Riding to Rome....

BeemerBaz

Reaction score
June 2018 I'm riding down to Rome for meeting, weekend there, 3 days either side travelling to and from.

Any recommendations of routes, unmissable roads or tunnels etc

Stelvio, Mont Blanc etc have been suggested.

Thanks.

Hello Dearest, Fancy meeting you here. Just got back from the Alps, in the car. Top tip stay of the main roads. boring as an afternoon with a Rockape.

Have some routes etc, I used a couple of years ago, will look through and sort them out for ya.

meanwhile...fancy a 10 day trip round Germany, end of next month?

Gis a shout on Faceache.
xx

Rome is by far the most combative riding environment I have experienced, sloping roads shod in cobbles, suicidal tourists who have no idea where they are going, maniacal scooter riders who know exactly where they are going, Fiat (other brands are available) drivers who don't give a feck where they are going, slovenly untidy seemingly abandoned roadworks and a laconic immaculately attired police force who make vague gestures as to where they want you to go all add up to an experience you won't forget, should you survive.

Top tip: Please try and avoid the ring road at night.

Hello Dearest, Fancy meeting you here. Just got back from the Alps, in the car. Top tip stay of the main roads. boring as an afternoon with a Rockape.

Have some routes etc, I used a couple of years ago, will look through and sort them out for ya.

meanwhile...fancy a 10 day trip round Germany, end of next month?

Gis a shout on Faceache.
xx

Are you a stalker

I can't afford any exotic trips this year due to both kids getting married in Sept (not to each other, that would be wrong, unless your from Norfolk)

Still enjoying your triple black ?

Rome is by far the most combative riding environment I have experienced, sloping roads shod in cobbles, suicidal tourists who have no idea where they are going, maniacal scooter riders who know exactly where they are going, Fiat (other brands are available) drivers who don't give a feck where they are going, slovenly untidy seemingly abandoned roadworks and a laconic immaculately attired police force who make vague gestures as to where they want you to go all add up to an experience you won't forget, should you survive.

Top tip: Please try and avoid the ring road at night.

Sounds like I best keep the aluminium luggage on the bike for added protection

ps - we cheated and went via Barcelona, then overnight ferry to just North of Rome (Citivecchia ?)

You could go to Grenoble and do the Route Napoleon.
Then cross to the east cost of Italy. Ravenna area is lovely.
There are some forests you can go through popular with bikers.
I hate the coast road from Pisa to Rome.

Being from Rome... I've done it a few times with the motorbike (and a lot of times by car).

I've gone through Switzerland the most: London - Nancy, Nancy - Milan (going through a few passes around the Susten) then Milan to Rome, going through Val D'Orcia in Tuscany, basically riding the Cassia all the way down to Rome.

I've done the Route Napoleon variation a few years back, when riding m GS back to London from my mechanic in Italy, with a mate in March (too early to go go through Switzerland) and it's amazing too.
In that case we left Rome, via Cassia till around Florence, then took the FI-PI-LI towards the sea and proceeded to reach a B&B near the border with France.
Day after we had breakfast in Montecarlo a then Napoleon till Dijon. Last day is the boring bit to Calais, even though this September (I went to Ventimiglia for a couple of days) I found a nicer B road variation that eliminates a long stretch of motorway (if you wanna get to Rome in 3 days, there is a fair bit of motorways included here and there to speed up some bits).

Last but not least, I've rode to Rome for just a weekend once (had to attend to a wedding).
To speed up things, I've experimented using the train as well, so: London/Paris-Nice/Rome and then way back through Switzerland as above. That's 2 days going down, 2 days in Rome, and 3 days traveling back.

This is the way back :)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wBInuM2Yq_I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I should have some (messy) GPS routes on my computer.

Innit? :D :D

By the way, the east coast road from Pisa to Rome you refer to might be Aurelia that, yes, it's a piece of shit. Just inland, doing Cassia (SR2) is another story. But there are quite a few interesting variations to come south, crossing the Appenninis or not.

Back
Top Bottom