New 800 impulse buy

GS_Mad

Reaction score
I have a 1200 GS, 12k miles on a 12 plate, had it a few years now and I love it. Was in the BMW dealers the other day and he offered me a new GSA at 10k to change.

Looking around, I found an 800 GS, 2016 model with 1k on the clock for 8 grand. How can a new 1200 make sense?

I offered £7,300 cash on the 800 and we did the deal.

So, I've got 2 bikes now. Never ridden an 800 before but pick it up next week. Pretty excited, think I might just stick some TKC'c on do some light trails

12k on 'in a few years' ... FFS lad, whatya been doing :blast

You'll probably find you'll be using the 800 far more than the 12 :D

Ha ha .... welcome to the world of real GS's :augie

Hope you enjoy it ... if you didn't know 125,000 miles on mine now and going as nicely as the day I broke it out the crate :thumb

Enjoy

:beerjug:

Yes, I did know about your very impressive mileage Micky - i read your detailed thread only the other day - quality. 3 k miles a year max for me - 40k miles a year in my car - I need to work on the work / life balance!!

Yes, I did know about your very impressive mileage Micky - i read your detailed thread only the other day - quality. 3 k miles a year max for me - 40k miles a year in my car - I need to work on the work / life balance!!

Yes for sure .... work gets in the way ;)

:beerjug:

Well, I've had my new 800 for about a month now. I've only added 110 miles to the 1k it already had. Really like the bike, but I guess after only 110 miles, I don't know much about it.

I've also managed a very low 80 miles on my 1200 in the last month.

Hoping to get a good ride in the weekend. My lack of opportunity to ride is very frustrating!!

Dean.

I have a 1200 GS, 12k miles on a 12 plate, had it a few years now and I love it. Was in the BMW dealers the other day and he offered me a new GSA at 10k to change.

Looking around, I found an 800 GS, 2016 model with 1k on the clock for 8 grand. How can a new 1200 make sense?

I offered £7,300 cash on the 800 and we did the deal.

So, I've got 2 bikes now. Never ridden an 800 before but pick it up next week. Pretty excited, think I might just stick some TKC'c on do some light trails

I have a 10 year old R1200GS, 72000 miles and had it from new. I considered changing it for an F800GS so went to Balderstons and test rode their demonstrator. Luckily I had the test ride before I bought one because I wouldn't put it in the same league as a 1200. I suppose I'm used to the 1200 brakes, suspension (dive etc). I was also disappointed with the level of vibration. I have been using my other half's 2010 F650GS from time to time, so I do have a bit of experience of the 'F' and I must say the F650GS seems nicer than the 800. Just my two penneth......

I have a 10 year old R1200GS, 72000 miles and had it from new. I considered changing it for an F800GS so went to Balderstons and test rode their demonstrator. Luckily I had the test ride before I bought one because I wouldn't put it in the same league as a 1200. I suppose I'm used to the 1200 brakes, suspension (dive etc). I was also disappointed with the level of vibration. I have been using my other half's 2010 F650GS from time to time, so I do have a bit of experience of the 'F' and I must say the F650GS seems nicer than the 800. Just my two penneth......

700GS is even better with the twin discs & ESA rear suspension...

you will love the GS8 i got one for riding around on in the shite weather on the shite roads, to save my RT from getting "attacked@ by Salt and shit everytime.....I ride the GS more than the RT now , Love it

Well, a quick update. I really love the 800 - so much so that the 1200 wasn't getting a look in and has just been sold. I've done just over 2k miles and I ve a 2 week trip to the Pyrenees in September. Awesome.

700GS is even better with the twin discs & ESA rear suspension...

:thumb2 Although I haven't got the ESA rear suspension (less to go wrong imho) I can vouch this is a very compitent bike indeed.

Well, a quick update. I really love the 800 - so much so that the 1200 wasn't getting a look in and has just been sold. I've done just over 2k miles and I ve a 2 week trip to the Pyrenees in September. Awesome.

Enjoy your tour, no worries about reliability. Bulletproof motor.:thumb2

Oh, I forgot to mention that Micky's bike is bombproof as well.:D:beerjug:

Living proof regarding the reliability of the parallel twin.:bow

Now back from the Pyrenees - wow, the 800 is perfect in every way. Did 3k miles and have 5.5k on the bike now. The bike is so easy, comfy, no back ache, completed a few good off road trails, reliable, light, quick enough.

No regrets on selling the 12 what so ever. My 800 still has over a years warranty, only cost 7.5k cash, I've added all the bits I want such as bash plate, engine bars, hand guards, brake lever extender, mud slinger....

Micky having 132k on his makes me think I've got miles of smiles to go - all with little more spend. What a bike.

I love the 800

Quick update,

Another year of smiles. Only upto 7k miles on the 800 (work balance and all that) but still enjoying the bike. Still under warranty for another couple of months but absolutely no issues..

I did miss the 1200 though, so I did buy a new LC 1200 earlier in the year, which I have also put a couple of thousand miles on.

My problem is - the bike I love the most, is the last bike I rode - bikes are ace

Back
Top Bottom