I don`t drink so the Distilleries are of no interest to me - my advice is to pass them by.
How`s that for quality banter.

Your banter is pish! Must try harder, please. The OP, obviously, is interested in distilleries which is why he sought for information and I offered some suggestions. I don't, really, drink the stuff either but some distillery tours are interesting (if you're in to that kind of thing). Riding up to Skye and visiting Talisker distillery is a nice trip. Nice visitor centre there and a local pub, that does food and accommodation, 100m. away.

West coast accommodation books up early in the smaller towns. If you are camping no issue, but if you fancy B&B then pre book.

Steve

Your banter is pish! Must try harder, please. The OP, obviously, is interested in distilleries which is why he sought for information and I offered some suggestions. I don't, really, drink the stuff either but some distillery tours are interesting (if you're in to that kind of thing). Riding up to Skye and visiting Talisker distillery is a nice trip. Nice visitor centre there and a local pub, that does food and accommodation, 100m. away.

That sounds good to me. Thanks Khulu!

Whatever route you take and wherever you stay I am sure you will love it .. only been twice .. it's a LONG way from down here on the south coast... The Western Highlands is just a brilliant place to go and I have to say even as a softy southern shandy drinker those Scottish chaps are very friendly :D

Back
Top Bottom