Bumblebee ripe for a restoration.......let's go go go

Wow, I can't believe it's the same bike that I saw just a few weeks ago. Transformed! :thumby::drool

Excuse my hi-jack Florence.....:bow

Mark this is my early R100gs.....couldn't attach the photos via a pm, sorry.

She's real purty, but I don't think the 'Basic' type single seat & rack would fit the standard subframe. BaMW used to sell Basic replica subframes to shorten a Paralever's long bum until about a year ago, but I don't know where one would come from today. The basic subframe's bracing is in a slightly different place to the G/S too, so the rack part won't let it fit properly on mine.

:D:hijacked. :D

Looks just like another one you did, the one sat in my garage. It will be worth what I paid for it one day, maybe soon. The feeling I get when I open the garage door and take it for a ride is priceless, for everything else there is Barclay card, as the advert went.

The 1991 appreciating GS is sat next to the 2015 depreciating RT so it nearly evens out, I hope.

How did the engine blasting go? Worth it? Was it a full strip down to do it properly?

Attachments

• IMG_20160630_100524622.jpg
    IMG_20160630_100524622.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 277
Hi Nick, how's Thailand? Now it's bike weather we should be meeting at seaways,It's not the same without you pal.
There's only one way to vapour blast and I'm afraid to say it's a strip down.
I took the bike over to Barrie Robsons and can report it's now got a full mot. I'm just going through the registration process from Dutch to British. I've taken a few more photos of the finished bike ( I'm not happy with the brake lines so new ones on order ) well almost any way.
Ive been out for a quick blast to the Church and back ( to christen it ) and all is god :D

Photos of the bike as near as finished.....

Thanks for all the nice comments it's very inspiring and makes me want to do another,maybe a nice R1200GS to look like an old G/S......

I might bring over to Mikeyboy's and put a for sale sticker on it :augie

Well your right about the spend :blast I've stopped adding it up. Yes Wilbers shock just been fitted and the luggage is in really good condition too. We'll see what happens then matey :thumb2

The welsh lot (colwyn bay) sell imported hi mileage airheads for big money. They have a 45k gspd on for £8k. So you have to be well north of that. My opinion for what it's worth...

Thanks Colin, lets see how it goes. Those documents arrived today and 2 black circles :bounce1

The welsh lot (colwyn bay) sell imported hi mileage airheads for big money. They have a 45k gspd on for £8k. So you have to be well north of that. My opinion for what it's worth...
Not looked at their bikes to be honest,but I'll wager they are not prepped to this standard.
Old air heads are what they are,this one has been completely apart,and no expense spared,complete with rebuild photos!
Can't think of many dealers doing that:augie
Anyway this one has 2 years warranty with an option to extend,all for less than a wc,
With index linked buyback,
That's what you said john:confused:

Well all the parts are under warranty! These bikes are useable,enjoyable investments and looked after they will be worth the asking price and more in years to come. That is a fact! New gs models are most definitely not going up in value and I know the build quality is no where near these old bikes. Did I say I can offer finance on this bike :thumb

As an investment,who knows,
Who could of said the value old Brit iron could achieve,but they are still rising!
As an everyday motorcycle,this bike will probably see both me and you out John,and still cost less to own on a yearly basis than buying a new beemer.

Who could of said the value old Brit iron could achieve,but they are still rising!
As an everyday motorcycle,this bike will probably see both me and you out John,and still cost less to own on a yearly basis than buying a new beemer.

Sounds like you are talking yourself into a purchase :eek:

Vastly better designed & built than old Brit iron (and I'm a hoarder of Meriden's output), more 'real' than Hinkley Triumph or BMW's current retro pastiche models (tho I love the style of the Ducati Dessert tray) good for millions of miles and capable of playing in the mud too. Just lovely.:thumb2

Even sat among so many bland modern bikes for around £11k this would still be my choice.

Back
Top Bottom