Looking for an ADV Style Helmet - Suggestions Welcome!

Thanks all for the new replies. Lots of research to do!

@ SteveR - I'm definitely not a follower of fashion ;-) I currently have a race rep helmet for another bike and also ride off road too (not on the GS!). A helmet that can do all three would be welcome and whilst I can understand the drawbacks of a peak on the road, I can also understand the positives too, such as helping reduce glare.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I eventually went for the Touratech Aventuro. Not ridden masses of miles with it yet, but so far, so good. Also, the peak doesn't seem to get grabbed by airflow which was one of my main worries.

Darn, I was hoping they'd be the same as Arai, as the X551 I like is on offer at £229, but it's only available in small!

The Nishua Enduro is good.

A load of us bought them when they were on offer for € 199 a year or so back.

Still good value.

Its a re-branded UVEX.I wear mine all the time locally and then use Neotech on long trips.

The Nishua is very light and comfortable.Not the quietest but I always wear ear plugs anyway !!

5b5be4266f3e9b92ef864c5c411b2529.jpg
bf15f849a17036586352334255df51f4.jpg

The Nishua Enduro is good.

A load of us bought them when they were on offer for € 199 a year or so back.

Still good value.

Its a re-branded UVEX.I wear mine all the time locally and then use Neotech on long trips.

The Nishua is very light and comfortable.Not the quietest but I always wear ear plugs anyway !!

5b5be4266f3e9b92ef864c5c411b2529.jpg
bf15f849a17036586352334255df51f4.jpg

I have the Touratech one. If temped by these suggest you looks at the sound Insulation ( there's a chin pad built I got he helmet that fell out first trip, Touratech replaced it and it fell out) and buffeting from wind because do the wide side-on profile.

Bought a NEXX XD1. It went back the next day as the seal was puckered, large gaps around seal and visor and overall quality flimsy. Shame really as I liked the overall design. It's a good price but when you compare with Shoei or Schuberth for example, the quality is in a different league.

Modular all the way AFAIC

The Arair Tour X4 is about the best non-modular ADV helmet I've used but the Schuberth E1 is hands down the best ADV helmet on the market IMO. It's based on the modular C3 Pro so it flips up which is great, its super comfy, very quiet and has decent ventilation. It has an internal sun visor, it comes with a pinlock already fitted so no fog. It has a ratchet fitting instead of a D-ring, which I prefer and the visor is a doddle to change if you want to, as is removing the peak, if you want to. I wear specs and custom ear plugs without issues and have a Scala Q3 fitted with a stick on mount and a Drift Stealth POV camera. The adjustable peak shakes a bit at speed but it's not a deal breaker. They are a bit expensive but deals can be had. The Touratech version is a bit more off road oriented with the goggle strap retainer and rear air exhaust vents.

The Arair Tour X4 is about the best non-modular ADV helmet I've used but the Schuberth E1 is hands down the best ADV helmet on the market IMO. It's based on the modular C3 Pro so it flips up which is great, its super comfy, very quiet and has decent ventilation. It has an internal sun visor, it comes with a pinlock already fitted so no fog. It has a ratchet fitting instead of a D-ring, which I prefer and the visor is a doddle to change if you want to, as is removing the peak, if you want to. I wear specs and custom ear plugs without issues and have a Scala Q3 fitted with a stick on mount and a Drift Stealth POV camera. The adjustable peak shakes a bit at speed but it's not a deal breaker. They are a bit expensive but deals can be had. The Touratech version is a bit more off road oriented with the goggle strap retainer and rear air exhaust vents.

Stephen, what's the noise level like (E1) with the chin vent open? My wife has a c3 pro and it's quiet when shut but hurricane sound levels when open.

I like both E1 and Touratech Aventuro Mod, I think Aventuro Mod, should have a better ventilation than E1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mate selling a e1 touratech helmet in large. Only wore twice and doesnt like it

The Nishua looks good, not heard of that brand before. So far, I'm liking the Touratech Aventuro, although I've only tried it in its ADV form. I use it with the chin curtain off as I find my specs steam up when riding at slower, local road speeds, but this makes it quite breezy inside on the motorway. I'll refit it and see if I can live with it in place all the time ;-)

I've found the E1 to be tight on the chin, much more than previous Schuberth's I've had.
I know your nose keeps growing but not you chin!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've found the E1 to be tight on the chin, much more than previous Schuberth's I've had.
I know your nose keeps growing but not you chin!

