Looking for an ADV Style Helmet - Suggestions Welcome!

arealhuman

Reaction score
Hi,

Now I've got hold of a GS, I need an ADV helmet to go with it. I've been looking around online and there's lots out there as you can imagine. I would be very grateful for suggestions, and my requirements might mean no such helmet exists! But anyway, rather than go to my local dealer and but from a limited selection, I'm looking for something that:

• is suitable to wear prescription glasses under.
  • is relatively quiet (I wear ear plugs when I ride, always have, but longer term I'd like to wire in a comms system and I guess that won't work too well with earplugs!)
  • can accept a comms system (never used one, but I think space is needed for the ear pieces/mic)
  • can be fitted with a dark visor.
  • the peak doesn't rip your head off at motorway speeds.
  • doesn't mist too badly (problems made worse when wearing specs)

I've seen a Tourtech Aventuro and that seems to tick a lot of boxes, but it looks very expesnive. Anyone used one before? Oh, and I don't really want a flip-up helmet.

Many thanks for any suggestions :)

ARH.

The shoie Adv lids are good, I have had the DS hornet since they came out
I got the latest version last year ,and it's quite an improvement again :thumb2

Though I am bound to say ,I only use ADV type helmets when I am going somewhere that's likely to have extremely strong sunlight , the return of the time Uk /Europe I use a standard road lid

I've got a Touratech helmet..........for sale! So maybe not too expensive after all!
Send me a pm if you like? It's a size large.

Thanks all for the pointers, will do some research later.

Florence - can I ask why you're selling your helmet? It probably won't fit me in large :-|

Thanks all for the pointers, will do some research later.

Florence - can I ask why you're selling your helmet? It probably won't fit me in large :-|

I have quite a lot of helmets and I'm having a new relationship with a bell moto 3 at the moment :nenau.
Touratech one is a white/yellow/black, 2 visors, lots of spare bits of shite I'm not fussed to sell it really but it's here if you want to try it on?

Hi,

Now I've got hold of a GS, I need an ADV helmet to go with it. I've been looking around online and there's lots out there as you can imagine. I would be very grateful for suggestions, and my requirements might mean no such helmet exists! But anyway, rather than go to my local dealer and but from a limited selection, I'm looking for something that:

• is suitable to wear prescription glasses under.
  • is relatively quiet (I wear ear plugs when I ride, always have, but longer term I'd like to wire in a comms system and I guess that won't work too well with earplugs!)
  • can accept a comms system (never used one, but I think space is needed for the ear pieces/mic)
  • can be fitted with a dark visor.
  • the peak doesn't rip your head off at motorway speeds.
  • doesn't mist too badly (problems made worse when wearing specs)

I've seen a Tourtech Aventuro and that seems to tick a lot of boxes, but it looks very expesnive. Anyone used one before? Oh, and I don't really want a flip-up helmet.

Many thanks for any suggestions :)

ARH.

Why do you need an adventure helmet? Why not choose a helmet based on your usage? Adventure helmets are that shape because they're derived from motocross helmets that needed to be used with goggles but provide chin protection and a lot of ventilation at the same time. It's just fashion. I just bought my third Nolan, an N40 Full. Designed and made in Italy. (Just wait for the jokes...) It's convertible from open to full face and homologated in both variants. It has great adjustable ventilation, drop down sun visor and a fantastic peak which you can lower if you're riding into the setting sun. All for less than £150. Buy it on eBay. Most of the adverts have a sizing chart. I just measured my head and the helmet fits perfect. And Nolan prepare them all for their comms system, although personally I don't want to be in a conversation with anyone when I'm riding my bike.
Steve.

Used an X-lite X-551 for sometime now (covered about 10k)
1. use prescription glasses when riding
2. fitted with internal drop down sun visor (best thing on a helmet in my opinion)
3. fitted with sena 20s intercom easily
4. not bad noise at speed (but wear ear plugs anyway)

Middle of the range price but worth every penny
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mo.../203379?r=GS&gclid=CJzHj9rvq9ICFVXnGwodoTEFoA

+1 for the x lite...best lid I have had for general use. Works well with or without the visor. Sun visor screen is excellent as well as the pinlock.

I have had the shoei and Tour X both great quality but the 551 is the better alrounder IMO with a peak that works well on the road....and much better quality than the Nexx IMO. Some great deals around at the moment on last years pattern.

Cheers

I've had the Tour X4. I didn't like it as it would leave an indentaion on my forehead every time I took it off. And it was heavy.

I then got the Shoei Hornet DS. Initially it was great, but I got rid, as it pressed on my ears, causing discomfort after wearing over the course of a day.

I'm currently using a normal helmet, but now want another adventure helmet, as I miss the peak, when the sun is low.

Has anyone had the issues I've had with the Arai and Shoei, and moved to the Nexx, or the X551? With the deals on the X551, I'm very tempted. How do the Nexx/ X551 sizes compare to the Arai/ Shoei? I'm small in Arai, and Medium in Shoei.

Have you tried the Schuberth E1? If not, I'd recommend it, if only to see whether it fits or not (as an Arai man for the last 20 years, it is a different fit, but I'm getting used to it).

Fitted with a Sena 10U it suits me (I have removed the peak for motorway miles though, I take the side 'pods' with me in my tank bag for when the peak is removed).

Good hunting! Definitely try before you buy though!!

Andy

I've had the Tour X4. I didn't like it as it would leave an indentaion on my forehead every time I took it off. And it was heavy.

I then got the Shoei Hornet DS. Initially it was great, but I got rid, as it pressed on my ears, causing discomfort after wearing over the course of a day.

I'm currently using a normal helmet, but now want another adventure helmet, as I miss the peak, when the sun is low.

Has anyone had the issues I've had with the Arai and Shoei, and moved to the Nexx, or the X551? With the deals on the X551, I'm very tempted. How do the Nexx/ X551 sizes compare to the Arai/ Shoei? I'm small in Arai, and Medium in Shoei.

I wear a large in a Shoei (well neotec anyway) but before I bought the Shoei I was trying on X-Lites and the large also fit well.

if that helps...

I wear a large in a Shoei (well neotec anyway) but before I bought the Shoei I was trying on X-Lites and the large also fit well.

if that helps...

Darn, I was hoping they'd be the same as Arai, as the X551 I like is on offer at £229, but it's only available in small!

Shoei adventure for me, always had x spirits and this is in the same league, very comfy for all day use, relatively quiet considering it's a peak and not as affected by wind as you might think. I use it with stereo speakers from an interfone f5 and the speakers are an exact fit for the depression next to your ear so you don't even know they are there and they work well with earplugs

BMW carbon enduro helmet got one really pleased with it.

Seems to fit most if not all your criteria, it's light, quiet, can easily fit comms and comes with pin lock fitted.

Back
Top Bottom