Potes to Douro Valley via N621?

Sideshow Bob

Reaction score
Hi Chaps
I was wondering if anybody can recommend any routes, stopovers riding from Potes to Portugal - I have done Potes to Canga De Onis which was great and then went to Portugal via Taramundi, Lugo and Santiago de Compostella and round past Vigo in the past but would like to come out of Potes maybe in the N621 direction and work my way across to Portugal but just a little worried in case it ends up just being a main Road with uninspiring towns/cities etc
Anybody gone to Portugal from Potes without following the title normal route and how was it please?
Bob

segovia is a fabulous place to visit

Thanks both
Never considered Segovia Sounds interesting and then across to Portugal through Salamanca where I have stayed before and it was amazing - good suggestions

Interested to read the responses to this - I've got a similar trip planned (Santander - Picos - Portugal - Santiago - Santander).

The bit between the Picos and Santiago is unplanned as yet as I've never been to Portugal or indeed south of the Picos on the bike.

Interested to read the responses to this - I've got a similar trip planned (Santander - Picos - Portugal - Santiago - Santander).

The bit between the Picos and Santiago is unplanned as yet as I've never been to Portugal or indeed south of the Picos on the bike.

Great route from Potes to Canga de Onis and then down to Santiago one of my favourite roads

Segovia well worth a visit, we stayed there last year, and then moved on to the picos. pictures if interested are in this thread http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/431324-The-pain-to-Spain-tour/page2
i have the route we took from segovia to the picos you could reverse it, i will try to find it. As i recall the route took us through a very flat and open landscape until we reached Saldana.

Probably further north than you want to go on this trip but may be of interest to you or to others

One place we stayed last year was a small town called Puebla de Sanabria, which is something of a hidden gem, very picturesque with a nice castle to visit

Stayed in the Hotel Victoria, it doesn't look much from the outside but inside it's superbe

Probably further north than you want to go on this trip but may be of interest to you or to others

One place we stayed last year was a small town called Puebla de Sanabria, which is something of a hidden gem, very picturesque with a nice castle to visit

Stayed in the Hotel Victoria, it doesn't look much from the outside but inside it's superbe

No it sounds interesting thanks because I want to avoid Salamanca because I stayed there a couple of years ago and although it was fantastic I feel that I don't want to do it again so soon
So to divert North after Segovia would make sense and set me up to go over to Portugal and the top end of the Douro valley area
These are all great ideas because I want to have places in mind so that we make the most of our trip - thanks again

Salamanca was my favourite city on my 2013 tour of northern Spain, closely followed by Santiago and Avila, but I'd like to revisit Segovia :beerjug:

13a5b72ba07fe97f93081fe45ba8f456.jpg

f56b61a228370c823da36858077d5cc1.jpg

5b56a0bde30680eb93bd661beede0b4c.jpg

I would suggest the N621 around the reservoir past Riana, then pick up the N625 at Cisterna - we chased some Guardia over here once, in my Hayabusa days, rocking along at the steady ton wherever they could. Stop at Leon if you want some history, it's on the Camino & the Hostal San Marcos is an amazing place to stay. Otherwise keep south through Mansilla to Sta Maria del Paramo. Keep heading SW onto the LE125 to Puebla de Sanabria - it's a nice stop, as leadfarmer says. We have stayed at the Parador, to the north of the river, several times. Then it's south, over the pass to Braganca - this road was poor in places last time we used it, so take care.

I am not sure of your destination in Portugal - the routes in the north need chosing with care. On some it is difficult to make any reasonable timely progress. Tell us more if you need any ideas.

Enjoy the trip ................. KEN

You could go to Salamanca stay a night if you wish, its well worth a visit, and then down to Caceres a gem of a place to see the old town. You can then cut across to Portugal. In Salamanca try and find the space man carved into the entrance to the cathedral ( there are two cathedrals ) only 5 mins walk apart, the space man is on the one on the higher ground. I wont tell you why the space man is there.

