Potes to Douro Valley via N621?

Incidentally. if you're travelling down through Portugal on your way to the Algarve can I recommend the Hotel Museu in Mertola. Lovely rooms and great views from them over the R. Guadiana. Very well priced too.

Just a few places you might like to try in Portugal:

Coimbra - beautiful old city. The Uni Library is a must see.
Condeixa-a-Nova - check out the Roman sites.
Batalha & Fatima - religious sites, maybe stay at Ourem.
Sintra - we stayed at Queluz & took the train/tram. Cascais is nice for R&R but has grown, smartened up hugely of late & become more exclusive/expensive.
Palmela & Setubal - wonderful old fortress', now Pousadas. Take the ferry from Setubal, over the Sado & amble down the coast roads.
Sagres & Cabo de Sao Vincente - Portugese Lands End on the SW tip.
Estoi - stay at the wonderful Pestana Pousada.
Tavira - nice Pousada & boat trips.

Then Spain -
Ayamonte is interesting, on the Guardiana; fishing/Sardine canneries historically.
El Rocio - like something out of a Western Movie.
Jerez - needs no intro. We prefer to stay in Cadiz old town.
Arcos de la Frontera - amazing old town on the edge of a cliff.
Ronda - home of bullfighting, with museum. Beatiful site & some great local rides.
Cordoba - must see the old bridge & Mezquita
Granada - the old City & the Alhambra. Triumph sometimes use the A395 road up to the Sierra Nevada for testing.
Lorca - stay at the new Parador, with great views. We quite like the Parador at Mojacar Playa though - often inhabited by VAG/Porsche with test mules. Very relaxing.
& finally to Cartagena - as you say, the Roman sites & circuito.

Sorry, too much for one tour already & that's just scratching the surface, without getting into the red hot centre. There is so much do do/see inland the options are almost endless. Having an old riding buddy living near Denia meant we did Iberia regularly over the last 25 years. Some great riding territory, although the speed camera has emerged of late. You may also be familiar too with the aggressive steep speed bumps that have been laid as you enter some towns/villages, where speed control traffic lights were getting ignored.

Anyway, enjoy the planning & the trip idc ............ KEN

Thank you for sharing these little gems of info especially your in depth Spanish knowledge ...... I know of some of the Spanish stuff but not all....must get the map out now over coffee ...:D

Thanks again.

:)

Incidentally. if you're travelling down through Portugal on your way to the Algarve can I recommend the Hotel Museu in Mertola. Lovely rooms and great views from them over the R. Guadiana. Very well priced too.

Thanks Monty - just had a look and it looks good and as you say only €40 - might visit there after Sagres or Cascais ��

Thanks Monty - just had a look and it looks good and as you say only €40 - might visit there after Sagres or Cascais
Weird place (in a good way)...Roman remains in the foyer! They were very biker friendly too. Let me park my bike on the patio.

Had a great meal in the town just round the corner. Most unlikely looking place but top local recipes. I think it's the Restaurante Tamuje. It's small but exquisite. Again, not expensive. Book or go early though.

Try their Migas.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Right - that's tonight sorted - the missus didn't want to go too far today so booked the Pousada at Sangres for tonight - got a better deal by going direct and becoming an affiliate member at €140 - More than we would normally pay but your only here once - right?
��

Glad I took Kens advice - managed to wangle a sea view so we have booked for 2 nights to have a break from the bike

Sorry you couldn't get into Tavira for sensible money. The views at Sagres will more than make up for it though.

Where next??

Sorry you couldn't get into Tavira for sensible money. The views at Sagres will more than make up for it though.

Where next??
Ha - great question
I don't know - could do with somewhere about 3 hours away
I have considered Seville, El Rocio, Huelvas, Tavira,
We are headed to Cartagena eventually and really don't mind which way we go although by the sea is always nice - I mean along the coast

I have been looking at Isla Cristina in Heulvas province only a couple of hours from Sangres - ADH Hotel Isla Cristina is 200 metres from the beach in Isla Cristina, on the Costa de la Luz. Overlooking a pine forest, this adults-only hotel features an outdoor pool and 2 restaurants.
http://www.booking.com/Share-MYshhC
It has a pool and on site Parking

Looks nice, good value, but remeber IC is just Spanish Seaside, with pine trees & sand dunes. Great for a relax, but lacks the interest/history of say Ayamonte, or better still Cadiz (Parador) & Tarifa (Hotel Hurricane) or many other options. You could even do a day trip across the straits to Tanger from Tarifa, or just laze around watching the kite surfers.

