Nelson 2 - The Sequel

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
27th February 2017

I sleep very well. My 4th floor room looks out onto a square containing a car park which is surrounded by shops, bars and restaurants - but the sounds are never obtrusive...

I extend my stay for a further night and then ablute, dress and take a walk around town...

IMG_3428-X3.jpg

There are lots of these signs on the pavements - this one was slightly unusual as it appeared directly outside a bar with outside seating...

IMG_3429-X3.jpg

I think I'll try this place out for dinner this evening or breakfast tomorrow...

IMG_3431-X3.jpg

Neat provision of 'hard points' to chain your bicycle to...

I end up at a locksmith. Ever since I discovered my spare key had gone missing back on day one, I've lived in fear of losing my key. Unfortunately, this fear has usually manifested itself in the middle of the night when I can't sleep. I manage to get a pair of spares cut for $18 (£9) - a cheap price for peace of mind...
biggrin.gif

Whilst they were being cut I notice these very neat smoke detectors - I was almost tempted to buy a set then realised I'd have to cover the holes left by the ones I removed etc and put the thought out of my head...

IMG_3433-X3.jpg

It's a gorgeous day - 75°F and sunny...

IMG_3435-X3.jpg

Nelson has a nice city centre...

IMG_3438-X3.jpg

This mural caught my eye...

IMG_3437-X3.jpg

...although the eyes on this couple terrified me...
eek7.gif

IMG_3441-X3.jpg

Some wag has altered this poster (I wondered if it was printed like this, but it was definitely done with a magic marker)...

IMG_3443-X3.jpg

Random piece of marble sculpture - and nearby...

IMG_3445-X3.jpg

Hone (pronounced Ho-Knee) - a homeless man who is protesting about his treatment by the government, the SPCA (RSPCA equivalent) and anything else you have to offer. He is quite entertaining and I buy him a coffee and chat to him for fifteen minutes or so. He used to live in a gypsy caravan (the traditional type, drawn by a horse), but "The government seized it". He then lived on front of a government office until he was turfed out after a couple of years and now lives - opposite a NZ Govt camera - on this wide part of the pavement in central Nelson.

He's a bit of a loon (but you'd probably guessed that already), but pleasant and harmless, so I wish him well...

IMG_3446-X3.jpg

Probably time for a spot of lunch, what?

IMG_3448-X3.jpg

I pop into the Panama next to my hotel and have some delicious calamari...

IMG_3447-X3.jpg

...and a pint or two of Peroni, naturally...
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom