3 day trip from St Malo

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Booked a ferry to St Malo arriving 8am 26th May, leaving again 10.30am Mon 29th.

Where could I get to, that's interesting, in that time, preferably via nice road? La Rochelle? Limoges area? don't want to do hardcore 500 mile days though. Western side of France Is not an area I know well, so suggestions welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have done that crossing and depending how quickly you can get off the boat (we were upstairs so last off) it took us most of the day to get to Limoges although that was using mixed roads so can be done quicker. Interesting area though so I would leave it until you have more time. Less might be more with your limited time and although not the most fun Brittany has quite a lot to offer for a short visit!

How about lunch and a walk around Mont StMichel...then carry on East and check out the museum in Ste.Mere Eglise....with a stop over...other D Day bits to follow :thumb2
Lazy riding days too

Where are your staying? Hotel or camp?
Golf du morbiyan is pretty impressive and the sun sets are spectacular. Some interesting standing stones if that's your bag.
Given 3 days I'd ride west through Britanny down to Loire then follow loire back to blois-ish before returning St malo (which is also worth a good few hours).

Chez Joel restaurant lieurey is the best value blow out restaurant I've ever been to!

Agree with blade runner, Concarneau, Lorient, Carnac and Vannes are good places to visit and not long distances. Good choice of different accommodation depending on what you are planning.

Al.

Thanks for the replies. I don't think it makes any odds, but we're actually in (ahem) the car but it's still about enjoying the French roads and French grub. We'll be in hotels, and planning on the last night in or near St Malo, so recommendations welcome.

I've been round the Brittany coast on the bike, and found it tedious with terrible traffic and seaside towns which weren't pretty but were full of old people and traffic calming - not what I was expecting at all! Also visited the submarine yards at St Nazareth on that trip,

Last year was a bit of Loire Valley, stayed in Amboise, which was very pretty and we can just about fit a case of wine in so that was nice.

Options galore.

One would be to potter down to Rider's Rest to stay with Rob and Mandy.

You could get there on day 1 then do a day trip out the next day on either this or this depending on the mileage you want to do.

The Limousin is stunning.

I personally wouldn't bother going east to Mont St Michel etc as it's all a bit flat and boring but if you want to be near St Malo for your last night and like seafood,then stay at La Mere Champlain in Cancale.

Its my default last night on most trips and the seafood is stunning,especially the fruits de mer platter or the sole.

Or you could head west and potter around the pink granite coast to Ploumanach and beyond.

This is a great hotel and location at Castel Beau Site

Ooh, Golf du Morbihan looks nice! Any hotel or at least recommendations for villages/ towns to stay?

I camped near auray.
I'm sure you could find a good logis hotel.
A boat trip would be a fine evening.

Options galore.

One would be to potter down to Rider's Rest to stay with Rob and Mandy.

You could get there on day 1 then do a day trip out the next day on either this or this depending on the mileage you want to do.

The Limousin is stunning.

I personally wouldn't bother going east to Mont St Michel etc as it's all a bit flat and boring but if you want to be near St Malo for your last night and like seafood,then stay at La Mere Champlain in Cancale.

Its my default last night on most trips and the seafood is stunning,especially the fruits de mer platter or the sole.

Or you could head west and potter around the pink granite coast to Ploumanach and beyond.

This is a great hotel and location at Castel Beau Site

Thanks! Booked La Mer Champlain for the last night - looks great!

Or go stay on Ile De Brehat for the night if the weather is good.Its stunning.

You just park opposite and get a boat over.Lovely hotel right opposite the harbour called Hôtel Belle Vue

If going to Morbihan,go west to explore Quiberon.

I camped near auray.
I'm sure you could find a good logis hotel.
A boat trip would be a fine evening.

Thanks for that - there is a nice Logis, and Auray looks nice. What about Vannes? The pics on the inter web make it look nice

Vannes is a good place to visit, nice cafes, bars and places to wander round.

Al.

If you're looking for the last night near to St Malo have a look at Dinan. Last time we stayed at the Mercure hotel in Dinan port just on the south bank of the river Rance. An easy drive to the ferry terminal at St Malo.

Thanks! Booked La Mer Champlain for the last night - looks great!

Good lad ! You'll love it. Have the sole meuniere !! Amazing.

If you're looking for the last night near to St Malo have a look at Dinan. Last time we stayed at the Mercure hotel in Dinan port just on the south bank of the river Rance. An easy drive to the ferry terminal at St Malo.

Good choice too.Le Jerzual.Funny enough that's my first hotel for my April trip,and La Mere Champlain above is my last.The rest I'm going to make up as I go,along with choice of bike !

Back
Top Bottom