Have a look at 'Ride Magazines' Portugal Routes.............................Will me Doing that in May.

Have a look at 'Ride Magazines' Portugal Routes.............................Will me Doing that in May.

I'm going in June - you'll have to tell me where you went John :thumb

You could go to Salamanca stay a night if you wish, its well worth a visit, and then down to Caceres a gem of a place to see the old town. You can then cut across to Portugal. In Salamanca try and find the space man carved into the entrance to the cathedral ( there are two cathedrals ) only 5 mins walk apart, the space man is on the one on the higher ground. I wont tell you why the space man is there.

I never did manage to find the spaceman but I did find the frog, which according to the legend means I will come back to Salamanca some day, and that's fine by me :thumb2

I'm going in June - you'll have to tell me where you went John :thumb

Sure will.......................I will report back.
Have a look at the 'Ride routes'..............................There is one bit that they refer to as the Portuguese Stelvio

See here :-

NB. The GPX files are given in the Guide:-Google Ride Magazine -Portugal

In Search of the Portuguese Stelvio
Main route* Distance 85 miles **Download GPX file
Route 2**GPX file******Route 3**GPX file*****Route 4**GPX file**
A ride around... Chaves
Main route* Distance 170 miles **Download GPX file
Route 2****GPX file*******Route 3***GPX file*
A ride around... Serta
Main route* Distance 190 miles **Download GPX file
Route 2***GPX file******
A ride around... Elvas
See the route* Distance 170 miles **Download GPX file
The best road in the world
See the route* Distance 185 miles **Download GPX file
A ride around... Luz
See the route* Distance 185 miles **Download GPX file
A ride around... Mertola
See the route* Distance 195 miles **Download GPX file
Route 2**GPX file
The RiDE Tour of Portugal

Day One** Santander to Sahagun * 140 miles **Download GPX file
Day Two***Sahagun to Vila Real 245 miles **Download GPX file
Day Three* Vila Real to Serta 205 miles **Download GPX file
Day Four** Serta to Luz * 270 miles **Download GPX file
Day Five** Luz to Elvas ** 245 miles **Download GPX file
Day Six** Elvas to Covilha * 225 miles **Download GPX file
Day Seven** Covilha to Chaves * 200 miles **Download GPX file
Day Seven - alternative route** 250 miles **Download GPX file
Day Eight** Chaves to Astorga * 225 miles **Download GPX file
Day Nine** Astorga to Santander * 230 miles **Download GPX file

I never did manage to find the spaceman but I did find the frog, which according to the legend means I will come back to Salamanca some day, and that's fine by me :thumb2

I never found the frog..........:thumb2

We'll be there in a couple of weeks as it happens, so will look out for the spaceman.
And a frog as well, excellent.

Is there an ISpy book for the town ?

I would suggest the N621 around the reservoir past Riana, then pick up the N625 at Cisterna - we chased some Guardia over here once, in my Hayabusa days, rocking along at the steady ton wherever they could. Stop at Leon if you want some history, it's on the Camino & the Hostal San Marcos is an amazing place to stay. Otherwise keep south through Mansilla to Sta Maria del Paramo. Keep heading SW onto the LE125 to Puebla de Sanabria - it's a nice stop, as leadfarmer says. We have stayed at the Parador, to the north of the river, several times. Then it's south, over the pass to Braganca - this road was poor in places last time we used it, so take care.

I am not sure of your destination in Portugal - the routes in the north need chosing with care. On some it is difficult to make any reasonable timely progress. Tell us more if you need any ideas.

Enjoy the trip ................. KEN
Really interesting Ken - thank you
I like the look of it and keeping clear of Leon where we have been before
As for Portugal we haven't got a plan other than maybe Pinhao and the Douro valley and ultimately probably down to Costa de la luz and Jerez then eventually round to Cartagena for the missus to see the Ampitheatre
We have been before and went to Aviero the othe side of the river from a Porto but wanted to just explore nice places preferably not tourist traps

Back
Top Bottom