What makes it tight, are the little YKK zips and tucked away ends from the straps.

Solution, slightly unzip the zip by 1",
And pull out the chin strap loose end from inside the cheek pads.

This cured the problem for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've ditched the wind protector and played with the straps. But it is round the zips.
And I'm not David Coulthard

I looked at a number of adventure style lids (unable to actually find a local dealer with the Shark or Nexx adventure lids to try on) and eventually due to an excellent deal from Just Helmets bought a Shoei Hornet Adventure at the back end of last year .

Had tried it a couple of times locally on the CCM but never on the GSA so went for a 250 mile run today, absolutely no buffeting, reasonably quiet but not up to Schuberth levels of silence, absolutely fantastic visor and visor mechanism (better than the C3 PRO ) and no niggles or presssure points plus quite good ventilation

Looks like it may be my new local runs lid and keep the C3 PRO for touring.

Only negative is the lack of a drop down sun visor BUT the peak does stop a load of glare so it isn't a deal breaker

just bringing this back up.....OP how do you now rate the Touratech one since you will have bedded it in ?

just bringing this back up.....OP how do you now rate the Touratech one since you will have bedded it in ?
I like it. The biggest downside is that it presses against my forehead which I begin to notice after about 90 minutes with it on. After about 2 hours this becomes unbearable so I find I have to stop and take the helmet off for five minutes or so then start over. I've only used it in the ADV configuration (peak and visor) and the peak does not get grabbed by wind blast at motorway speeds with the screen on my LC fully up (it's OK with the screen down too but I have to have a slightly downwards tilt of my head to stop the peak getting grabbed). With the screen up, I can only feel the peak get grabbed when I look over my shoulder at these speeds. For lower speeds it's fine. I guess I'm around 5'8" if that helps.

I can also wear my glasses underneath it without and problem, they slide in and out with no problem, although the downside to this is they can move a little when on the move but I don't find this an issue (my race rep helmet holds them firmly so they don't move at all, but they're much harder to put on with the helmet on).

Ventilation - I don't really notice any incoming air from the vents on the top of the helmet, unless I tilt my head a bit, then I can feel it blasting in. Maybe the screen deflects so well, this is why I don't notice it. The mouth vent seems OK. I wear the chin curtain as I found that it was really breezy around the lower face when I bought (plus it was colder then too).

Build quality looks good around the shell, although the chin curtain doesn't really snap in place on the provided lugs - on one side it just sort of hangs there but is secure enough. When I first got it and put in the dark visor, I was a bit disappointed about the quality of the visor mechanism. It didn't seem very robust, but I've had no issues with it and everything works as it should, so nothing to be concerned about.

Overall I'm very pleased with it, it looks the part, and has the bonus of being used in different configurations (road and dirt in addition to ADV). I really need to do some experimenting with forehead pressure, maybe by using the extra padding that came with it, as this is the biggest downside, and I've started to take a paracetamol with me now to increase my initial ride time! Any suggestion on this greatly appreciated!!! ;-) I should also ay my race rep helemt also gives me the same headache problem, but I can ride longer with that on. Maybe I just have a weird head!

I guess I've probably covered about 2000 miles in it now, not that I've been counting. I hope that helps :-D

Last edited:
thanks for that...my concern is the wind grabbing the peak , i use the smaller rallye screen at present in the warm weather,so looks like this might get grabbed from the off . Need to try before I buy really but not found anyone doing this .considering the cost of these items I thought it might happen. Arai did something a couple of years back on try before you buy,wish it had caught on

thanks for that...my concern is the wind grabbing the peak , i use the smaller rallye screen at present in the warm weather,so looks like this might get grabbed from the off . Need to try before I buy really but not found anyone doing this .considering the cost of these items I thought it might happen. Arai did something a couple of years back on try before you buy,wish it had caught on

Sorry, my post was a bit confusing. The wind grabbing isn't bad at all and screen on the LC is quite small, so overall I'm pleased with this aspect of it. I guess you could always give Touratech a call and see if you can try before you buy.

Back
Top Bottom