Holiday insurance cover

Greenson

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks , I am looking for any guidance available regarding any insurance company who offers general travel insurance which includes medical cover and personal belonging cover etc more appropriate for motorcycle touring.
I have a trip to Germany planned in June and am not too comfortable with my std travel insurance as it doesn't mention bike touring either way .
Am I being too cautious ?

that's a good thing - if there is no mention of motorcycles then they are not excluding riding them

it's rare for motorcycle sport or off roading not to be mentioned - have you checked the list of hazardous activities?

I download the pdf version of the full policy and use the search function

Try LV.com, I used them previously for bike tours abroad as they cover biking.

Navigator Travel, call Richard Would on 0161 973 6435 or have a look at www.navigatortravel.co.uk We have used them for the last 6 years. Richard knows his subject and what touring motorcyclists require.

Navigator Travel, call Richard Would on 0161 973 6435 or have a look at www.navigatortravel.co.uk We have used them for the last 6 years. Richard knows his subject and what touring motorcyclists require.

That's the guy i use for insuring bike trips ! you can do it on line as well but better to speak with a human IMO

Most normal travel insurance that i could find would not cover biking over 125 cc and classed it as hazardous in the list of exemptions.

The last thing you need in the depths of some foreign land is to bin the mighty steed break a leg or three and find that you have an enormous bill for medical and repatriation etc

The last thing you need in the depths of some foreign land is to bin the mighty steed break a leg or three and find that you have an enormous bill for medical and repatriation etc

There is a very sad thread on UKGSer where a bod (on I think his first trip) was killed in a crash in the south of France. His travel insurance had the maximum of 125cc limit, so paid nothing. Had he just slipped in the shower and broken his neck, he'd have been fine.

The advice is always the same:

1. Choose a policy that suits YOU, not the man next door or some unknown bod on the internet.

2. Many (but not all) free Travel policies given away with bank / financial products and / or Motor insurance cover are very limited.

3. Always read the policy. Wessie's tip of downloading the policy as a PDF and then searching for key words like: motor, motorbike, bike, motorcycle, cycle, vehicle, is a good one. That way you'll probably pick up all the relevant words. Then read the words in context with the rest of the policy. Most modern policies are written in very clear Janet and John language. If you are unsure, ask the vendor for clarification.

4. Take the policy with you on holiday, or at least take the contact phone numbers and policy number. Many travel insurers outsource their assistance services to third parties. These third parties most often will not do anything before knowing what your policy number is, so they can check your cover available.

5. Yours will not be the only claim the insurer or their assistance company will have ever seen or indeed the only claim they'll receive that day. The chances are they'll be dealing with multiple hundreds simultaneously. By and large they know what they are doing and how to help you best; tinker with their advice sometimes at your peril. If in doubt, see threads where bikermates have tried to be really clever but end up fecked.

I've used Staysure for years. Reasonable cost but never had to make a claim so don't know what they're like when it all gets messy

I've used Staysure for years. Reasonable cost but never had to make a claim so don't know what they're like when it all gets messy

best read this https://www.staysure.co.uk/sts-document-api//docs/policy-wording-latest?domain=STS11&underwriter=ERV - search for motorcycle and find the words:

Accepted activities
Motor cycling as a passenger or rider* (only if wearing
a helmet, the motorcycle is under 125cc and the rider
holds a valid motorcycle licence)

I'm looking to renew my travel insurance so gave them a look - like me, you need to look elsewhere - your current policy may cover you but check carefully each and every year before renewing as the fuckers often change terms from year to year

Get Going

As ever, these fellows have got my business. Biker friendly policy - just have a licence and a helmet on your bonce.

http://www.getgoinginsurance.co.uk/ - 4 medical things declared on their excellent screening section has added £0

Under £28 for an annual policy - Europe, excludes Spain. Enough days for any of my trips planned this year (Belgium & France at Easter, French Alps in June so far).

It's only the medical cover I want really. £10 million is higher than many policies so should be enough to stitch me back together if I fall off an Alp or need a lift home in a hermetically sealed box.

If you need better cover for gadgets or you will use expensive prepaid hotels, cruises, flights etc then they have many more levels of cover with added bells and whistles. They cover Spain and the rest of the world for higher premiums. Not sure what they have against the Spanish but they are lumped in with Turkey as far as risk.

20% cashback with Quidco/Topcashback

Attachments

• GG.jpg
    GG.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 381
My Travel insurance free with HSBC has the same limitation vis-a-vis motorcycling covered as an activity, providing I ride the bike to my holiday destination. I pointed out that if I say, trailered my bike to the Alps or entrusted the bike to a third party to transport for me whilst I flew down, I would not be covered to ride the bike when I arrived on holiday.

This meant that me flying (the safest form of transport A to B) or driving (arguably safer than riding) to join my bike would effectively reduce the underwriter's exposure, not increase it, so it made no sense. The underwriter agreed with me and agreed to waive the limitation.

Similarly, the underwriter agreed that me flying or driving down and then hiring a bike - for which I held an appropriate UK licence and then rode properly attired - would also be covered.

This waiving of the limitation occurred before I made a claim, when of course it's much easier to debate things rationally. Whilst I don't doubt that scenario one would work out the same had I not have called, scenario two might well have not been quite so straightforward after the event.

Naturally, I evidenced the substance of our conversation back to HSBC's insurance department in a contemporaneous note and kept it safe.

PS I only use the HSBC bank cover as it's free. I also buy a separate annual Travel policy to fill in any gaps and / or double up some of the coverages, death, injury, delay etc etc. It's so cheap to do so and it pays dividends when delayed overnight on the Chunnel. It has proved easier to claim under the HSBC policy than under for example the Post Office policy, which required far more hoops to jump through.

PPS The terms of HSBC's free policy change from time to time. Always check that nothing has altered.

I'll need to read the policy booklet with my Lloyds gold account, as I assumed I was covered.:eek::blast

Just looked at Aviva and Nationwide policy wording. Although riding your own bike over 125cc is covered, they both say you're only covered if "and you are wearing suitable protective clothing.", now who decides what is appropriate? Riding down to the beach in Spain you're not going to put full leathers, motorbike boots and back protector on - are you?

Back
Top Bottom