Whatever, do try the road south-east of Huelva if you have the time - N442/A494 past Mazagon, to Torre de la Higuera. Then strike north on the A483 & take a break at El Rocio. Park on the edge of town, unless you are good at sand/dirt roads, but do try one of the old bars/restaurants in the centre.

Cheers ..................... KEN

There are great riding Roads behind the Algarve. If you are at Sagres then take the road N268 towards Aljezur, then the N267 to Monchique. N267 through Alferce and pick up the M502 to Silves. Or if you are on your way back then take the N266 from Monchique towards Beja. A great Stop in itself, then on to Evora (A world heritage site) or Elvas, a small fortified border town.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sadly only see this post now, could help you with Douro valley, but too late now.

Thanks everybody with some great advice - decided to follow Kens advice and stay away from the touristy seaside of Isla Cristina etc - headed from Sagres to Sevilla and are staying 2 nights here in Carmona which is a beautiful ancient city and still unspoiled

We will probably bin Cartagena now as it's a bit hot at the moment in Spain for walking around ancient ruins
Think we are going to plan to go up to Ciudad Real and on to Segovia before planning either Valladolid, Logrono or Burgos followed by perhaps Pamplona

Looks good but we would be doubling back from Carmona
I have been looking at Almagro near Ciudad Real but I will wait to see how far we get tomorrow before we start looking ��
Sorry Monty I should have explained better - if we turn back towards Aracena and we do want to head up eventually to Bilbao it will take us through Merida and Caceres Salamanca and Leon all of which we have done previously
Thanks for your suggestion though for another time

Why not route via Cordoba, on the A431, take in the Bridge & Mesquita for Brunch. Then cut north dir. CR, on the N420 - it's a nice sweeping fast road. Then, after Puertollano, take the Local CR413 NE to Almagro. The Parador is excellent, with a nice pool, as is the lovely old town square.

Alternatively, try Toledo - steeped in history, some of it none too pleasant during the Civil war. The Parador aint cheap, but it sits to the south with a superb view across the Rio Tajo, to the old City & Alcazar.

Weather sounds a tad hot!!

All the best .................... KEN

Why not route via Cordoba, on the A431, take in the Bridge & Mesquita for Brunch. Then cut north dir. CR, on the N420 - it's a nice sweeping fast road. Then, after Puertollano, take the Local CR413 NE to Almagro. The Parador is excellent, with a nice pool, as is the lovely old town square.

Alternatively, try Toledo - steeped in history, some of it none too pleasant during the Civil war. The Parador aint cheap, but it sits to the south with a superb view across the Rio Tajo, to the old City & Alcazar.

Weather sounds a tad hot!!

All the best .................... KEN

Thanks so much Ken
I appreciate all the advice the guys have given us on here and hope it helps others at the same time - we were planning the N420 anyway so that's great - as for Almagro or Toledo we will see how we feel - on the route planner it looks like 3 to 4 hours but in this heat who knows?
I will let you know where we end up
By the way I can't recommend Carmona highly enough- it's fantastic and we have visited the roman ruins and walked the cobbled streets and eaten in superb restaurants- we will definitely return here
The best thing is that it wasn't planned
We felt tired and pulled off the dual Carriageway and at a local tourism sign and the Looked on booking.com and double checked it and within half an hour we were checked in and swimming in the pool

After Carmona we are at Aranjuez which is the royal palaces near Madrid and a stunning place if anybody is planning a trip
https://m.nh-hotels.com/hotel/nh-co...Up0wodhUMPOA&dclid=COaBjYeaw9QCFewB0wodP3ANsA
Tomorrow we move on to Segovia and the. Up into the hills for a night at Sepulveda near Segovia famed for Asadors - so it's barbecue time for us
http://www.booking.com/Share-vEywQT

The Palaces at Aranjuez are certainly impressive, as they are at El Escorial & La Granja de San Ildefoso near Segovia. If you have the time, do get across to Segovia itself. The castle & Roman Aquaduct are amazing. The Restaurant in town was Meson de Candido, famous for Lamb & Suckling Pig, but I gather, like many Canivorous offerings, they are now pricey & can disappoint. The N110/N122 Road from Segovia to Soria, is a great ride incidentally. Then over the mountains (not the tunnel) to Logrono, may be a little cooler.

Back
Top Bottom